Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancel Culture

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Cancel culture is neurotic, stupid--for people who don't have enough real world problems and constantly on the lookout for some kind of minor offense. There's this other social phenomenon I find equally disturbing though, and that is conflating SJW's, Cancel Culture with movements like the BLM movement. As if being sensitive to and irate about cops killing blacks in the U.S, for no good reason, belongs under the same umbrella.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th February 2021), Aragorn (9th February 2021), Catsquotl (9th February 2021), donk (10th February 2021), Dreamtimer (9th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (9th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Cancel culture is neurotic, stupid--for people who don't have enough real world problems and constantly on the lookout for some kind of minor offense. There's this other social phenomenon I find equally disturbing though, and that is conflating SJW's, Cancel Culture with movements like the BLM movement. As if being sensitive to and irate about cops killing blacks in the U.S, for no good reason, belongs under the same umbrella.
    Agreed,
    although there seems to be a difference between the BLM sentiments as picked up by the general population and the people who receive the funding for the so called BLM movement and their agenda's.
    Have a great day today

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th February 2021), Aragorn (9th February 2021), Dreamtimer (9th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (9th February 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Cancel cultured my second repeat post!
    Last edited by Octopus Garden, 9th February 2021 at 04:32.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th February 2021), Aragorn (9th February 2021), Dreamtimer (9th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (9th February 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Catsquotl View Post
    Agreed,
    although there seems to be a difference between the BLM sentiments as picked up by the general population and the people who receive the funding for the so called BLM movement and their agenda's.
    The problem is very few of the knuckleheads I have communicated with about this issue, can make the distinction between BLM leadership and their following. How about the outraged, "Well, democrats are funding them!!!" So what? The repuglicans are likely funding the KKK. It's so obnoxious--this whole shit show.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th February 2021), Aragorn (9th February 2021), Dreamtimer (9th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (9th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Is cancel culture still taking a foothold in USA, will trot round the western ( maybe more ) world if so or maybe not as USAian behaviour has not been the best to stepfoot follow of late.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th February 2021), Dreamtimer (9th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (10th February 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,904 Times in 446 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    the people, of course. If people could regulate themselves, it would be amazing to see how well society functions. And before you ask ... ... The more power a citizen has the more responsible and self-moderating they should be. As the old saying goes ... "Doo doo rolls downhill"
    And that's how the Soviets took control...

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th February 2021), Aragorn (9th February 2021), Dreamtimer (9th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (10th February 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I wondered whether Budweiser was trying to 'cancel' something when they didn't run commercials during the Super Bowl. Turns out they're focusing efforts, and cash, into fighting Covid and helping to get out vaccines.

Back in the day, Prince performed in the rain. He didn't care about his hair, he cared about the music.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th February 2021), Aragorn (9th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (10th February 2021)

Thanks
    I'll check out the book. I've never been against the idea of anarchy, personally. I have a friend who had an anarchist book store in Baltimore for several years. He's a cool dude, smart and funny. And he never tried to boss me around or act like his ideas were the right ones.

It was nice to hang out with him.

My personal qualm is like what I have with libertarians. People say they're libertarians, and then they just vote with the mainstream Republicans. They support plenty of things which interfere in folks' lives, just in the ways that they want to interfere.

When people say they are anarchists I wonder what they think it means. Because, beyond my friend, most people I've met don't really seem to know what anarchy actually is.

Sort of like how people don't really know what antifa is.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th February 2021), Aragorn (9th February 2021), Catsquotl (9th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (10th February 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Sort of like how people don't really know what antifa is.
    What would you say is antifa?

Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    The problem is very few of the knuckleheads I have communicated with about this issue, can make the distinction between BLM leadership and their following. How about the outraged, "Well, democrats are funding them!!!" So what? The repuglicans are likely funding the KKK. It's so obnoxious--this whole shit show.
    Well most of the first steps in critical thinking is learning to follow the money.
    Granted, stopping at the level of politics is hardly following a trail.

So after making the distinction between leadership and following.
    How to proceed to acknowledge the followings outrage and putting a break on the leadership's agenda?
    Have a great day today

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th February 2021), Aragorn (9th February 2021), Dreamtimer (10th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2021), Wind (10th February 2021)

Thanks
    I don't know yet. But yesterday I learned something new (or forgotten, I didn't really pay attention in history).

When Mussolini attacked Ethiopia, the League of Nations did not intervene. The news reels of the military action played in US theaters. Black Americans were quite angry and formed an organization to fight fascism. An 'anti-fascist' organization.

A light bulb went on in my head. So much more makes sense now. If it was an organization started by black folks...

No wonder it gets pulled out as soon as a movement springs up to help empower black people.

So now I wonder how often the term has been used in the past surrounding activities of groups like the Black Panthers.

I will be looking into this further.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th February 2021), Aragorn (10th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2021), Wind (10th February 2021)

Thanks
    Well, Cats, you spurred me to do some more looking into antifa. I don't really want to start a thread. Perhaps I'll find one to post on.

It certainly looks like antifa wants to cancel fascism. It's pretty hard to argue with cancelling fascism.

But of course, there's much more than that.

I'm already seeing a lot of the phrase, 'radical left'.

Honestly, that still amuses me. Yes, it does have some history in the US. And it's not a major driving force in America. We have many more threats coming from the right, because as a nation, we are much more to the right.

As I suspected, issues of race and black power are closely intertwined. And this is how it goes in America. Straw men and scapegoats. Blacks are asking to have their lives seen as something that matters. Time to pull out the trigger words.

Antifa! Antifa! Radical left! Radical left!

And as more folks on the right engage in terror, as in Michigan and our nation's Capitol, look for the rhetoric to expand.

It will be left-wing terrorists in every other report. From the not-really-so-liberal media, of course.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th February 2021), Aragorn (10th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2021), Wind (11th February 2021)

Thanks
    Aha so the antifa and BLM riots and violence was fake news DT, was interesting that there was more white than black people within the terrorist antifa movement.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    Aha so the antifa and BLM riots and violence was fake news DT, was interesting that there was more white than black people within the terrorist antifa movement.
    Don't keep us in suspense. What do you know about the origins of antifa and their agenda?
    Have a great day today

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th February 2021), Aragorn (10th February 2021), Dreamtimer (10th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2021), Wind (11th February 2021)

Thanks
    Look who founder/s was, read wiki bio.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    You sound offended Donk and appear to have engaged in the dem - rep , left - rite straight away ?.
    Dem-rep sure offends the fuck out of me, slightly less than you do. No one should get to broadcast lies and propaganda without any consequences. Most “cancel culture” is just disingenuous arguments, asshole victims whining when there’s consequences to them being an asshole.

We should be empathetic enough to remove black face from our traditions when non-whites find it offensive. You’re an asshole if you have problem with that. If your “tradition” is that important to you, do it where no one who’d be offended can see it. Nothing can be “canceled” if it is true and valid and harmless and of value.

Christ, you should be a Republican lawyer, clearly your calling.

People with the ability to, have “canceled” what they wanted for time immemorial, “cancel culture” is just moron right wingers twisting the concept to weaponize it against the actual victims of it—making themselves seem the victim in the process—all the while not calling out those with the power actually “doing it”.
    What is the purpose of your presence?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (11th February 2021), Dreamtimer (10th February 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2021), Wind (11th February 2021)