Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: Alien Life

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    yeah, Jordan Peterson the ineffable intellect, has sharpened the point of intelligence to one measure, "How many numbers can you remember at a time". He's full of sh*t. In terms of the 'g' factor it can't be narrowed down to one aspect of 'working memory'.

How many numbers can you keep in your head at a time?

I've actually always been limited in my ability to do that about average: 6 or 7 numbers would be typical, occasionally one or two more. Yet, I managed to master various levels of advanced math such as Discrete mathematics, linear algebra, graph theory, and Trigonometry after deliberately failing high school maths. My verbal intelligence has been measured in the top 99.97 percentile. I really disagree with that guy, and dislike him Wind ... He's a pedagogical buffoon peacock, he should be slapped.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (18th October 2020), Malisa (17th October 2020), Wind (17th October 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,904 Times in 446 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I've certainly noticed that!

I like Sagan and his pupil Tyson as scientists, but their understanding is limited too and I don't like arrogance either. I liked Contact as movie a lot, I have the book too. I especially enjoyed Sagan's show Cosmos. I can disagree with people without necessarily disliking them, can you imagine that? I've never read Asimov's books even though I've read how people have been praising them.

That's interesting, I've never been officially measured and I keep mostly quiet about myself as I'm not interested in ego stroking or anything like that. Some people know what I have revealed about myself and that's that. Let's just say that my brain doesn't function in the most normal or neurotypical way. I was never good at math so it kinda made me feel dumb, but then I found out that I had a more creative side in me and I'm especially good at gathering data and looking at the picture in a way that many don't seem to be capable of, but that is really hard to explain so I even won't try. As I've said before, I think EQ is something that should be valued way more than IQ. Intelligence isn't wisdom anyways, people seem to forget that. Humanity might be intelligent, but it's not wise. Or would a wise species bring itself to the brink of self-destruction? I think not.

I must say that I've always greatly admired both artists and engineers. I just can't figure out how engineers are capable of making stuff the way they do in a very precise and intricate way, thanks to them we have all these amazing gadgets and technology that make life much more convenient. Artists themselves make society a better place too with their contributions, art is one of the best reasons for human existence. Human creativity is quite amazing. At times it makes me feel like this species isn't completely hopeless.

"Art's task is to save the soul of mankind. Anything less is a dithering while Rome burns." ~ Terence McKenna

If possible never do the test, it's pointless, and depending on age it can cause frustration and confidence issues. Some people end up using that value as some kind of credentials or achievement in life Personally, i never say anything when asked, i don't think it's relevant, this may be the first time i mention it and only as a reference, but i do know people who mention it constantly and as a way to say "i know better than you" or "i have a higher IQ, what have you done in life?". It can also completely destroy someone's life and potential, thinking they don't need to make a big effort in life since they are already above normal people and just have to take it easy, they will still be winners because somehow having a higher IQ makes them deserve success

I liked Contact as movie a lot
    Last edited by Malisa, 17th October 2020 at 18:59.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (18th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (17th October 2020), Wind (17th October 2020)

Thanks
    that was part of the trap that i fell into ... it was a combination of negative factors in my young life, but I took pride in 'failing' forced education just to show them that they couldn't f*ck with me. I never learned to learn and it has hurt me every step of the way. Made everything challenging, much more challenging that it should have been if I had been open to traditional training. In the field of engineering it is a rare situation when a company 'appreciates' the unorthodox individual, at least the unorthodox individual that can't demonstrate in an organized manner that they know what the hell they are doing.

And being lazy was so ingrained in me, i was unable to recognize when i was being 'mentally' lazy.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (18th October 2020), Malisa (18th October 2020), Wind (17th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,302 Times in 7,218 Posts
    NAP, I can forgive you for disliking Peterson. I think you have a thing for him as you bring him up so often.

On a different note, many geniuses and succesful (I hate what that word stands for normally) people have been college or high school dropouts. Academic education doesn’t necessarily tell anything about intelligence levels or wisdom. I think for free-thinkers places like schools are too limiting and also such people tend to have issues with authorities. I especially always hated being told what to do and specifically what to think. That’s my pet peeve and it didn’t go so well in school.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (18th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (18th October 2020), Malisa (18th October 2020)

Thanks
    but I like you a lot, Wind ... a sweet dude, you are.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (19th October 2020), Wind (18th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,302 Times in 7,218 Posts
    You're a good dude too, NAP. I like people who are capable of empathy.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (19th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (18th October 2020)