Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancel Culture

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Beau lays out the history of Chinese and other asians being cancelled in myriad ways throughout the history of the US.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th March 2021), Aragorn (20th March 2021), Elen (20th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (19th March 2021)

Thanks
    Gen X now? (I'm just a lost generation)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (22nd March 2021), Elen (24th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (22nd March 2021), Wind (22nd March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,974 Times in 20,256 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post

As much as I can appreciate what that individual on Twitter says, he's putting a party-political spin on things by twisting the concept of cancel culture into a different meaning.

What he's talking about wasn't cancel culture but reactionary conservatism. Cancel culture isn't about abolishing anything current, but about neurotically rejecting anything that could possibly, how remotely ever, cause someone somewhere to experience some sort of self-appreciation issues due to their race, gender, sexual orientation or whatever, with as a result that the identity politics issues of those particular individuals must therefore by definition become issues for all people.

I've given examples higher up the thread already, and I am sorry to say that cancel culture is indeed a disease of the (primarily American) left. This has nothing to do with the reactionary tendency of the political right to want to undo any progress made by the left as soon as another Republican takes up residence in the White House ─ which is of course inevitably going to happen sooner or later.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Dreamtimer (22nd March 2021), Elen (24th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (22nd March 2021), Wind (22nd March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanks, Aragorn. There are many different takes on what cancel culture is, and recently some fingers have been pointed at Gen X. Peoples' reactions vary widely, obviously.

Bill Maher is capitalizing on the cancel culture from the left at the moment. Jordan Peterson has been for some years now. Both men are doing just fine.

People are losing jobs, like Alexi McCammond. Her tweets were seen as racist, she apologized for them, they were from when she was under eighteen years old.

But no editor-in-chief job at Teen Vogue for her. Has she been cancelled? Probably not. She'll get a job. Just not that coveted one.

Canada had a bunch of regulations that were problematic regarding pronouns. I don't see that happening here.

This article equates it with public shaming. An age-old practice. (used recently in India to encourage use of toilets).

My parents removed many of the 'controversial' Suess books from the shelves when I was a child. Suess wasn't cancelled then, and isn't now.

Forbes, in September, published an article saying that cancel culture has many definitions, but is certainly getting worse.

This Huffington Post article goes into great detail about the different takes on what cancel culture is and who is being targeted.

One of the most common forms of cancelling is in politics. A candidate can lose it all over one word-flub, or one old comment caught on tape. It used to just be a mainstream media thing. But now folks can jump on all kinds of media bandwagons and lay it on thick.

It may be that because there's been so little political power on the left, in particular during my adult life, the cultural backlash is seen as a remedy. But it won't last because it goes too far, there will be a backlash, and then we'll move on to the next form of cancellation.

Hopefully it won't be witch burnings.

Here's a piece of opinion that seems to hit it on the head when trying to define cancel culture.

Cancel culture is really just normalizing hostility and violence for whatever reason that the people doing the canceling feel like. When people take to acting on emotions alone, which is at the heart of cancel culture, we are allowing law and reason to depart from human rights.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (23rd March 2021), Elen (24th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (22nd March 2021)

Thanks
    A fellow named Tim Miller wrote about cancel culture. He was involved in a personal kind of cancellation over something on Facebook.

My situation is a prime example of how the “cancel culture” conversation has been degraded by the conflation of one real problem (normal people feeling like they can’t say their opinions without being fired—or worse, that they’ll get fired for the old opinions) with two not real problems: (1) public figures being criticized for something they’ve done (hi Andrew Cuomo, you have not been cancelled) and (2) the supposed “stifling” of political speech online (which is somehow occurring during a historic high-water mark for political speech).

Decoupling these matters is the only way that we can begin to address the real problem. But the people who are obsessed with “cancel culture” keep commingling them, for self-serving reasons. While the people who are pro-cancellation— or at least anti-anti-cancellation—use the stupid non-cancellations as a shield to pretend the problems don’t exist at all.
    More here.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (27th March 2021), Elen (28th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (27th March 2021), Wind (28th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    I’d rather be a “social justice warrior” than the antithesis, the “cancel culture warrior”

So called SJWs spend their energy trying to help the oppressed be harmed less. CCWs spend their energy sticking up for assholes that are penalized for breaking the current rules/norms of our predatory capitalist hierarchy.

It’s so fucking dumb
    What is the purpose of your presence?

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (3rd April 2021), Dreamtimer (3rd April 2021), Elen (3rd April 2021), Emil El Zapato (3rd April 2021), Wind (3rd April 2021)

Thanks
    I agree. I can recall when my parents got rid of a couple Dr. Seuss books. We kept the rest and it wasn't a problem. No one thought Dr. Seuss was being cancelled.

It is dumb, donk. And it's a distraction too, imo.

There have been some real issues recently, but it's not really a new dynamic. People have been blackballed forever. People can be banned from restaurants/bars/venues. People are kept out of influential clubs, etc.

Cancelling, or attempting to cancel, the influence or popularity of a person is nothing new.

Overreaction is certainly a problem. People make mistakes. People can learn and people need to forgive.

Live and learn is much better than cancelling, imo.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (3rd April 2021), donk (3rd April 2021), Elen (6th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (3rd April 2021), Wind (3rd April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post

This is a fact, it's why the conservatives canonized Reagan. Anybody that is willing to kick the sh*t out of those that are down is their kind of hero and is Da' man.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (3rd April 2021), donk (3rd April 2021), Elen (6th April 2021), Wind (3rd April 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    This is a fact, it's why the conservatives canonized Reagan. Anybody that is willing to kick the sh*t out of those that are down is their kind of hero and is Da' man.
    I don't even know what to think, feel, say. Cancel culture is a conspiracy. It's an emotional response to not getting one's way. The loudest voices as always are full of crapola. The real people that are cancelled are never heard from, they are mice, dogs, and other less than human folks, in the eye of the beholder that is. The people complaining about them mostly fall into two categories. No actually just one, not really fully formed individuals stuck in their 'me' phase. I've been there. I heard on the radio just yesterday there's a 'new' program to help women navigate and survive divorce. I almost wrecked my car. Women have had a handbook for f*cking over their husbands since the Annunaki ruled. Help women survive divorce, that's hilarious, it's a form of capitalism for them. Not to mention that over 70% of divorces are initiated by women for nothing more than existential angst.

Is that justice? Who cares, there is no such thing as justice. Is that fair? Who cares there is no such thing as fairness.

Not everyone is a social justice warrior that expresses themselves with 'bitchin'. Some actually want the best for everyone. And I agree with the Donkster, I would much rather be on the side of the bitches that really want to help people and have an intrinsic sense of right and wrong, fairness and justice.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (3rd April 2021), Dreamtimer (4th April 2021), Elen (6th April 2021), Wind (3rd April 2021)

Thanks
    Not all women are manipulators. Many are abused and terrorized by their husbands. Or they have no support from family/friends, and no way to make their own living. Or they're terrified of losing their children. Or their husband has an aggressive lawyer.

And there are women exactly as you say, pal. In fact, we were just talking with a family member who has PTSD from his relationship with his ex wife who was physically abusive among other things. Even now, his daughter is afraid to contact him because of what his ex might do.

But let us not ridicule women who need help. There are a great many.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (4th April 2021), Elen (6th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th April 2021), Wind (4th April 2021)

Thanks
    I'm having fun now watching the losers who have to shut voters out in droves to even win elections anymore and who've been whining and moaning about cancel culture now try to cancel big corporations like Coca-Cola, and tell them to 'stay out of politics' while also telling them it's OK to give lots of money.

Give money, sit down, shut up.

We gave you your bailouts, we gave you your tax breaks, now shut up.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (7th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (7th April 2021), Wind (7th April 2021)

Thanks
    You know this is a good thing for all the alts. You wanna bring down the system. Hope big bidness and Republicans go to war!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,974 Times in 20,256 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    You know this is a good thing for all the alts. You wanna bring down the system. Hope big bidness and Republicans go to war!
    At this point, I think a little introspection among the participants of this thread is called for. This thread is about the subject of cancel culture ─ which, as I've already had to clarify on a few occasions now ─ has nothing to do with party politics or with the United States of America. In fact, if anything, then the drive behind cancel culture primarily comes from the so-called political left-wing. And yet every time, you guys turn this around into a US-party-political matter, and into shoving the blame for cancel culture onto the US Republicans.

I don't think I need to still tell anyone that I consider myself moderately progressive (and thus left-wing), but what you guys are doing to this thread is just plain wrong. Perhaps you haven't even noticed that Catsquotl, who started this thread, has stopped participating in this discussion, but I have, and I'm fairly certain that this is because of how you guys have time and again been turning this thread onto the matter of the US-political, and for that matter, pro-Democrat/anti-Republican vantage. And that is all-telling.

Anyway, I guess this thread, too, will thus from here on be one that I won't even be wasting my time looking at anymore. I am not a US American, and this Team Blue partisanship here at the forum is getting just as old as the Team Red partisanship we've seen being played out here earlier, and that on occasion still pops up its head here and there.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Dreamtimer (8th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (7th April 2021), Fred Steeves (7th April 2021), modwiz (7th April 2021), Wind (7th April 2021)

Thanks
    Well, I have noticed the constant traffic regarding whatever cancel culture is. So I should probably switch my interests and start checking out the yokel thread. That's always a hootenanny!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Dreamtimer (8th April 2021)

Thanks
    I'm sorry Aragorn. I've witnessed variants of cancel culture for four decades now.

It's really quite difficult to limit myself as you say. It's really been a much bigger thing than what's been coming from the left. That's just the latest incarnation.

But I'll drop the politics from this thread.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Aragorn (9th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2021)