Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Sense Corner

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (19th January 2021), Elen (19th January 2021), Silly Wabbit (18th January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    No offense intended toward anyone, but I would just for honesty's and transparency's sake like to state that I will not be monitoring this thread from here on, and that this will explain my absence among the names of the members who've used the Thanks button.

I'm all for new threads and new discussions on this forum, but quite frankly ─ and quite personally too ─ I've seriously had it with the subject of US politics now. Given that other staff members are monitoring this thread already, I will place any required peacekeeping duties on this thread into their capable hands.

That's fair.. Plenty to monitor it, and America is NOT the only country on this planet, and to be quite honest with you, as an American, i am getting sick of everything being about what we do... Perhaps if we got more information about what the rest of the world was doing, our little petty disagreements could be more well rounded. As Americans we only get a small picture of whats going on..

The news really covers America, and really nothing else, causing us to really be very self centered, and narrow minded in the larger picture. For those who do not know this happens here, this is why America does seem so egocentric. We're not, it is all we are shown....

Good for you Aragorn, as there is much more to be dealt with on a universal platform than one continent.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Silly Wabbit For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th January 2021), Dreamtimer (19th January 2021), Elen (19th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th January 2021), Wind (18th January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    I thank you for your opinions on Trump and such, but sadly the views of these people creating videos has a fatal flaw. They lump every issue, every disagreement, and every stupid move, into one category and give the impression that because someone likes Trump, that they also think alike or agree with everything he or his administration does. This couldn't be further from the truth. Look at the images they put as the video attraction, a man upset looking like he has lost his mind in anger... Suggesting all Trump supporters are like him... They're not. Nor are all Democrats who support Biden.

If Trump does something stupid, those that do not support him assume that everyone who votes Republican agrees... I find that to be hilarious. You may as well have posted an image of Homer Simpson, and suggested that all Trump voters look like Homer and drink beer.. As these videos do suggest they must all be knuckle dragging fools.

One could say the same for those who voted for Nancy Pelosi... (I did NOT thank you)...

I think this type of video is short sighted, and rather than hitting on issues, it is dividing the country into "Us against them" as far as people, rather than joining us towards resolving true issues. And it works.. As people do nothing more than look for the next big bashing video as if in a childhood argument, where one yells out the best insult. This country needs to grow up, and perhaps then, we can make some true , very much needed positive changes. Slinging insults won't help.... It just makes people looks shallow minded in my opinion..

Perhaps if the issues were all that were addressed it would be one thing... But I too, am tiring with all of the sub culture media doing the same thing the main stream media is. And they call it journalism. I want to ask them when the last time was that they actually took out a pen and paper and went somewhere to write what they truly saw, versus what they saw on the news, then giving their opinions. I want to ask about their fact checking procedures... Who they actually spoke to, etc.. Until that time, this is all propaganda to me. Perhaps they mean well, as this is what the schools are now teaching as "News Reporting"..

Re- regarding to regurgitating what they have been told or saw versus actually finding out for themselves. The news agencies have reporters, not journalists, or even investigators now. They all REPORT something told to them as relevant. It's a sad state of affairs.One need not even go to school anymore to maintain these careers, just be able to look pretty, project their voices properly, and read cue cards... Sad indeed...
    Last edited by Silly Wabbit, 18th January 2021 at 18:16.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silly Wabbit For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th January 2021), Wind (18th January 2021)

Thanks
    Hi Silly, long time no see ... some people detest it, sometimes they even aggravate me, but the NPR and PBS systems are great sources for less egocentric news coverage. The BBC is pretty good about covering European news especially when it affects Americans ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th January 2021), Wind (18th January 2021)

Thanks
    Hi Silly, long time no see ... some people detest it, sometimes they even aggravate me, but the NPR and PBS systems are great sources for less egocentric news coverage. The BBC is pretty good about covering European news especially when it affects Americans ...
    Thank You... I will check it out. Sadly I live in America and what I see on the news if a far cry from what I actually experience as an American... I do not wish to get in the middle of a dispute, I just wish that people had the chance to come to America and see that what they're being shown doesn't necessarily reflect the America I know...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silly Wabbit For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th January 2021), Wind (18th January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Silly Wabbit View Post
    I thank you for your opinions on Trump and such, but sadly the views of these people creating videos has a fatal flaw. They lump every issue, every disagreement, and every stupid move, into one category and give the impression that because someone likes Trump, that they also think alike or agree with everything he or his administration does. This couldn't be further from the truth.
    I am no where near that charitable about the other side. Nancy Pelosi may be old and strong but she's not deaf, dump, and blind.

The real guy I was looking for was Dr. Bandy X. Lee a highly respected psychiatrist from Harvard that anlyzes why Americans have lost their minds.

b.t.w. Wind found it, if you read you will see why it is so important to our culture.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 18th January 2021 at 17:59.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th January 2021), Silly Wabbit (18th January 2021), Wind (18th January 2021)

Thanks
    I am no where near that charitable about the other side. Nancy Pelosi may be old and strong but she's not deaf, dump, and blind.

The real guy I was looking for was Dr. Bandy X. Lee a highly respected psychiatrist from Harvard that anlyzes why Americans have lost their minds.

b.t.w. Wind found it, if you read you will see why it is so important to our culture.
    I suppose my big issue with the videos and how the news portrays America, is that it tries so very hard to divide us as a nation. And it is doing a good job... I have seen people lose friends over their opinions, rather than finding common ground, etc...

I find it difficult for any nation to ever move forward as a "United" anything, if they specialize in driving wedges between parties, drawing lines in the sand and fighting like schoolkids, it has just turned into a circus. When I watched the debates, I saw two children, interrupting each other, one saying "Awe c'mon man". Since when is this ettiquite? And in any way respectable, and these are the people supposedly running the free world?

So when I see these videos, on either side, (as I do not wish to see "Sides" I vote on issues....) It drives me nuts to think these are the people representing us Americans... I see friends disassociating with others, because of their political affiliations (even if they agree on issues), I see people refusing to tell their affiliation, as they know they will lose good friends... It's all madness. And I believe it is being designed that way...

It is going to take a well spoken individual to come to the forefront, to remind us that we are all in this together and bashing the neighbor serves no useful purpose.

And on top of that, Most presidents, in my opinion, are nothing more than figureheads anyway...

I suppose I just can't get behind those making a living taking news, and manipulating it "as they see it" because we all see things differently. My biggest issue is, you cannot seem to escape the topic for even a minute these days. Between politics and the virus, ugh.....

Big hugs, and best wishes Not a Pretender... You keep them on their toes, I need a nap hahaha. And I will read it, Thank You..
    Last edited by Silly Wabbit, 18th January 2021 at 18:15.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silly Wabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I most assuredly agree with that SW ...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th January 2021), Silly Wabbit (18th January 2021), Wind (19th January 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Good to see you again, Silly Wabbit. Your comments are thoughtful and appreciated.

America has and has had a lot of influence in the world. Many nations and other entities would love to see us weakened. That gives them some kind of opportunity whether it's to step in and fill any gaps, create more, take power for themselves, just bring us down for the sake of it.

Most people and nations around the world don't want this, but it only takes a couple/few to cause trouble.

Just like it only takes a few people to make us look bad.

It's not only the media that shows the world who we are. We show it ourselves through organizations around the world which help people, or try to, and we welcome - until the last four years - new people onto our soil.

It's become clear that the Presidency is much more than a figurehead as the current one has demonstrated again and again. Our system can't operate as it needs to when it doesn't have leadership from above and chaos is not leadership.

Trump will likely herald scrutiny of the powers of the office because of his tenure. It was strengthened by those who worked towards the idea of a Unitary Executive for the last couple of decades and Trump took that to the nth degree. So we'll just need to bring it back into balance.

But America has been so litigious and people rely on the courts too much to 'solve' issues which are really about legislation. Courts are not legislators.

We need to get back to doing things the right way. And The People have to be involved so the vultures won't take all the positions of power.

Easy, right?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (19th January 2021), Wind (19th January 2021)

Thanks
    I forgot to mention the effect of social media.

It's had an immense influence on division, acting like a catalyst. Folks have a free platform which reaches all around the world to network for good, and for bad.

At some point you have to put the brakes on the bad. When folks have demonstrated that they are willing to organize to hurt or kill people, there's a responsibility to try to stop it.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (19th January 2021), Wind (19th January 2021)

Thanks
    This is about recent history.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Six good things before one bad thing. Fourteen good things in all.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6CXhUS-x8

These are the same fourteen things...

Hanna Arendt anyone?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (21st January 2021), Emil El Zapato (20th January 2021)

Thanks
    wow ... great twist ending ... sounds like BeauBeau is reaching some pepos

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (20th January 2021), Elen (21st January 2021)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Undoubtedly a well spoken man!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (21st January 2021)

Thanks
    It seems like it's more than immigration that is being calculated.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbp-0W9aR7g

Beau addresses the critical nature of folks on the left.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (22nd January 2021), Emil El Zapato (21st January 2021)