Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deep Freeze in the South

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Omg! A cluster-f**k of epic proportions. God Bless America, or God Help America? The anthem has to be reworded. And the oil industry is working double time to capitalize this epic corporate greed failure as the inevitable failure of alternative energy. Windmills keep stations in the Antarctic supplied with power. They are built to withstand -110 degrees!

There is something very very wrong with a system that allows power generation to deliver cheap electricity when everything is running smoothly but to clean up, big time, when things fail. What's the incentive to change? It's the Enron story all over again.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st February 2021), Dreamtimer (21st February 2021), Elen (21st February 2021), Emil El Zapato (20th February 2021), Wind (21st February 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Europe has also been hit with a bad cold front in the past week, with a strong current coming from the direction of Russia. As the matter of fact, I couldn't even get to the shops on Saturday because my car sleeps outside, and after having spent the better part of an hour scraping the snow and ice off of my car, I couldn't get the engine to start. Or that is to say, the battery was still functioning fine ─ to my surprise, because that battery is 9 years old already, while my original battery already died at only 6 years old ─ and the engine did tick over and made a few revs, but then it immediately stalled again after about a second with each attempt due to the oil in the sump having been frozen to a jelly. That has never happened to me before.

As of today, the temperatures over here are climbing again ─ I was actually outside earlier tonight, and the engine was purring like a happy cat all along ─ and come next weekend, we're going to be hitting 18°C, which is "I'll just leave my coat at home" weather, albeit that bringing an umbrella might not be a bad idea, because it's kinda rainy now. But so right now, we're getting a current from the South-West, which is notably (and thankfully) warmer.

Belgium is quite known for its capricious climate, but there's no denying that the global climate change phenomenon is having an impact on our weather. About a month ago, it was even snowing and freezing in Spain, which is at the Mediterranean and thus normally has a very warm climate compared to the rest of Europe. The images in the news were just as surreal then as the ones of Texas that I saw yesterday.
    We had a cold snap that lasted a few days with about a foot of snow, altogether. The polar vortex side swiped us a bit. Husband and I are on the same part of the grid as the hospital and other essential services so even when the electricity goes out, we are the first part of the system that is serviced. Nevertheless I installed a new propane fireplace, that will act as a back up, if need be.

Our climate here is classed as cool Mediterranean, with temperatures just a little cooler than Barcelona. But, it has been very capricious, Aragorn, like Belgium, for the last 15 years-- and it seems to get more so every year.

I hope you are comfortable today.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st February 2021), Dreamtimer (21st February 2021), Elen (21st February 2021), Emil El Zapato (20th February 2021), Wind (21st February 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    It's pretty bad when deaths aren't the main concern. How can people even believe they fight for capitalism when they're so willing to let folks die? Economic systems don't thrive when people are dying from pandemics, weather events, social unrest, system collapse and more. (I had to look up 'server farm').
    What Texans need is leadership. The problem is psychopaths don't lead, they control. A lot of people and particularly down South, in Q country, can't tell the difference.

NAP,

Hi! You okay today?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st February 2021), Dreamtimer (21st February 2021), Elen (21st February 2021), Wind (21st February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Yeah, but the problem is, you can't really use electricity to stay warm, at least not en masse and on a long-term basis. There is a reason colder countries and states burn stuff to keep warm, that's the only thing that actually works on a large scale.

So, it seems that this polar vortex thing will be a regular occurrence from now on, due to climate change, so ironically, Southerners will have to invest in some proper heating to be able to survive cold winter spells, which can last for weeks.

Another irony here is that the Texas power grid failed partly because they closed down so many coal-fired power plants and tried to replace them with renewables, such as solar and wind. Trouble is, when it's really cold, neither produces much electricity, so you need to burn something to keep warm.
    The ironic thing was that a couple of weeks ago I was doing a daily walk and in my neighborhood, there was a house with free firewood stacked at the curb. I thought once, then twice to grab a couple of logs just for kicks but I decided I was too lazy and figured when would I actually need them. Hah, little did I know. I was frustrated by my lack of insight.

On a side digression: (I had tried to conjure up some numbers to play a couple of weeks ago in the big lotteries and didn't win nuthin')

On that note about a week ago I had a dream that I won a drawing from a gas station of $4,000 or $1,000,000, it was not certain because the official results hadn't been posted yet. So because of other things to do, I waited until last night to check my numbers (not my conjured numbers) and didn't get a single number, not one.

And THEN, this morning I got a phone text claiming that I had won some drawing for $4,000. I hesitated for a very long second before I deleted the text. Now those damn scammers are reading my dreams. The no-good c*cks*ckers ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st February 2021), Chris (21st February 2021), Dreamtimer (21st February 2021), Elen (21st February 2021), Wind (21st February 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    When the Governor will get on TV and bold-faced blatantly lie about the grid, AOC, the nonexistent Green New Deal which has ZERO regulations or even bills voted on, and more, what should the people expect?

My real question is why do people keep electing people who will take their money and let them lose their houses and maybe die?

Why do they keep voting for this?

Oh man, NAP. The world sent you a sign, a little help. It can be hard to recognize those things.

And I'm glad you avoided the message. That would most likely have been a scam. Your dream may have been warning you.

Here's a fun take. You avoided the 4K scam, so now the doors are open for the big 1M win!

Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    What Texans need is leadership. The problem is psychopaths don't lead, they control. A lot of people and particularly down South, in Q country, can't tell the difference.
    And the huge irony is that all the conspiracies about the Dems trying to control them work perfectly to mask and deflect from the true controllers who openly say they'll take the tax dollars and screw you for wanting any services.

Example: Boyd.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st February 2021), Chris (21st February 2021), Elen (21st February 2021), Emil El Zapato (21st February 2021), Wind (21st February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    When the Governor will get on TV and bold-faced blatantly lie about the grid, AOC, the nonexistent Green New Deal which has ZERO regulations or even bills voted on, and more, what should the people expect?

My real question is why do people keep electing people who will take their money and let them lose their houses and maybe die?

Why do they keep voting for this?
    One word: brainwashing.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (22nd February 2021), Elen (22nd February 2021), Emil El Zapato (21st February 2021), Wind (21st February 2021)

Thanks
    Well, one of the major brainwashers has just passed. The Dittoheads cannot persevere with effigies or substitutes. So they will hopefully wane in strength and numbers.

The one bright side of this dark time is that the lie of the both-siderism has been exposed.

Americans, many anyway, will realize that one of the bird's wings really just doesn't give a shit about flying.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd February 2021), Elen (22nd February 2021), Emil El Zapato (22nd February 2021), Wind (22nd February 2021)

Thanks
    Despite being blamed, maligned and threatened, Notorious AOC has now raised five million dollars to help Texans in the aftermath of the deep freeze.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd February 2021), Elen (22nd February 2021), Emil El Zapato (22nd February 2021), Lord Sidious (23rd February 2021)

Thanks
    Honorable mention to Citizen O'Rourke who has also been working his butt off helping his fellow Texans.

It's refreshing to see a man work for the people rather than bitch, moan, blame, and then run away. Very refreshing.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd February 2021), Elen (22nd February 2021), Emil El Zapato (22nd February 2021)