Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 142122232425262734 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie trailer thread

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Not sure if posted earlier here. Will give this one a go too. Mankind sure has become blind...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rg0y7NT1gU
    looks great ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th October 2021), Dreamtimer (1st November 2021), Wind (30th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    This at least was the most expensive Finnish film so far with a budget of 15 million dollars or Euros.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTYesNj_sBg

The most important Finnish (curse) word you need to know, it sure tells a lot about the mentality of Finns.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWHxv9-DPTY

Perkele is a Finnish word meaning "evil spirit" and a popular Finnish profanity, used similarly to English "god damn". It is most likely the most internationally known Finnish curse word.

The mother of all Finnish swearwords. Literally means the devil but at the same time it means so much more. You can make the curse longer and more effective by rolling the ‘r’. If you say it, say it like you mean it!

The name is of Indo-European origin; Perkwunos is the reconstructed name of the god of thunder. Other gods from cultures hypothesized from the same origin include Perkūnas (Lithuania), Pērkons (Latvia), Percunis (Prussia), Piarun (Belarus), Peko or Pekolasõ (Estonia), Parjanya (India), Fairguneis (Gothic), and Perun or Piorun (Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th November 2021)

Thanks
    I didn't know that Finland bordered Russia...How did you get so close, I'll bet you can see Russia from your kitchen window ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Wind (9th November 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    I didn't know that Finland bordered Russia...
    My God, did you get the "American education" or what? You are one stable genius, my man.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    My God, did you get the "American education" or what? You are one stable genius, my man.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th November 2021), Wind (9th November 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I be edjymacated right here in the good ol' USofA. I just thought the North Pole was on the northern border of Russia. Historically you don't hear much about Finland during WWII. At least I haven't, Scandinavia is another world for me much like Australia and New Zealand. You do make an interesting point in reality, though ... Perhaps, nuns and midwest conservatives are afraid to talk about Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway causem you guys are way too socially out there. The only place I've been introduced to the Nordic countries is my own reading in sociology books ...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Wind (11th November 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Wow, Brazil sure is big... (remember that one?)

I've been to Russia and Scandinavia. It was all beautiful. Scandinavia was amazingly clean.

I was in St Petersburg in Russia. It's a lovely city. Peter the Great is a big deal there. He built a fort, beat the Swedes, and kept the city for Russia. He'd pull the beards off of men who wouldn't shave them. He wanted a port city with a European flavor.

He was tall and slept sitting up. So his bed was very short.

The Fins relate more to Russians than the rest of Scandinavia as I understand it. But that's a pretty gross generalization.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Aragorn (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2021), Wind (11th November 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    The Fins relate more to Russians than the rest of Scandinavia as I understand it. But that's a pretty gross generalization.
    Technically, Finland is not considered part of Scandinavia, even though it does have a Swedish speaking minority. Linus Torvalds was a member of that minority. But Finnish proper doesn't sound anything like Swedish, Danish or Norwegian.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Dreamtimer (11th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2021), Wind (11th November 2021)

Thanks
    Finland is and isn't part of the Scandinavia. It indeed is interesting that Finnish as a language is so different compared to Swedish, Danish or Norwegian, which are all North Germanic languages whereas Finnish is part of the Uralic languages, closest to ours would be of course Estonian and interestingly also Hungarian. I understand some Estonian words, not sentences, and it's like they would be speaking Finnish in some gibberish way, it sounds quite weird to my brain. Russian is way different too. Here's your daily dose of education.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uWYvlyeBc
    Last edited by Wind, 11th November 2021 at 13:10.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Aragorn (11th November 2021), Dreamtimer (11th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th November 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Ah the Finnish pun. I like to call myself Flemish when I get a frog in my throat.

I did not recall that Agricola was Finnish.

"Maybe gender equality is built into the language." It's the language which reflects the culture. If it's built into the language, it was already built into the culture.

English used to use 'they' as a neutral third person singular. And it was a group of scholarly men who got together and decreed that English needed clear masculine and feminine pronouns and 'cancelled' the use of 'they' as a singular.

It's about the culture.

Agglutinative. What a fun word. I looked it up. Japanese is agglutinative and so are many indigenous languages. And many others around the world.

I think it would be a good exercise for the brain and spirit to immerse in a very different language and learn it intimately.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Aragorn (11th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th November 2021), Wind (11th November 2021)

Thanks
    Finland is and isn't part of the Scandinavia. It indeed is interesting that Finnish as a language is so different compared to Swedish, Danish or Norwegian, which are all North Germanic languages whereas Finnish is part of the Uralic languages, closest to ours would be of course Estonian and interestingly also Hungarian. I understand some Estonian words, not sentences, and it's like they would be speaking Finnish in some gibberish way, it sounds quite weird to my brain. Russian is way different too. Here's your daily dose of education.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uWYvlyeBc
    Really interesting, Wind ... thanks. I was bored to tears by English grammar...I'm sure they would have put me in special ed if i had been born in Finland. (I do have a cousin there as you might remember me noting) ...

I did take Latin classes in high school, but, of course, I took no effort to actually get passing grades... I always had a really bad attitude.

Ah the Finnish pun. I like to call myself Flemish when I get a frog in my throat.

I did not recall that Agricola was Finnish.

"Maybe gender equality is built into the language." It's the language which reflects the culture. If it's built into the language, it was already built into the culture.

English used to use 'they' as a neutral third person singular. And it was a group of scholarly men who got together and decreed that English needed clear masculine and feminine pronouns and 'cancelled' the use of 'they' as a singular.

It's about the culture.

Agglutinative. What a fun word. I looked it up. Japanese is agglutinative and so are many indigenous languages. And many others around the world.

I think it would be a good exercise for the brain and spirit to immerse in a very different language and learn it intimately.
    Here's a question for you, DT. When did the phrase "It happened by accident" change to "It happened on accident". I'm still puzzled by that, when my daughter first starting using that terminology I thought she was misunderstanding the normal syntax.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Aragorn (11th November 2021), Dreamtimer (14th November 2021), Wind (11th November 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    I did take Latin classes in high school, but, of course, I took no effort to actually get passing grades... I always had a really bad attitude.
    Sure sounds like you.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Aragorn (11th November 2021), Dreamtimer (14th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th November 2021)

Thanks
    Sure sounds like you.
    yeah, that's me. I would not advise anyone to take that as a life's course...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Aragorn (11th November 2021), Dreamtimer (14th November 2021), Wind (12th November 2021)

Thanks
    So you're saying I have a frog in my throat?

Hmm... Now I'm not sure whether I should make an appointment with my doctor, make a delivery at an animal shelter, or sue you for using non-inclusive language that stigmatizes the ethnic population group I belong to.

Let me get to my safe space, so that I may contemplate the situation.

And now it's back as a singular with a politically imperative underlying significance.

It's about the culture.
    In French ─ actually, in all Latin-based languages that I know of, but I'm sure El Bologneso™ will correct me if I'm wrong every noun has a gender, which may or may not be congruent with the actual meaning of the noun, although the pronoun "il" is generally also used for genderless things. So for instance, the phrase "il pleut" means "it rains" or "it's raining" in English, but if you were to interpret that literally ─ as would for instance be the case if someone were to try and translate it without properly understanding the language ─ it would translate into "he rains" or "he's raining. And that's "raining", not "reigning".

Strangely enough, there are some incongruities in this linguistic property, such as when you are talking of a group of individuals. The French translation of the genderless English pronoun "they" would then be "ils" if they are all males, "elles" if they are all females, and "ils" again if even only one of them is male. So a group of 99 women and one man is referred to as "ils" (if the pronoun is the subject of a sentence).

Also, because every noun has a gender, the article used with the noun also represents said gender ─ e.g. "un" (male) versus "une" (female) or "le" (male) versus "la" (female). And the strange thing here again is that the plural form "les" ─ the "s" is silent, and the article is pronounced somewhat like "lay" in English ─ is in fact genderless.

One thing that I've always found strange about English is that animals are generally always referred to as an "it", even for pets. In Dutch and German, animals are referred to by their gender if it is known, and by an implied gender if the gender is unknown. So if you have a dog and it's a male, then you refer to your dog as "he". But as I said, in both Dutch and German, there is also an implied gender when the actual gender of the animal is unknown.

In the event of equines (horses, donkeys, mules and zebras), canines (dogs, wolves, coyotes, dingoes, jackals, hyenas), bears, birds, cetaceans (dolphins, whales, et al), pinnipeds (seals, walruses, sea lions, et al), all fish except for rays, all crustaceans except for crabs, elephants, hippos, all of the big cats (lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, panthers, lynxes, ocelots, cougars, and so on), sheep, pigs, lizards, amphibians, scorpions, beetles, ants, hornets, cephalopods (octopuses, cuttlefish and squid), butterflies and worms, the implied gender is male. In the event of rodents (except for squirrels and capybaras), goats, snakes, crocodiles, spiders, mosquitoes, flies, domesticated and feral cats, rays, crabs, snails and slugs, moths, bees and wasps, the implied gender is female. This list is far from complete, of course, but you should get the gist.

Flowers and most plants are also referred to as female, but trees are always referred to as male.

German has both genderless and gender-specific articles. Dutch only has genderless articles, but there is a difference between the strong article "de" (which can be used for either male or female nouns) and the weak article "het" (which in and of itself is genderless but can be used with implicitly male or implicitly female nouns). De" and "het" both translate to "the" in English, although "het" can also be used as a standalone article, in which case it translates to "it" in English.

The distinction between strong and weak nouns and their distinct articles depends on whether the plural form of the noun is spelled with an "-en" or "-s" suffix on the one hand, or with an "-es" suffix on the other hand. A plural ending in either "-en" or "-s" is considered strong, while a plural ending in "-es" is considered weak. Therefore, the diminutive form of a singular noun ─ which will always have its plural ending in "es" ─ will also always be preceded by the article "het" and be considered genderless, even if the noun itself refers to an explicitly male or female entity ─ e.g. "het jongetje" ("the little boy"). The plural form of either article is always "de", even for weak nouns ─ e.g. "de jongetjes" ("the little boys").

The only exception to that rule is if the article is "een", which is used in the same way as the English article "a/an". When used in writing as an indicator of quantity, "een" will be spelled as "één", meaning "one" in English. They are also pronounced differently; "een" is pronounced the same way as "an" in English, while "één" is pronounced somewhat like the last three characters of the English word "rain" ─ it's not exactly the same sound, but the English language has no equivalent vowel.

"Een" and "één" can be used with both weak and strong nouns, and thus with a male, female or genderless implication. In French, this is not the case; they will always use "un" for male nouns and "une" for female nouns. The implied gender may also differ between Dutch and French. For instance, in Dutch, a car is implied to be male, while in French it is implied to be female.

The complexity of Dutch ─ and German is even worse ─ is one of the reasons why Afrikaans, as an offshoot of Dutch, is so greatly simplified in both grammar and spelling. Dutch has only become more complex over the years, whereas Afrikaans took a reductionist approach in its evolution from Middle Dutch ─ i.e. the Dutch as spoken here in Western Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries, which is when the Dutch colonists left for South Africa.

Anyway, the topic has now drifted to such an extent that even Chris Harris would have a hard time getting it back on track. So...

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Dreamtimer (16th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (12th November 2021), Wind (12th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th November 2021), Wind (15th November 2021)