Thread: Make your own coil lanyards

Thanks
    Thanked 48,689 Times in 10,221 Posts

Make your own coil lanyards

From the survivalist.

OK.....so I had some time on my hands and decided to try my hand at making coil lanyards, dummy cords or second lieutenant-assist cords (my favorite out of materials I had around the house. I did some research on the net and saw similar methods using some heavy duty 300lb. test line....so here's what I came up with.

Here's what I used to make these:

1. Pot to boil water.
    2. Large boil of cold water with ice.
    3. Some 1/4 dowels.
    4. Paracord.
    5. Weedeater line (I used the 0.08" size).

STEP 1.

Cut your dowels about 6-8 inches, depending on how long you want your cords.Drill some small holes on each end.

STEP 2.

Cut about 30" of both paracord and weedeater line.
    "Gut" your paracord and slip it over the weedeater line.

STEP 3.
    Slip one end of the weedeater line into the dowel and begin wrapping the cord around the dowel.....slipping it tightly against each coil.

Once complete, slip the remaining end into the other hole you drilled.

STEP 4.

Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.
    Drop the dowels into the boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
    Be careful........the paracord may melt if it stays at the bottom or side of the pot.

STEP 5.

Using tongs or pliers....take the dowels out of the pot and immediately immerse it into the bowl of ice water.
    Slip it off the dowel and let air dry.

STEP 6.

Here's where you can customize it to fit your needs. I simply 'spliced and whipped' some ends of paracord onto the ends using the 'gutted' strands of paracord making some loops.

You can use snap links or maybe some snap hooks whatever you want. You may want to dress it up some more and get some of those wire heat shrink tubes...it's up to you.

Use these for game calls, flashlights, knives.....you name it.

Still have to put it thru it's paces and perfect it....but I thought I'd share the wealth.

Good luck!
    No one person can ever change the truth, but the truth, once learned, can and will change the person

You must be the change you wish to see in the world when you are through changing, you are through

theonetruth forum status theonetruth facebook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The One For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th February 2021), Dreamtimer (16th February 2021), Elen (17th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th February 2021), Kathy (3rd March 2021), liderr (17th February 2021), Wind (17th February 2021)