Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516

Thread: NAP's random Science & Technology thread

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Egghead overload!

Some of that original research was done long ago by the Russkies using 'Kirlian' photography. It was in line with what I expected because in reality, the chemical formula of 'blood' and 'chlorophyll differs by only one molecule. That fact was always highly intriguing to me.

Feeding caterpillars with plants could be considered inhumane research. It bugged me at first to mow my lawn because I recalled the research. It 'hurts' me even more to have to trim bushes and trees. But I suppose in some sense they might appreciate it, perhaps like getting a haircut.
    Had a beautiful hallucination on acid where the quaking poplars branches were swaying a bit in the breeze and all of the leaves were singing to one another. It seemed so real and compelling like there was some truth to it. I hope so!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th January 2024), Emil El Zapato (24th January 2024), Wind (24th January 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Egghead overload!

Had a beautiful hallucination on acid where the quaking poplars branches were swaying a bit in the breeze and all of the leaves were singing to one another. It seemed so real and compelling like there was some truth to it. I hope so!
    No doubt there is some truth to it...my daughter as a very young girl remarked one time that she heard a nearby tree say something. I could have freaked but I didn't. I didn't think about it until yesterday that she might have been influenced by the Hobbit movie trilogy. I didn't think of it then because I never would have let my daughter see it but her mother not having the sense of a horse's ass very well could have.

I like O'Dowd, Sabine is a soulless bitch, and Weinstein is a condescending jackass. Jayamungal is a very interesting guy but I think he gives credit where credit is not due, but he has the redeeming quality of being very open-minded.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Octopus Garden (24th January 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Sabine is a soulless bitch,
    Would it really be too much to ask that you'd use your brain before posting, instead of the other way around? It would certainly help at reducing the influx of bullshit here in the Shire.

What the fuck has Sabine Hossenfelder ever done to you — or to anyone — to make you hate her so much? All it took for you to start slandering her was that she disagreed with Roger Penrose — to which she has every right, given that she herself is an accomplished theoretical physicist, and that Roger Penrose, venerable as he may be, is not exactly infallible.

As the matter of fact, Roger Penrose is quite opinionated and outspoken, and as I myself was watching that whole panel discussion with Penrose, I found his hypothesis illogical, and given the lack of any genuine scientific argumentation for his case, physically implausible. Total entropy does not suddenly transform itself into a singularity, and Penrose offered no plausible reasoning as to why the universe, at the end of its expansion and with maximum entropy, would suddenly generate a new Big Bang.

If the Big Bang actually even happened — or at least, in the way it is generally assumed — in the first place, because the traditional view of the Big Bang is currently being contested among many academia. Fact is that anything referencing what supposedly happened or might have happened within N amount of hundredths of a second after the Big Bang is pure speculation, given that the cosmic background radiation prevents anyone from looking far enough back in time to see what the conditions were before the universe started expanding at speeds greater than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Maybe you should spend some time watching Sabine's videos on YouTube, and then maybe, just maybe, you'll find that she's actually a very likeable person with a good sense of humor.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Would it really be too much to ask that you'd use your brain before posting, instead of the other way around? It would certainly help at reducing the influx of bullshit here in the Shire.

What the fuck has Sabine Hossenfelder ever done to you — or to anyone — to make you hate her so much? All it took for you to start slandering her was that she disagreed with Roger Penrose — to which she has every right, given that she herself is an accomplished theoretical physicist, and that Roger Penrose, venerable as he may be, is not exactly infallible.

As the matter of fact, Roger Penrose is quite opinionated and outspoken, and as I myself was watching that whole panel discussion with Penrose, I found his hypothesis illogical, and given the lack of any genuine scientific argumentation for his case, physically implausible. Total entropy does not suddenly transform itself into a singularity, and Penrose offered no plausible reasoning as to why the universe, at the end of its expansion and with maximum entropy, would suddenly generate a new Big Bang.

If the Big Bang actually even happened — or at least, in the way it is generally assumed — in the first place, because the traditional view of the Big Bang is currently being contested among many academia. Fact is that anything referencing what supposedly happened or might have happened within N amount of hundredths of a second after the Big Bang is pure speculation, given that the cosmic background radiation prevents anyone from looking far enough back in time to see what the conditions were before the universe started expanding at speeds greater than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Maybe you should spend some time watching Sabine's videos on YouTube, and then maybe, just maybe, you'll find that she's actually a very likeable person with a good sense of humor.
    i knew she was one of your favorites. She has never done anything...I just like not liking her. I'm sure she is an ok gal.

i knew she was one of your favorites. She has never done anything...I just like not liking her. I'm sure she is an ok gal.
    I agree about Penrose...Michio Kaku for years has been one of the people that I admire and that was the basis for my pique. Plus Sabine is an atheist...to me, that is representative of a closed pedantic scientific mind. All in all, she seems to be a likable precocious female though. I'd love to fight with her just to see how bad she could kick my ass.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    i knew she was one of your favorites.
    I wouldn't go that far, but I do respect her.

She has never done anything...I just like not liking her.
    How "inclusive" of you.

Plus Sabine is an atheist...to me, that is representative of a closed pedantic scientific mind.
    Stephen Hawking was an atheist as well.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (24th January 2024), Octopus Garden (24th January 2024)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but I do respect her.

How "inclusive" of you.

Stephen Hawking was an atheist as well.
    He only claimed to be because...because he was a scientist, of course. He and another of his colleagues and rivals collaborated on a mathematical calculation that placed the chance of a randomly born universe at a mathematical zero.

"Stephen Hawking collaborator talks about the moment the famed physicist said it was 'time to stop playing God'"

Here's a good book:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th January 2024), Octopus Garden (24th January 2024)