Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump urged to pardon Assange before he leaves office

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts

Trump urged to pardon Assange before he leaves office

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFqGLTfItXg

"Dec 18, 2020 by RT

A recently revealed Julian Assange tape, the authenticity of which was confirmed by Wikileaks editor-in chief Kristinn Hrafnsson, has prompted more than 400,000 people around the world to sign a petition calling for US officials to 'drop charges' against Assange and urging Donald Trump to pardon him."

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Aragorn (18th December 2020), Dreamtimer (18th December 2020), Elen (18th December 2020), Wind (19th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Would he really do the right thing now as he hasn't done so before?

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), donk (19th December 2020), Dreamtimer (18th December 2020), Elen (18th December 2020), Emil El Zapato (18th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020), Lord Sidious (20th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Hi Wind,

maybe we can tell by his decision on Assange. I've expressed my opinions on Assange and it the alt world it isn't a popular one. Perhaps we shall see. Personally, I believe that Trump is thoroughly 'different'. Call him a wonder, a dog, a reprobate, a hero ... Call him what you will, but the 'book' in its great untainted wisdom say that a man can be judged by the fruit he bears. Trump is on his way to Eden:

Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 18th December 2020 at 14:29.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Dreamtimer (18th December 2020), Elen (18th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020)

Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Elen (19th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I believe he would do the thing that would get him some money or some popularity. If Trump thinks that sort of pardon would make him popular, he might do it. But it really probably depends on what his bud, Putin, thinks.

He certainly doesn't seem concerned about covid deaths or the massive hacking of our security systems which happened over an eight month period and which Trump has said nothing about.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), donk (19th December 2020), Elen (19th December 2020), Emil El Zapato (18th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020)

Thanks
    The Buried Truth of a Key Detail Used to Defend Julian Assange
    - Matt Novak -

Julian Assange taken from a British court on May 1, 2019 after being sentenced to 50 weeks in jail for jumping bail in 2012

Allies of Julian Assange have been using quotes from his accusers to claim that the sexual assault charges against him are fake. One quote that’s been circulating on social media this week even says, “it was the police who fabricated the charges.” What’s the problem? The only source of the quotes is Julian Assange himself. And they may not even be direct quotes, despite being presented as such.

Assange, the 47-year-old co-founder of WikiLeaks, currently faces extradition to Sweden after a rape case against him was reopened yesterday. But quotes keep popping up on Twitter that are being attributed to Assange’s alleged victims—quotes that claim one of Assange’s accusers didn’t want to charge Assange with anything and that the local police concocted the sexual assault allegations.

According to journalist John Pilger in a tweet published yesterday, one of the victims texted a friend, “I did not want to put any charges against JA,” presumably referring to Julian Assange. Pilger quotes another text message that reads, “it was the police who fabricated the charges.”

Where did these quotes come from? The source is Julian Assange’s own affidavit from September 2013, published on the WikiLeaks website. But even these quotes aren’t represented accurately.

Assange’s affidavit includes supposedly damning quotes like:

The woman concerned told a friend that she felt that she had been “railroaded by police and others around her”, according to the latter’s police statement.

Assange’s affidavit also includes this quote, supposedly from a text message:

“it was the police who made up the charges”.

As any journalist knows, words you put in quotation marks are supposed to be a direct quote; an accurate representation of the literal words used. There’s supposed to be no room for error in a direct quote, especially in an age with ubiquitous voice recorders and text messages. In this case, Assange was quoting text messages, so readers would reasonably assume that the victim literally said, “it was the police who made up the charges.” But you have to go all the way to Assange’s footnotes at the end of his affidavit to learn the truth:

My lawyers have been refused a copy of the phone records in full; the citation is paraphrased and is a direct quote from my lawyers’ email.

Oh, really? It’s a “direct quote” from an email by Assange’s lawyers of something that’s been paraphrased? That’s not how quotes work. Especially if you bury the truth about the “quotes” in footnotes. Since it’s not clear what “the citation is paraphrased” means, it could be directly quoting Assange’s lawyers’ assessment of the situation, that’s not what’s being implied by Assange or his defenders. In fact, it’s not at all clear what kind of access to phone records, if any, Assange’s lawyers were given by authorities.

The internet subsequently played its game of telephone after Assange’s affidavit was published online in 2013, and the context was completely lost. Assange allies like journalist John Pilger, former British politician Craig Murray, and journalist Ben Norton have all been using the quotes to claim that the charges against Assange have been fabricated. They sometimes allege that the American intelligence community is behind the accusations in retaliation for Assange’s publication of embarrassing State Department diplomatic cables and sensitive military videos.

Norton even tweeted a screenshot of the Assange affidavit, merely identifying the quotes as coming directly from “court documents.”

And while it’s technically accurate to describe Assange’s affidavit as a “court document,” the quotes definitely have a different complexion when you learn that they’re filtered through Assange and his lawyers and not directly from the women themselves.

From the affidavit:

My lawyers in Sweden, Per E. Samuelson and Thomas Olsson, were able to review the phone records that are part of the investigation, including SMS traffic between the two women and between SW and some of the witnesses. My lawyers notified me via email on 8 December 2011 of the content of twenty-two of these messages.

As you may have noticed, this statement and the citation above add some confusion about Assange’s lawyers’ access to the relevant phone records. Did they review them but not just get a copy of the full records? Did they review only portions of the phone records? As mentioned, it’s unclear and adds more confusion over the accuracy of the quotes.

Assange has been sentenced by a British court to just under one year in prison for skipping bail back in 2012 on the sex assault charges in Sweden. Assange claimed asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where he lived for almost seven years before the Ecuadorians kicked him out in April. It’s now up to the British authorities whether to extradite Assange to the U.S. or to Sweden.

Admittedly, the charges brought against Assange by the U.S. Justice Department are pretty flimsy, all things considered. The WikiLeaks founder has been charged with one count of attempting to hack a classified computer, something that the Obama administration refused to do because they were concerned about the implications for journalism and free speech. But the Trump regime clearly has no such worries about overstepping their authority. And why would they? They’ve overstepped in myriad ways that are currently eroding the rule of law in the United States, doing everything from refusing to honor lawful subpoenas from Congress for President Trump’s tax returns to opening investigations into the president’s political opponents.

[me: Don't of necessity agree with this...Assange craves power and has a dark heart and comes from the same place as the Murdoch empire]

Julian Assange doesn’t belong in prison for the journalism he’s produced, even if he broke a lot of journalism rules and actively solicited a political appointment from the Trump regime as he was releasing stolen emails meant to damage Hillary Clinton. But all of that is independent of the sexual assault accusations that have been brought by two women in Sweden after their encounters with Assange in 2010.

The statute of limitations has expired for one of the women, but the second one is going to be investigated whether Assange likes it or not. As it should be. And Assange’s allies will no doubt continue to insist that the charges are a frame-up job, but they should stop using third-hand “quotes” to do it.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Dreamtimer (18th December 2020), Elen (19th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020)

Thanks

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Elen (19th December 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I believe he would do the thing that would get him some money or some popularity. If Trump thinks that sort of pardon would make him popular, he might do it. But it really probably depends on what his bud, Putin, thinks.

He certainly doesn't seem concerned about covid deaths or the massive hacking of our security systems which happened over an eight month period and which Trump has said nothing about.
    Agreed

Poor Asange, all he needed to do was release some truth that makes DJT look good, in any fashion

Sucks for JA that such a thing does not exist
    What is the purpose of your presence?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Elen (19th December 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020), Wind (19th December 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    In Sweden, rape is a very loosely defined, legally. He also could have been set up. Whenever I hear the term rape, I want to know for sure what is meant by that.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Aragorn (19th December 2020), Elen (19th December 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020), Wind (19th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    I feel he is already free, just not allowed to be known yet.

Some evidence supports this, as in no photo or recent seeing of him.

He is extremely smart and deserves full freedom imo.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th December 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020), Wind (19th December 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    In Sweden, rape is a very loosely defined, legally. He also could have been set up. Whenever I hear the term rape, I want to know for sure what is meant by that.
    He was set up.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Aragorn (19th December 2020), Elen (20th December 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020)

Thanks
    but they have him in custody and all they have to do is squeeze him. No need for an investigation. If he's cleared for the morality charges, he should be kept away from computers, as any convicted hacker would be sentenced. He is much more a danger to international stability than he is 'whistleblower'. There is just TOO much of 'me' in his calculation. No balance in his work, he needs to buy himself a pair of 'New Balance' sneakers. Wow, that was loaded ... I'm so proud of my similictical and metaphoricallity abilities.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Concretely in his case, the charges were that he had unsafe sex with two women ─ not simultaneously ─ while both women objected to it being unsafe sex. Under Swedish law, this is tantamount to rape.

Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    He was set up.
    Of course he was.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th December 2020), Elen (20th December 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020), Wind (19th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Very unfair to wait until 2024 to pardon him though, imo best to do it as soon as possible

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th December 2020), Elen (20th December 2020), Kathy (19th December 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Utter cruelty imo, Aianawa.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th December 2020), Aragorn (20th December 2020), Elen (20th December 2020)