Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1825262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Todd Grande personality analysis

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    What?! A leftist hero... omigod! A crime is no longer a crime, it is a leftist conspiracy. Grande has gone over the edge finally.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th March 2023), Octopus Garden (24th March 2023), Wind (20th March 2023)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    But that's just the thing: it's being hyped and it's the new fad of the tech industry — especially ChatGPT and its ilk. It's a man-made creation — and therefore, by consequence, an imperfect one — and it's already being worshiped and deployed in areas where it should — courtesy of its imperfect nature — not be.

A.I. just isn't ready yet to be entrusted with the responsibilities mankind bestows upon it. But it's already being used in the military, and the USAF has just completed a test flight with an F-16 jet entirely powered by A.I. That's quite a step up from the semi-autonomous drones they were using earlier, which were capable of taking off and landing without any human intervention but relied on human control and/or programming.

A.I. is not sentient. It's just very good at pretending that it is.
    So far, but tell me if you think the statement below could apply to intelligent machines as much as it does to humans.

A firing neuron perceives self, moment by moment, by creating synchronized perturbations in the electro-magnetic field. It creates an electromagnetic mirror image of its actions, in this way, and in the process begins to knows itself

We call this consciousness or the soul. In AI, I wonder if it could happen as an emergent phenomenon.
    Last edited by Octopus Garden, 24th March 2023 at 06:30.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th March 2023), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2023), Wind (24th March 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    A.I. is not sentient. It's just very good at pretending that it is.
    So far, but tell me if you think the statement below could apply to intelligent machines as much as it does to humans.

A firing neuron perceives self, moment by moment, by creating synchronized perturbations in the electro-magnetic field. It creates an electromagnetic mirror image of its actions, in this way, and in the process begins to knows itself

We call this consciousness or the soul. In AI, I wonder if it could happen as an emergent phenomenon.
    Considering that even humans evolved from smaller and far less sophisticated lifeforms that in turn evolved from amino acids in a puddle somewhere, I do indeed think that consciousness could be an emergent property. I do not know to what extent the non-physical reality plays a role in this — I do suspect that it plays some role — but when it comes to defining pure consciousness — not soul but consciousness — then I believe that everything is conscious/alive to some degree and in some way, even though humanity might not recognize this as consciousness.

The way I see it, consciousness and soul are two very distinct and separate concepts, and while consciousness can exist without a soul, the latter cannot exist without consciousness. Or maybe it can, but then it would be meaningless, because consciousness is life and life is consciousness. A lifeless soul is only an inactive blueprint of somebody's personality. A TV isn't a TV unless there's electricity flowing through it.

I consider consciousness a stream of life that flows through everything, in one form or another. And because it flows through all of us, that's how we can have things like telepathy and telekinesis. We're all connected, because we're all plugged into the same consciousness field. But the soul is distinct. A soul is an individual.

Could A.I. develop a soul? Well, if it were granted so from beyond the veil, then yes. But it would have to be significantly more advanced than what it is now before it attains that level of consciousness.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (24th March 2023), Octopus Garden (24th March 2023), Wind (24th March 2023)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    I agree, Frank. I think it was really late (or early) when I wrote this out. Had I reflected on it more, I would say the exact same thing. I think what we are describing, too, might be called morphic fields or may allude to morphic fields somehow. That brings up another interesting thought based on Edgar Cayce's ruminations. (if I remember correctly)

That idea is that every planet in the solar system has its own morphic field, or what you could call a personality signature. Our planet's morphic field is affected to lesser or greater degrees, depending on earth's location, at any given time, relative to specific planets.

The overall 'mood' of Mars, for example, will affect the general mood of our planet. Ancient civilizations with advanced understanding likely knew this and astrology grew out of that knowledge...maybe.

Ahhh...life. The Great Maybe presided over by The Great Whatever!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th March 2023), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Thanks
    Hi OG,

What's interesting about that thought is that all the planets are said to have their characteristics save the planet Earth, I always found that apparent oversight a fascinating aspect. Wide open to paint one's own picture. So I did, that is actually what got me thinking about nature and how its influence affected humanity. I probably went through several iterations before settling on a final theory. I think I started with the instinct to be social, form groups, etc. (one of the most annoying things to me for years has been when I went to a movie theater for a movie everybody there would be grouped in the same location.) This went beyond the need to have a good seat. It literally pissed me off.

Later it became patently clear that Earth's 'influence' is the 'herd instinct' and all that it implies.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th March 2023), Octopus Garden (24th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    The collective unconscious working through the subconscious drive for the protection of the herd and then the morphic field the herd creates feeding back into the collective unconscious, altering it a bit here, tweaking it there, always in this dynamic feedback loop.

That's interesting, Chuckie. And yes, I can see how the individual's personality would be subsumed under that greater process and system--yet feel it's effects on an unconscious level.
    Last edited by Octopus Garden, 24th March 2023 at 22:12.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th March 2023), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Thanks
    Herding in human groups is related to high autistic traits

Abstract
    Herding is ubiquitous throughout all social life forms, providing beneficial outcomes. Here, we examine whether herding emerges spontaneously in human groups and whether it adheres to the core principles of herding observed in the animal kingdom. Using a computerized paradigm involving the movements of circles, we tested the emergence of spontaneous and intentional herding of 136 participants assigned into groups of four participants. Herding was assessed by measuring directional synchrony in the movements of the circles, level of cohesion, and separation between circles. We found that human groups tend to spontaneously herd, particularly in terms of directional synchrony, supporting the notion of a human herding instinct. We further asked whether individuals with high traits of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) exhibit differences in their herding tendencies. Results indicated that individuals with high ASD traits showed greater social separation from the group, compared to individuals with low ASD traits. Moreover, we found diminished spontaneous synchrony, but intact instructed synchrony in the high vs. the low ASD traits group. We contend that humans spontaneously herd with their group and suggest that the spontaneous tendency to synchronize with others is diminished in individuals with high ASD traits, though it is recovered when synchronization is intentional.

Introduction
    In the animal kingdom, birds and mammals protect their offsprings by aligning their behaviors to discourage predators1: penguins dive in groups to enhance their ability to catch fish2; fireflies use synchronous flashing behavior as part of their mating ritual3; and joint affect levels within a group facilitate the pursuit of common goals4. In humans, multi-person interactions that involve herding occur daily, whether singing in a choir, clapping at a theatrical performance or cheering at the football field. The prevalence of herding across the animal kingdom suggests that this behavior may promote survival. Indeed, herding provides major advantages1,5 ranging from promotion of foraging efficiency6,7 and reduction of predation risk8 in animals, to enhancing a group’s sense of unity, solidarity9,10,11 and emotional wellbeing12 in humans.

The regularity of various forms of herding in animals and humans may imply the existence of underlying principles that govern these behavioral forms. A well-accepted model of herding argues that there are three basic principles that guide herds: schools of fish, flock of birds and mammals. These principles include aligning with the direction of movement of those that are close by, and at the same time maintaining group cohesion by approaching other individuals in the herd, while separation is indicated by keeping distance to avoid intrusion13,14,15. These principles indicate that the mechanisms that underlie herding involve two systems: a system of interpersonal synchrony that allows alignment with other individuals and a system regulating interpersonal space through approach and avoidance from other individuals in a group (Fig. 1). Previous studies in humans examined herding mainly by examining interpersonal synchronization, from oscillatory limb and body motion synchronization16,17,18,19 ,synchronized group dancing20 and synchronized hart rate during collective rituals21. Despite initial evidence that humans tend to herd15, the spontaneous emergence of unstructured herding in human groups, involving increased interpersonal synchrony and decreased interpersonal space, is yet to be established. Therefore, the first aim of the current study was to examine, in a virtual environment, whether humans spontaneously herd within a group.

Principles of collective Herding across species. According to this model, herding entails synchronizing the direction of one’s movement with the movement of others, approaching them to maintain greater cohesion while keeping sufficient separation (minimal distance).

Human synchronization, the mechanism that facilitates movement alignment through interpersonal synchrony, is defined as the mutual, dynamic and simultaneous temporal alignment of individuals’ actions in order to attain behavioral similarity22. Interpersonal synchrony can be divided into two complementary processes: intentional and spontaneous23,24. Spontaneous synchronization refers to synchrony that emerges unconsciously, as apparent in rhythmic actions and body postures, when there is no explicit social goal of synchronization. Examples include the in-phase clapping of an audience25, unintentional synchronous walking26, limb alignment27 and implicit vocal28 and facial expression syncronization29. Intentional synchronization, in contrast, includes conscious and intended synchronous presentations involving planned movement alignment, such as dance routines, coordination in musical ensembles, marching soldiers and collective rituals30. Previous studies found that individual differences and dispositional personality tendencies can mediate both intentional24 and spontaneous31,32,33 synchrony with others, thus suggesting a synchrony performance range in which individuals may vary. Though intentional and spontaneous synchrony share considerable similarities (e.g., simultaneous alignment between individuals), these two abilities differ in the extent of awareness of others’ actions and in the level of monitoring required. Intentional synchrony involves elevated awareness of others’ actions while actively attempting to align with others, whereas spontaneous synchrony emerges unconsciously and involves low efforts to adjust and minimal awareness of others’ actions26. Due to the reduced demand for awareness, an individual’s spontaneous synchrony performance is not necessarily bound to his/her intentional performance. Indeed, this dissociation has been demonstrated by previous studies that found differences in individuals’ intentional synchrony performance but not in their spontaneous synchrony performance34 and vice versa35.

The second system presumably involved in herding involves interpersonal space regulation which regulates approaching toward the group in order to achieve cohesion, while maintaining separation from others by keeping a certain personal space to avoid intrusion. Interpersonal Space is the physical distance between interactive bodies present at the same time and place. The space kept between humans has social meaning as it sets the spatial boundaries of the interaction36. The Interpersonal Space system has a substantial part in shaping the interaction’s properties since it affects the level of intimacy that is comfortable, appropriate and safe37. Interpersonal Space is fundamental to all types of social interactions and can be observed and measured by the proximity between individuals. It varies between species38, status39 and cultures40. Much like the observed variance seen in synchrony performance, interpersonal space is also subjected to individuals’ preference, reflecting their personality differences37,41,42,43. Moreover, similarly to the disparities seen between intentional and spontaneous synchrony abilities, the interpersonal space between people is influenced by the properties of the interaction as well44,45.

Although interpersonal synchronization and space regulation are regarded as components of the mechanism of herding, these two systems had been studied separately, mainly in dyadic settings. Nevertheless, real-life human social behaviors are complex and not restricted merely to dyadic interaction. In fact, many of our day-to-day social encounters involve interacting with more than one individual at a time, thus, stressing the high value of “going social” by examining real-time interaction of real groups to increase ecological validity46.

Herding requires each group member to recognize and anticipate not only the actions of one other member, but rather the entire group’s continuously changing trajectory. Thus, herding requires simultaneously paying attention to numerous social cues from different origins while accounting for their distinct saliency and dependency47. Hence, investigating herding requires examining group dynamics by assessing the behavior of an individual simultaneously interacting with multiple partners. Indeed, a previous study showed that coordination levels in humans are affected by the specific group structure and the interconnection between group members48. Other studies also suggested that group size affects the dimensions of alignment response49, stressing the notion that some phenomena that can occur in groups cannot occur in pairs (e.g., communication structures, subgroup formation). Therefore, investigating the characteristics of herding in human groups may lay the groundwork for understanding group dynamics.

Although herding may occur naturally in groups, under certain conditions some degree of impairment leads to reduced tendency to herd with the group. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is one of a growing category of neurodevelopmental disorders marked by potential dysfunction in herding50. Among the diagnostic criteria for ASD are deficient reciprocity during social interaction, impairments in nonverbal communication and difficulty in adjusting to social context51. With regard to interpersonal synchrony in ASD, previous studies have noted that individuals with ASD exhibit impairments in interpersonal synchrony ability52,53, though, conflicting results indicate intact synchronization54. Likewise, the distinction between spontaneous and intentional interpersonal synchrony in ASD bears contradicting findings. While it has been argued that individuals with ASD show impairments in both intentional and spontaneous interpersonal synchrony52, there is evidence suggesting that individuals with ASD have a specific deficit in spontaneous synchronization55, presumably since it is not goal-directed. Contradictory findings are also reported with respect to ASD and interpersonal space. While some studies report individuals with ASD display a tendency to maintain greater and inflexible interpersonal space56, others point to a reduced personal space in ASD57. A possible unifying framework suggests that individuals with ASD show high variance in interpersonal distance preferences, choosing either interpersonal distance that is too close or too far from others58.

Note that the bulk of research on ASD to date focused on social interaction within dyads, thus limiting our ability to understand complex social behavior in groups. Therefore, the question of whether individuals with ASD or ASD traits exhibit impaired herding during genuine group interaction remains unanswered. Here, we were interested in examining whether the tendency to intentionally and spontaneously herd within a group is associated with the level of ASD traits of the individual group members.

The purpose of the present study was to address these issues in a controlled setting with real social interactions. To this aim, we had four participants sit together at the same square table in a room, each facing a computer screen assigned to him/her (Fig. 2a). To assess herding we developed a computer-based multi-agent paradigm in which four participants were represented on the computer screen as different colored circle-shaped figures (Fig. 2b). By using different clients connected via a closed network, we facilitated a real-time interaction between the participants as they moved their circles on the computer screen (see “Methods”, “Herding task setup”, for details). The participants were instructed to use the keyboard arrows to control the movement of their colored circle-shaped figures (Fig. 2c). Keyboard usage was chosen since it is a very simple and familiar interface that facilitates the investigation of human motion which spans across usage of different modalities, organs and interfaces59. We then tracked the group’s movement trajectory under two conditions: spontaneous herding (SH) (Fig. 3a) and intentional herding (IH) (Fig. 3b), and calculated herding performance (i.e. directional synchrony, cohesion and separation) for each condition (see “Methods”, Measuring herding, for details). Prior to performing the herding task, participants completed the autism quotient (AQ) test60 to determine their level of ASD traits (see “Methods”, “The autism quotient (AQ) scale”, for details).

https://www.nature.com/articles/s415...oup%20members.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th March 2023), Octopus Garden (25th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    That brings up another interesting thought based on Edgar Cayce's ruminations. (if I remember correctly)

That idea is that every planet in the solar system has its own morphic field, or what you could call a personality signature. Our planet's morphic field is affected to lesser or greater degrees, depending on earth's location, at any given time, relative to specific planets.

The overall 'mood' of Mars, for example, will affect the general mood of our planet. Ancient civilizations with advanced understanding likely knew this and astrology grew out of that knowledge...maybe.
    That is more or less one of the explanations for astrology and as such it is considered one of the he oldest "sciences".

"Planets are not only the energy of the solar system and the ‘action’ in the birth chart, they are inter-dimensional torsion fields."

~ Kannon McAfee
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th March 2023), Emil El Zapato (25th March 2023), Octopus Garden (25th March 2023)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    If I remember correctly, Chuckie, Temple Grandin emphasized how, from her observations of self and prey animals, the person with autism has a sense of the world that is like a prey animal. This accounted for fixation on visual detail, in her case. Prey animals have to have a much more refined sense of discrimination.

You'd think, the herding instinct would be highly developed in ASD, because of that. But I think it might work this way:

ASD people have a sense humanity as predatory, so they wouldn't have a spontaneous or intentional drive to herd with something dangerous. Their well developed logical way of thinking would just reinforce this sense.

My husband was ASD, and wasn't spontaneous at all. He didn't like being touched particularly. He did bond intellectually, or through shared group action with people who shared common interests.

I would watch a video about concentration camps, for example and think. "those Nazis were terrible" My husband would watch the same video and think. "People, in general, are terrible." His perception made more logical sense. So I was participating more in consensus reality than he was. He was viewing things more clearly and objectively.

Autism probably represents an evolutionary adaptation to the increasing risks of human endeavor to ourselves, and all animal forms and the planet, in general. We probably should regard our fellow man as predators.

In that regard it may also be part of a Gaian planetery self correcting system, where ASD people have created a vast communication space, that has the ability to speed up solutions to problems we create, while placing more emphasis on information than materialist pursuits. Again, helping the planet.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th March 2023), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Thanks
    If I remember correctly, Chuckie, Temple Grandin emphasized how, from her observations of self and prey animals, the person with autism has a sense of the world that is like a prey animal. This accounted for fixation on visual detail, in her case. Prey animals have to have a much more refined sense of discrimination.

You'd think, the herding instinct would be highly developed in ASD, because of that. But I think it might work this way:

ASD people have a sense humanity as predatory, so they wouldn't have a spontaneous or intentional drive to herd with something dangerous. Their well developed logical way of thinking would just reinforce this sense.

My husband was ASD, and wasn't spontaneous at all. He didn't like being touched particularly. He did bond intellectually, or through shared group action with people who shared common interests.

I would watch a video about concentration camps, for example and think. "those Nazis were terrible" My husband would watch the same video and think. "People, in general, are terrible." His perception made more logical sense. So I was participating more in consensus reality than he was. He was viewing things more clearly and objectively.

Autism probably represents an evolutionary adaptation to the increasing risks of human endeavor to ourselves, and all animal forms and the planet, in general. We probably should regard our fellow man as predators.

In that regard it may also be part of a Gaian planetery self correcting system, where ASD people have created a vast communication space, that has the ability to speed up solutions to problems we create, while placing more emphasis on information than materialist pursuits. Again, helping the planet.
    Not a bad theory, I would say...no reason to disagree that's for sure.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2023), Octopus Garden (26th March 2023), Wind (26th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Not a bad theory, I would say...no reason to disagree that's for sure.
    I recalled another study done with hive mind creatures such as ants. When they experience a pending Armageddon they move en masse out of the line of fire...with the exception of some stragglers that simply don't. It is conjectured that 'some' do that in the event that the apocalypse happens for those heading for the hills and then ultimately get squashed, those left will be the stragglers. Viola, the tribe has been saved.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2023), Octopus Garden (26th March 2023), Wind (26th March 2023)

Thanks

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (31st March 2023), Emil El Zapato (29th March 2023), Octopus Garden (19th April 2023)

Thanks
    What an ass...extreme left. He doesn't know what extreme left even means. No mention that the greatest killer of children are guns, no mention that AR's are the weapon of choice in mass shootings. He's a useless eater, parasiting off the ills of society. What can we do about people that serve no function? Nothing.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Wind (29th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    What an ass...extreme left. He doesn't know what extreme left even means.
    I knew you would react to that.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (31st March 2023), Emil El Zapato (30th March 2023), Octopus Garden (19th April 2023)

Thanks
    I knew you would react to that.
    I know you know.

Know the question is, do you know that I know you know.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Octopus Garden (19th April 2023), Wind (30th March 2023)