Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: NAP's random Science & Technology thread

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,835 Times in 12,898 Posts
    Biodiversity means a strong ecosystem which can withstand stress from weather, disease, etc.

Biodiversity matters even in our own bodies. We want healthy colonies of good flora for our digestion, and even for protection from other microbes.

I recall learning about the various pyramids in Mexico and South America and how the people cultivated and encouraged growth of many plants which would thrive at the different levels of the pyramids.

The Iraqi people who live on the water and use the reeds for their way of life are another example of people influencing biodiversity. Certainly they helped to keep the wetlands healthy and the reeds thriving.

American Indians affected the landscape here as well and it was so fruitful that the settlers from Europe proclaimed that the resources here were virtually endless in abundance.

What we've seen is that when we're stupid and shortsighted we screw up our environment. When we're greedy, we screw it up. We waste resources and jeopardize their replenishment.

Modern agriculture is mono-species. That screws up environments big-time. We'll have to learn the hard way.

I don't quite understand your black and white question, BOB. It's not really one or the other. Humans mostly practiced living in harmony with nature because they understood their interconnection. It was undeniable.

Modern societies render us disconnected. We don't hunt or even know the source of our food/goods. We cannot stop destructive practices when we can't even see how we are involved.

And so the lessons will be very difficult for us. And many of us won't make it due to disease and lack of resources because of environmental degradation.

My brother-in-law once told me humans could still survive even if we fell into the slime world where algae was our only food source.

It doesn't sound very pleasant or enriching, such an environment.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th May 2021), BeastOfBologna (27th May 2021), Wind (27th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 33,340 Times in 8,240 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Biodiversity means a strong ecosystem which can withstand stress from weather, disease, etc.

Biodiversity matters even in our own bodies. We want healthy colonies of good flora for our digestion, and even for protection from other microbes.

I recall learning about the various pyramids in Mexico and South America and how the people cultivated and encouraged growth of many plants which would thrive at the different levels of the pyramids.

The Iraqi people who live on the water and use the reeds for their way of life are another example of people influencing biodiversity. Certainly they helped to keep the wetlands healthy and the reeds thriving.

American Indians affected the landscape here as well and it was so fruitful that the settlers from Europe proclaimed that the resources here were virtually endless in abundance.

What we've seen is that when we're stupid and shortsighted we screw up our environment. When we're greedy, we screw it up. We waste resources and jeopardize their replenishment.

Modern agriculture is mono-species. That screws up environments big-time. We'll have to learn the hard way.

I don't quite understand your black and white question, BOB. It's not really one or the other. Humans mostly practiced living in harmony with nature because they understood their interconnection. It was undeniable.

Modern societies render us disconnected. We don't hunt or even know the source of our food/goods. We cannot stop destructive practices when we can't even see how we are involved.

And so the lessons will be very difficult for us. And many of us won't make it due to disease and lack of resources because of environmental degradation.

My brother-in-law once told me humans could still survive even if we fell into the slime world where algae was our only food source.

It doesn't sound very pleasant or enriching, such an environment.
    Whell, I never!

It was the way Anton stated the premise. But what you say does make sense. But on that point, early Humans naturally would not have ventured into areas that had sparse ecosystems for obvious reasons. Frigid weather, desert land (though admittedly probably much less 12, 000 years ago as the Middle East was not arid and I don't believe either was what is now today the proximal SubSaharan area). So, I think Anton strayed a little from his home territory (which is a problem for any scientist, theoretically, a scientist speaking outside of his or her base of expertise has no more validity or credibility than if I do it ... ). I think it would have been more correct to say where biodiversity and humans coexist historically both have become enriched.
    “But those who have been under the shadow, who have gone down at last to elemental things, will have a wider charity” - Herbert George Wells -

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeastOfBologna For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th May 2021), Dreamtimer (27th May 2021), Wind (27th May 2021)

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,835 Times in 12,898 Posts
    I wonder whether humans really wouldn't venture into badlands. Animals can live in quite harsh environments. They carve out their niche. Humans, being so inventive, are extra good at survival, although we are fragile compared to many wild beasts.

How long have humans really been on earth? Perhaps some evolved to live in the water. Or deep underground.

I don't mean to be contrary, BOB.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th May 2021), BeastOfBologna (27th May 2021), Wind (27th May 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I wonder whether humans really wouldn't venture into badlands. Animals can live in quite harsh environments. They carve out their niche. Humans, being so inventive, are extra good at survival, although we are fragile compared to many wild beasts.

How long have humans really been on earth? Perhaps some evolved to live in the water. Or deep underground.

I don't mean to be contrary, BOB.
    I'm teasing, DT. In my estimation they would have, which is why I'm surprised when I read something that says Neanderthals went extinct partially because they were vulnerable to harsh weather such as in very cold highlands. That doesn't make sense to me because they were highly adapted to mountainous areas. But resources nonetheless would have been sparse due to the natural climate conditions.
    “But those who have been under the shadow, who have gone down at last to elemental things, will have a wider charity” - Herbert George Wells -

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeastOfBologna For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th May 2021), Dreamtimer (27th May 2021), Wind (27th May 2021)

Thanks

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeastOfBologna For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th May 2021), Dreamtimer (27th May 2021)