Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fungi and Faeries

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts

Fungi and Faeries

Want to introduce you to this amazing site. I can't remember how I found it, but I am a subscriber, as much for the accompanying illustrations as the articles.

From Public Domain:

"From fairy-rings to Lewis Carroll's Alice, mushrooms have long been entwined with the supernatural in art and literature. What might this say about past knowledge of hallucinogenic fungi? Mike Jay looks at early reports of mushroom-induced trips and how one species in particular became established as a stock motif of Victorian fairyland."

https://publicdomainreview.org/essay...-and-fairyland

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th October 2020), Aragorn (7th October 2020), Dreamtimer (7th October 2020), Elen (8th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th October 2020), Frances (8th October 2020), Wind (7th October 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Looks interesting. I've long been a fan of fungi and even more so after discovering Paul Stamets. This will be fun. Thanks.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th October 2020), Aragorn (7th October 2020), Elen (8th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th October 2020), Wind (7th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,303 Times in 7,219 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    This will be fun.
    Perhaps you could say that it will be fun-gi.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th October 2020), Aragorn (7th October 2020), Dreamtimer (8th October 2020), Elen (8th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th October 2020), Octopus Garden (7th March 2023)

Thanks
    Lol. Do you know the joke? A mushroom asks a girl out. She asks why she should go out with him. He says, "Because I'm a fun-gi".

Nailed it, Wind.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th October 2020), Aragorn (8th October 2020), Elen (8th October 2020), Octopus Garden (7th March 2023), Wind (8th October 2020)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th October 2020), Aragorn (8th October 2020), Dreamtimer (8th October 2020), modwiz (8th October 2020), Octopus Garden (7th March 2023), Wind (8th October 2020)

Thanks
    Amanita muscaria is pretty indeed. But don't eat them. Never eat them.

I have some wooden ones from my childhood. I couldn't find a picture like what I have but there are so many different creations inspired by this mushroom. It's amazing.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th October 2020), Aragorn (9th October 2020), Elen (9th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th October 2020), Octopus Garden (7th March 2023), Wind (8th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th October 2020), Aragorn (9th October 2020), Dreamtimer (8th October 2020), Elen (9th October 2020), Wind (8th October 2020)

Thanks
    Now that is not a fun-gi. Not goin' out with that one!

(see what I did there?)

I've begun reading the essay. It's beautiful. Thanks, OG.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th October 2020), Aragorn (9th October 2020), Elen (9th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th October 2020), Octopus Garden (7th March 2023), Wind (8th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Has to go here also, great data indeed, still watching atm >

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzAQ7SklDxo

Attorney and scholar Brian C. Muraresku is the author of The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name. Featuring an introduction by Graham Hancock, The Immortality Key is a look into the psychedelic origins of the world's great spiritual practices and what those might mean for how we view ourselves and the world around us.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 10th October 2020 at 12:32. Reason: blurb added

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th October 2020), Dreamtimer (10th October 2020), Elen (10th October 2020), Octopus Garden (7th March 2023), Wind (10th October 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Highly respected and self taught, Paul Stamets on Fungi (He used to be a logger until he got ripped out of his head on psyllocybin. (sp?)

https://beiner.substack.com/p/paul-s...sFreemail=true

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th March 2023), Emil El Zapato (7th March 2023), Wind (7th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Highly respected and self taught, Paul Stamets on Fungi
    This is quite cool in it's own way.

I've heard him speak on Rogan's show and in other videos too.

I'm not sure if you would enjoy watching the series called Last of Us though.

Mushrooms, fungi and mycelium have deep philosophical implications, as well as practical implications. I love the marriage of the idealistic and the practical coming together, because that way we can have effective change for the better. In the many years that I've been studying mushrooms, what really dawned on me, particularly while using the scanning electron microscope to look at mycelium, is its network-like design.

Also, how mycelium often benefits from disturbance. Very few organisms benefit from disturbance. Due to epigenesis, [after it’s disturbed], the mycelium grows out at the end [as part of its recovery]. The mycelium [grows] literally millions of end-tips in a cubic centimeter that then encounter new food, toxins, new opportunities, new challenges. It's like having little scientific teams at the end of every little tip of mycelium that are working together to see if they can come up with a solution. And then, out of the millions and millions of experimental teams in these tips, one or several may be successful.

And what happens then, if they are successful, is that they surge and they grow. But what's extraordinary, because they're a network-like design, is that the information gets back-channeled into the genome of the species and becomes the part of the “resonant body intellect,” if you will, of the mycelium. So now it's become educated. If it meets another pathogen, a bacterium, a virus, a toxin, it can upregulate the gene sequences and the proteins that allow it to overcome that obstacle.

So it really speaks metaphorically to something I think is very, very true: that our biodiversity is formed by the minority that leaves evolution. And so it's really important that we protect the minorities in our society. Scientific innovation does not come from the majority. It comes from surges of individuals who are up against conventional wisdom, breaking convention. These people surge with an idea that seems radical or preposterous to some, and in fact seems preposterous to most, but they can be right. And when these individuals are right, at the cost of being ridiculed, at the cost of failure (and most of them do fail), we then have innovation that is paradigm shifting. Mushrooms are a bridge across cultures, across continents, across the centuries, bringing in indigenous and minority cultures that have been using mushrooms and sharing their knowledge.
    The lesson of psilocybin [the active ingredient in magic mushrooms] is that you want to share it. You don't want to keep it to yourself. In fact, those who want to control these medicines are antithetical to the whole message that psilocybin gives, which is that we can be better people together. We are all one. We are one with the planet, we're one with the universe. And so I'm so excited that there's an awakening, literally a revolution from the underground that's now surging all over the world.
    That's not just some new age hocus pocus, it's the fundamental truth.
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th March 2023), Emil El Zapato (7th March 2023), Octopus Garden (7th March 2023)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    We are one with everything. All interconnected. Literally true. Current science hasn't quite come to terms with that. Mushrooms will kick start that process. It probably already has, beginning with consciousness studies.

This might sound crazy as f but I wonder sometimes if what we perceive as extra terrestrials or extra dimensionals are beings that evolved from the fungus that arose on terra firma before any other life form did. The evolved in an ambulant way and have it all over us now, in terms of intellect, emotion, ability to camouflage.

If a mushroom can communicate in a complex fashion, through our ingesting them, what else are these dudes capable of?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th March 2023), Emil El Zapato (8th March 2023), Wind (7th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    We are one with everything. All interconnected. Literally true. Current science hasn't quite come to terms with that. Mushrooms will kick start that process. It probably already has, beginning with consciousness studies.

This might sound crazy as f but I wonder sometimes if what we perceive as extra terrestrials or extra dimensionals are beings that evolved from the fungus that arose on terra firma before any other life form did. The evolved in an ambulant way and have it all over us now, in terms of intellect, emotion, ability to camouflage.

If a mushroom can communicate in a complex fashion, through our ingesting them, what else are these dudes capable of?
    That's scary, I hate fungus...creepy crawly...One guy had an NDE and found himself buried in such a state, he perceived it as hell, never fear though, he made it to the good side.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th March 2023), Octopus Garden (8th March 2023), Wind (9th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    That's scary, I hate fungus...creepy crawly...
    Then you must watch the Last of Us from HBO... Just don't take any psilocybin while watching it.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNagvJHl3g
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2023), Octopus Garden (10th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Then you must watch the Last of Us from HBO... Just don't take any psilocybin while watching it.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNagvJHl3g
    yeah, I'm running out of good stuff lately. I may have to trim my budget somewhere so I can subscribe to HBO Max...it's pretty good would you say?

Fungi...i dunno...

I know this is evil, but wherever i see it I stomp it with prejudice. Won't eat it, won't touch it...except for the psilocybin and only in the past.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2023), Octopus Garden (10th March 2023), Wind (10th March 2023)