Thread: UFOs, Alien Life and Human Limitation with John Michael Greer

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts

UFOs, Alien Life and Human Limitation with John Michael Greer

It's quite amazing how watching a video by Chris Hedges has led me nearly immediately to this. From Collapse, to EcoSophia, to Hermetics. (or, in this case, Hermitix)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxV6tCa5PEI

John Michael Greer is an American author who writes on collapse, ecology, religion, philosophy, politics, appropriate technology, oil depletion and the occult. In this episode we discuss his book *The UFO Chronicles: How Science Fiction, Shamanic Experiences, and Secret Air Force Projects Created the UFO Myth*

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th December 2020), Elen (31st December 2020), Emil El Zapato (11th January 2021), GCS1103 (3rd January 2021), Kathy (30th December 2020), Wind (30th December 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Re 'getting the UFO debate out of the rut':

"You have the Donnelly current of... 'Here is my pet theory and I'm going to prove it," and the Forte current of, "I don't believe anyones theories, even my own. Here's the data."

I'm not a side-taker, never joined a clique, but I'll take the Forte approach any day.

(apologies if I spelled names wrong)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th January 2021), Elen (12th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Keeping all your eggs in one basket is a decidedly bad idea ... every ~67 millions years we experience a civilization ending event. We've got about 2 million years to go before another occurs (on average). If the speaker calls that a good life for a species then he is correct. Life, in particular, Intelligent life (as we describe it) doesn't tend to 'feel' good about that. The Earth while mostly in a stable solar environment is considered past its prime in terms of planetary evolution. The sun in several billions years will put at end to any of our fantasies. We have to move out at some point. After all, we could be hit by a planet ending celestial body tomorrow.

Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Re 'getting the UFO debate out of the rut':

"You have the Donnelly current of... 'Here is my pet theory and I'm going to prove it," and the Forte current of, "I don't believe anyones theories, even my own. Here's the data."

I'm not a side-taker, never joined a clique, but I'll take the Forte approach any day.

(apologies if I spelled names wrong)
    yeah, I'm with you ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th January 2021), Elen (12th January 2021)