Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 233031323334353643 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie trailer thread

Thanks
    Thanked 27,303 Times in 7,219 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Just as I said I didn't like zombie movies, I decided to watch this ...
    Zombie burnout, huh? We live in a world of zombies anyways. I used to watch the first three seasons of the Walking Dead. It did got a bit stale and I never even watched the World War Z movie with Brad Pitt. I can't believe they're still making that WD series.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIdjcDTc9Vk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th June 2022), Aragorn (10th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Zombie burnout, huh? We live in a world of zombies anyways. I used to watch the first three seasons of the Walking Dead. It did got a bit stale and I never even watched the World War Z movie with Brad Pitt. I can't believe they're still making that WD series.
    Is that a new movie? The Aliens against Zombies? I gotta watch that one!
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th June 2022), Aragorn (10th June 2022), Wind (10th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Is that a new movie? The Aliens against Zombies? I gotta watch that one!
    If you're referring to "World War Z", then no, it's a horror/action movie from 2013 — I've got it here on my computer. It's not bad, but it clearly reeks of pro-American and pro-Israeli propaganda.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th June 2022), Wind (10th June 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    If you're referring to "World War Z", then no, it's a horror/action movie from 2013 — I've got it here on my computer. It's not bad, but it clearly reeks of pro-American and pro-Israeli propaganda.
    I've seen it, Brad Pitt is cool, I like his movies, it wasn't a gem by any stretch though. I don't recall any political nuance in it but it might have been there.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 10th June 2022 at 13:12. Reason: trimmed your quotes

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've seen it, Brad Pitt is cool, I like his movies, it wasn't a gem by any stretch though. I don't recall any political nuance in it but it might have been there.
    Oh, come on, man! Israel taking in Palestinians within their walls to protect them from the zombies?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th June 2022), Wind (10th June 2022)

Thanks
    Oh, come on, man! Israel taking in Palestinians within their walls to protect them from the zombies?
    I see, but that is a 'look' to the positive, in my opinion not meant as a political statement but a human response/thing under challenge. A view of the positive, if you will. Everyone knows that in reality for the most part it is pure bs. That's a HUGE part of those Hollywood liberal scumbags act.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I see, but that is a 'look' to the positive, in my opinion not meant as a political statement but a human response/thing under challenge. A view of the positive, if you will. Everyone knows that in reality for the most part it is pure bs. That's a HUGE part of those Hollywood liberal scumbags act.
    I think I need to rewatch the movie ...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've been intending to watch it, but never did. It has a lot of not so great CGI. I've seen some of those scenes from Israel.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th June 2022), Aragorn (10th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (10th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (26th June 2022), Wind (26th June 2022)

Thanks

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th June 2022), Aragorn (26th June 2022), Wind (26th June 2022)

Thanks

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Wind (14th July 2022)

Thanks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    I've seen both seasons and it's quite good
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th July 2022), Wind (24th July 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Lord Sidious View Post
    Star Trek: Picard
    I've seen both seasons and it's quite good
    I have them both on my computer and I've recently binge-watched them both — one season per day, ten episodes of roughly 50 minutes each, for two days in a row. I was already highly enthusiastic about it when I first saw the initial trailer, and I have not been let down.

The story arcs are very good, the acting is simply outstanding, the characters have a lot of depth to them, consistent with their appearance in earlier Star Trek series (where applicable), but with a much more profound explanation and a clear evolution of their personalities over time. Even the bad guys have a depth to them that you wouldn't necessarily have expected from watching earlier Star Trek shows, and I like the fact that the Romulans were also shown in another role than villains for a change.

The ice between the Romulans and the Federation had of course already been broken somewhat — as we say here — during the Dominion War (in "Star Trek: Deep Space 9"), and then later when Jean-Luc Picard — then still the Captain of the Enterprise E — disposed of Shinzon (in "Star Trek: Nemesis"), and then of course with Picard's strive for Federation assistance in the evacuation of the Romulan solar system when the supernova occurred that would ultimately destroy said solar system (as per the events before the timeline split — but leading to it — in the J.J. Abrams reboot of the franchise).

In addition to that, this particular series is also far more realistic with regard to the United Federation of Planets, which is for most part shown as this idyllic and perfect society throughout the other series. Yes, there was mention of the Maquis in TNG, DS9 and VOY as dissidents from the Federation, but in that equation, the Federation also came out as the righteous one, and the Maquis as just a bunch of emotionally unstable malcontents who had become terrorists against the Cardassians after feeling betrayed when former Federation colonies were handed over to the Cardassians as part of the negotiations that ended the Cardassian-Federation war.

Other than that, the Federation was supposedly perfect and flawless, and up until now, any kind of corruption within the Federation or within Starfleet in particular was always the work of some outside agencies, from parasites that had taken over the bodies of several high-ranking Starfleet officers (TNG), over various Romulan machinations (TNG), all the way up to the autocratic Section 31 division of Starfleet Intelligence (DS9). Up until now, because Starfleet and the Federation had betrayed now-Admiral Jean-Luc Picard by turning their backs on the Romulan people in need of evacuation when the Synth War broke out — a war that was itself of course once again caused by an external agency (with an infiltrator occupying a high rank within Starfleet), but the responsibility of reneging on their promise to the Romulans sure lies with the Federation and Starfleet themselves. And they left Jean-Luc Picard, their former flagship Captain, to take the fall for it.

Given the two teasers I've posted, I don't think I've given away any spoilers here, because this is all canonical to where the series takes off, and I don't think I'm giving away any spoiling secrets either by mentioning that "Q" and the Borg Queen — who are clearly shown to appear in the teaser for season 2 — also have very interesting backgrounds, and an equally interesting motivation for their behavior. I had already long suspected the real reason why "Q" was constantly badgering Picard — and Sisko in DS9, and Janeway in VOY — but I couldn't really get into the mind of the Borg Queen until the second season of "Star Trek: Picard". Even the "Star Trek: First Contact" movie, which entirely revolved around the Borg Queen and her machinations, never touched upon these aspects of her being.

All in all — and I will acknowledge that the following is my personal opinion — I consider "Star Trek: Picard" the best of all series in the franchise, as much as I've enjoyed all of the series I've watched — and to the extent that I could watch them, because the network that carried them over here was very capricious in its programming, and not all seasons were broadcast. I also haven't watched "Star Trek: Discovery", but from what I've heard it's not quite as good, and way too full of "woke" stuff. The last thing I need is for one of my favorite series to become a vehicle for propaganda and thought-policing, and I'm sure Gene Roddenberry wouldn't have intended things to take that direction either.

Either way, and as much as I've enjoyed the original series, "The Next Generation", "Deep Space 9", "Voyager" and "Enterprise", "Picard" is now my favorite. There's one more season to come, and it has already been shot but is now in the final stages of production, and it is scheduled to be released only in 2023. Although no hints or clues regarding the story arc have been released yet, Paramount did confirm that Jean-Luc Picard is returning to the Enterprise and that virtually all of the TNG cast will reappear during the upcoming season: Gates McFadden (as Beverly Crusher), Marina Sirtis (as Deanna Troi), Jonathan Frakes (as William T. Riker), Michael Dorn (as Worf) and LeVar Burton (as Geordi LaForge). I don't know whether Brent Spiner will be in it yet — whether as Data in Picard's memories or as (yet) another one of the Soong family members — nor whether Whoopie Goldberg (Guinan) will be reprising her role. I suspect that Will Wheaton (Wesley Crusher) won't be in it, though, given that he was already given a cameo in season 2.

I'm not sure whether Jeri Ryan (as Annika Hansen, alias Seven of Nine) or Michelle Hurd (as Rafaella "Raffi" Musiker) will be reprising their roles from the first two seasons, but it's highly possible, given that the both of them are now Starfleet officers. Evan Agora will not be back as Elnor, nor will Santiago Cabrera be, given his character (Christobal "Chris" Rios)'s choice to remain in the past at the end of season 2.

According to Marina Sirtis, the third season will give the entire crew of the Enterprise "a proper sendoff", which she felt they never got at the end of the "Star Trek: Nemesis" movie. Also, it would have been a dangerous decision of Paramount to count on more than three seasons, given Sir Patrick Stewart's respectable age — he has turned 82 on the 13th of July this year, and he already had physical difficulty with some of the more action-oriented scenes in the first two seasons.

So, a proper sendoff... Yes, I'll drink to that.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Wind (24th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Geez, I give you a one liner and come back to see a fuckin epic..............
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th July 2022), Wind (24th July 2022)