Thread: Esther in Conversation with Jimmy Thomas

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts

Esther in Conversation with Jimmy Thomas

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OsTzM3UICI

"Oct 8, 2019 by Esther Austin Global

Solo Artist/Singer/Songwriter Jimmy Thomas, who once performed with Ike and Tina Turner talks to Esther about life in the music industry and some of those icons who inspired him.

Jimmy's career took off with Ike and Tina Turner as one of their featured singers and since then he's worked with everyone from John Lennon to The Rolling Stones and now Jimmy does what Jimmy does best singing majestic blues and soul."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Elen (31st January 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WSj-OfNFlU

"Oct 4, 2019 by Esther Austin Global

Mr Stevenson was dubbed the first A& R Man of Motown Records. Here he talks about his time at Motown, the artists he met and and his take on what it takes to become successful.

In addition to his A&R duties, Stevenson wrote and produced many hit records for Motown, some with co-writer and producer Ivy Jo Hunter. They included his biggest success, "Dancing in the Street” which he co-wrote with Hunter and Marvin Gaye; "It Takes Two" (with Gaye and Kim Weston [Stevenson’s former wife]); "Ask the Lonely" for the Four Tops; Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted;” "My Baby Loves Me" Martha & The Vandellas; "Can You Jerk Like Me" by The Contours; "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" for Stevie Wonder and Gaye's "Stubborn Kind of Fellow.” He also wrote "Devil with the Blue Dress On" in 1964 with Shorty Long, which became a hit for Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels in 1966.

Mr Stevenson also has a book out called

Motown's First A & R Man Presents The A & R Man"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Elen (1st February 2021)