Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: How America Got Hooked on Opioids | The War on Drugs

  1. #16
    Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    7th April 2015
    Location
    Patapsco Valley
    Posts
    13,881
    Thanks
    66,844
    Thanked 59,544 Times in 13,793 Posts
    Or smelling it.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (27th October 2020), Elen (2nd November 2020), Wind (27th October 2020)

  3. #17
    Super Moderator Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th January 2015
    Location
    Just here
    Posts
    4,303
    Thanks
    22,951
    Thanked 19,057 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Another pointless, destructive war.


    Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcSX1vAs00M

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (28th September 2021), BeastOfBologna (28th September 2021), Dreamtimer (28th September 2021)

  5. #18
    Senior Member BeastOfBologna's Avatar
    Join Date
    3rd April 2017
    Posts
    9,041
    Thanks
    29,775
    Thanked 35,451 Times in 8,933 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Another pointless, destructive war.
    One of the very interesting aspects of sociology, confusing actually to me, is evil or crime evil or crime if a society is sympathetic to it. Sexuality and drugs as evil are completely subjective and nebulous morally. How does one gauge an objective moral principle when societies themselves have such disparate viewpoints. Opium for example has legitimate medical applications, is it bad? or is it good? I've been debating it internally for decades.

    I think it was Sweden that had less social crime, because it was ok to do drugs. Say what?!
    “To seek self-knowledge is to embark on a journey which ... will always be incomplete" - courtesy of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeastOfBologna For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (28th September 2021), Dreamtimer (28th September 2021), Wind (28th September 2021)

  7. #19
    Administrator Aragorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th March 2015
    Location
    Middle-Earth
    Posts
    17,046
    Thanks
    77,381
    Thanked 71,326 Times in 17,050 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    One of the very interesting aspects of sociology, confusing actually to me, is evil or crime evil or crime if a society is sympathetic to it. Sexuality and drugs as evil are completely subjective and nebulous morally. How does one gauge an objective moral principle when societies themselves have such disparate viewpoints. Opium for example has legitimate medical applications, is it bad? or is it good? I've been debating it internally for decades.

    I think it was Sweden that had less social crime, because it was ok to do drugs. Say what?!
    What constitutes a crime is whatever society rules to be illegal. I would personally consider capitalism as a whole and the way banks operate in particular as a crime, but what they're doing is considered legal all over the planet. And many governments ─ most notably the US government, the British government, the Russian government, the Chinese government, the Saudi-Arabian government, the Israeli government, the North Korean government and now the new government of Afghanistan, but there are undoubtedly others still ─ consider executions and assassinations to not be a crime.

    As for sex crimes, until at least the end of the 1980s but probably longer, rape inside of matrimony was not considered a crime over here ─ it is now.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

    BeastOfBologna (28th September 2021), Dreamtimer (28th September 2021), Wind (28th September 2021)

  9. #20
    Senior Member BeastOfBologna's Avatar
    Join Date
    3rd April 2017
    Posts
    9,041
    Thanks
    29,775
    Thanked 35,451 Times in 8,933 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    What constitutes a crime is whatever society rules to be illegal. I would personally consider capitalism as a whole and the way banks operate in particular as a crime, but what they're doing is considered legal all over the planet. And many governments ─ most notably the US government, the British government, the Russian government, the Chinese government, the Saudi-Arabian government, the Israeli government, the North Korean government and now the new government of Afghanistan, but there are undoubtedly others still ─ consider executions and assassinations to not be a crime.

    As for sex crimes, until at least the end of the 1980s but probably longer, rape inside of matrimony was not considered a crime over here ─ it is now.
    Keeps one on their toes. It's not an easy answer for me.
    “To seek self-knowledge is to embark on a journey which ... will always be incomplete" - courtesy of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeastOfBologna For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (28th September 2021), Dreamtimer (28th September 2021), Wind (28th September 2021)

  11. #21
    Super Moderator Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th January 2015
    Location
    Just here
    Posts
    4,303
    Thanks
    22,951
    Thanked 19,057 Times in 4,307 Posts
    What do you do when you have bad people as our leaders who create and bend the laws?

    Laws are never going to stop people doing certain things, such as drugs and sex work.


  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (28th September 2021), BeastOfBologna (28th September 2021), Dreamtimer (28th September 2021)

  13. #22
    Administrator Aragorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th March 2015
    Location
    Middle-Earth
    Posts
    17,046
    Thanks
    77,381
    Thanked 71,326 Times in 17,050 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    What do you do when you have bad people as our leaders who create and bend the laws?

    Laws are never going to stop people doing certain things, such as drugs and sex work.
    And those who create the laws always think themselves above them.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

    BeastOfBologna (28th September 2021), Dreamtimer (28th September 2021), Wind (29th September 2021)

  15. #23
    Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    7th April 2015
    Location
    Patapsco Valley
    Posts
    13,881
    Thanks
    66,844
    Thanked 59,544 Times in 13,793 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Another pointless, destructive war.


    Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcSX1vAs00M
    It wasn't pointless, Wind. The incarcerations of so many blacks was the underlying dynamic. Free labor for private prisons. It's been an industry. A terrible one.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (28th September 2021), BeastOfBologna (28th September 2021), Wind (29th September 2021)

  17. #24
    Senior Member Aianawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    18th March 2015
    Posts
    9,792
    Thanks
    38,563
    Thanked 31,984 Times in 8,495 Posts
    Bit late to the party here, looks interesting

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (5th October 2021), BeastOfBologna (4th October 2021), Wind (4th October 2021)

  19. #25
    Senior Member Malisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    14th October 2019
    Location
    Ronin
    Posts
    435
    Thanks
    967
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 440 Posts
    "How the need for "black" money to overthrow governments around the world got America hooked on opioids and destroyed several generations and why it was a worthy and righteous sacrifice"
    Last edited by Malisa, 2nd December 2021 at 06:40.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (2nd December 2021), Wind (2nd December 2021)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •