Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Cancel Culture

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    The self cancelling aspect of cancell culture is huge on many divides but that is imo what it all be about, Divides, you know dividing, add politics to really divide, soon imo pro groups are going to get big, pro something positive, like when pro building a wall is now being done by both sides, so lets all be pro wall n not pro trump n party or pro biden n party, simply pro wall because it works not because both doing it.

Away from cancel to pro, pro ice cream every nite, pro non political threads, pro adorable kittens

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th April 2021), Elen (8th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    ain't no wall ... walls are only good for keeping people in ... that's why it's called a 'Prison Planet' ... I hope this is a cancel culture thought ... if not, I suppose I'll have to apologize in advance.

BOB
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Elen (8th April 2021)

Thanks
    I got this email a little while ago. I can't swear to the provenance but the contents while not a picture still paints a mouthful of words:

Hi Vyexules,

Who knew that in 2021, in America, we would be fighting for free speech?

Yet, for the past few years, leftist activists, megacorporations, social media titans, Hollywood elites, and the mainstream media have been silencing speech they don’t like.

If they don’t like it, they censor it. If it offends them, they cancel it and the person or the organization saying or posting it. We see it time and again in our own interactions and even in our private Facebook group.

Stand Up for Free Speech

According to the American Bar Association:
    “The Supreme Court has held strongly to the view that our nation believes in the public exchange of ideas and open debate, that the response to offensive speech is to speak in response. The dichotomy—society generally favoring free speech, but individuals objecting to the protection of particular messages—and the debate over it seem likely to continue unabated.”
    The ABA references the college campus controversies regarding free speech as an example of “freedom of speech in flux.”

As the ABA noted, “contrary to widely held misimpressions, there is not a category of speech known as ‘hate speech’ that may uniformly be prohibited or punished.” While some people may hate certain speech, it does not mean it is hate speech, despite the radical actions being taken in today’s cancel culture.

Stand Up for Free Speech

Today’s cancel culture is becoming increasingly more toxic. And it’s resulting in less access to information that is necessary for a healthy society and well-balanced dialogue.

In the case regarding former President Trump’s blocked Twitter account, “a federal judge ruled that blocking access to individuals based on their viewpoint violated the First Amendment."

We cannot let FREE speech get CANCELED. We must protect the most sacred American value of free speech before it’s too late.

Sign the Free Speech Pledge today.

Thanks,

Victoria Coley
    Vice President of Communications

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2021), Elen (8th April 2021)

Thanks
    Funny person BOBXNAP, all part of evolving the cancel and divide n assist people to see themselves or their slavery unknown OR know thyself connect-etc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Elen (8th April 2021)

Thanks
    I reckon' the entire forum missed my post/thought/point/reflection/observation/lesson/intuition/hegelian dialectic manifestation/realization/realism/truism/drop shadow/double-bind/history lesson/meta-cognitive/meme-filled ambient/nonsensical debate/awareness of superficial thought processes/contra-defense/inescapable egoism/contextually restricted/misapprehesions of connectedness/denial/sheer psychic blindness/self-absorbption/projective perspective/dishonest invective/indefensible moral culpitude (A situation of futile hopelessness combining the salient elements of personal culpability and moral turpitude) which all point to the differences between apolitics and politics and moral values.

The simple fact that we can't see the differences points to the heart of perspective. Perspective is important but not when it is obscured with petty annoyances leading away from the meat of the subject or provide opportunities for passive-aggressive cowardice.

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much, Elvis the bob is now leaving the building ... but only for a cigarette and a cup of coffee.

damn, i always do this ... I missed 'Knowledge passed on from children'
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 9th April 2021 at 10:20.

Thanks
    I am serious about this.

When you have gotten my point please let me know.

I receive these unsolicited emails due to the hacking of my electronics several months ago. It has been reported to me by various internet security organizations that my email is on the dark web... so,

The below addressee, ostensibly me, is a computer-generated name used to penetrate and spread Jain technology (Alien technology created for one purpose ... destroy all living intelligent life) throughout the global network.

Hi Vyexules,

What do Teen Vogue, Coca-Cola, and Major League Baseball have in common?

They’ve all been willing participants of cancel culture… in the most hypocritical way. Speak up about cancel culture by taking this secure survey today.

Take Teen Vogue, for example. The managers at Teen Vogue were well within their rights to fire their editor-in-chief because of decade-old offensive tweets. Employment in a high-profile editorial job at an elite employer like Vogue magazine is a privilege, not a right.

But if they were to apply their standards equally, they’d also fire their senior social media manager who published a letter reportedly signed by more than 20 staffers rejecting the editor-in-chief… while she also had decade-old offensive tweets and was left untouched.

Then there’s Major League Baseball, the latest corporation to engage in selective outrage. The MLB chose to punish Americans in Georgia over misleading and false reports about their election law, while continuing business-as-usual with China, despite its evident human rights abuses.

Reminder: China doesn’t have voting rights…. nor does it have any basic rights or freedoms. And this move by MLB cost Georgia $100 million.

What’s next? Is cancel culture coming for you?

These incidents could be an opening for a national dialogue about redemption, racial reconciliation, and forgiveness. But instead of educating and discussing in a civilized manner, the forces that be decided to cancel those with whom they disagreed.

How are we to heal and unite as a nation if this is the standard operating procedure?

If you’ve had enough of the double standards, SPEAK UP. Share your opinions about cancel culture today.

Thanks,

Carrie Sheffield

P.S. Read more about the MLB move here and the Teen Vogue incident here.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th April 2021), Elen (11th April 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Boycotts have been around for a long time. They are a way to resist or bring forth change which is not violent or destructive.

To call them cancel culture is to cop out of the conversation.

How about we stop cancelling peoples' right to vote instead of making laws based on lies?

I'd much rather see activism like boycotting than shootings.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (11th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th April 2021)

Thanks
    I keep hearing 'cancel culture' being used as a shield to defend against getting caught in wrongdoing and lawbreaking.

Whether it's the thoroughbred trainer, the church leader, politicians, or talking heads, they're all whining about getting caught breaking the law and calling it cancel culture.

Whatever legitimate concerns exist regarding the reality of cancel culture, which is real, it's being bastardized and lost by all the whiners hiding behind 'cancel culture'.

They're literally cancelling any gravitas the term had left.

Sad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (4th June 2021)

Thanks
    Whom are you hearing that from ?, important who you are hearing this from indeed, once we hear who you are hearing your beliefs n thoughts and mind energy to create from, then we may be able to flower here maybe, Trumps off air as such, biden is not really with us, Kamala next in charge but you seen her communicating, like wow and how the heck, mmmm who is moving the chess pieces.

BUT most important, who are you hearing this from Dreamtimer ?.

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    Whom are you hearing that from ?, important who you are hearing this from indeed, once we hear who you are hearing your beliefs n thoughts and mind energy to create from, then we may be able to flower here maybe, Trumps off air as such, biden is not really with us, Kamala next in charge but you seen her communicating, like wow and how the heck, mmmm who is moving the chess pieces.

BUT most important, who are you hearing this from Dreamtimer ?.
    ohhhhhhhh Aianawa,

Haven't you heard? The Golden One may get his throne back!

Thanks
    I'm hearing it all over the place, Aianawa. One person after another, who has been caught in fraud or drugging horses or bilking their followers, or embezzling or other crimes and wrongdoing and they're crying 'cancel culture!'

Because they don't want to take responsibility.

It's being used as an excuse.

And I do mean all over the place. It's not necessary to search for examples. They pop up left, right and center.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (5th June 2021), Malisa (8th June 2021)

Thanks
    Andrew Doyle is an Irish journalist and writer best known as the creator of the Twitter personality Titania McGrath, a parody of an ultra-woke, 24-year-old, militant vegan who thinks she is a better poet than William Shakespeare. Though the 43-year-old Doyle describes himself as a left-winger, he is a fierce critic of cancel culture and a proponent of Brexit. He holds a doctorate from the University of Oxford in early Renaissance poetry, is the host of the new nightly show GB News, and is a columnist for Spiked. (He's a previous guest on The Reason Interview With Nick Gillespie.)

Doyle is also the author of the new book Free Speech and Why It Matters, a comprehensive, learned, and compelling argument in favor of unfettered debate and open expression. Nick Gillespie talks with him about why cancel culture is on the rise, how to combat it, and what Titania McGrath is up to as she approaches her quarter-life crisis.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7NEs1cYdAw

I haven't come across Titania (other than in the Talisman Woodlands expansion). I'm definitely interested in the book.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th June 2021), Gio (11th February 2022)

Thanks
    Things are getting serious when someone loses their job and then children are potentially put in danger. This looks like cancel culture on steroids.

On Monday, Dr. Michelle Fiscus, a pediatrician who has been in charge of vaccination programs for the state of Tennessee for the past two years, was fired from her position.

Why? Because of an informational memo she sent to her staff. She didn’t create the policy she described in the memo. But she paid the price for daring to inform her staff that such a policy existed, and in fact has existed for 34 years.

She wrote the memo after getting guidance from the TN Department of Health’s general counsel. It was this policy that she outlined in her memo that got her fired. Because a staff member that received the memo threw a fit and posted the memo to social media, which of course then cause many more people to throw a fit and rage at their legislators, who then...well, Fiscus lost her job. Because I guess someone’s head had to roll for daring to mention a decades old policy that some people don’t like.
    Dr Fiscus' statement after being fired was published in The Tennessean.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (19th July 2021), Gio (10th February 2022), Octopus Garden (22nd July 2021)

Thanks
    Cancel Culture is the ultimate "ooh, shiny!" and people are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Here in the US, the latest 'horrific' examples include some Dr. Seuss books, M&Ms, Potato Head, Minnie Mouse in a pant suit, and more. And the dimwittery is such that millions seem to now believe that it's the Biden Administration doing this. An idea that's delusional. Not that that matters.

The shiny distraction is crucial so that the book banning, now the book burning, the ratting on neighbors, the vigilante justice, the teachers ratting on kids for talking about transgender identity, the kids ratting on the teachers for teaching the 'wrong' things, cameras in classrooms, suing teachers, continued abuse of libraries as regard free speech and access to information....

Boy do they need that "OH SHINY!" of Cancel Culture. They need it real bad. Bigly.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Gio (10th February 2022)

Thanks
    Florida is now trying to pass a bill so that kids simply cannot talk about being gay in school. Teachers simply cannot discuss it.

And people want to whine about poor little Joe Rogan.

It's reached the point where I now can tell how bad a person's judgement is. Just listen to what they think is 'woke' and 'cancel culture'.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Fred Steeves (11th February 2022)