Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38454647484950 LastLast

Thread: The movie trailer thread

Thanks
    Thanked 27,062 Times in 7,130 Posts
    Have you seen this movie, Chuck? If not, it's right up your alley. I saw it only once when I was younger, it's based on a true story. That nutcase might be released. The movie was hilarious although some parts were a bit savage, but I can see how this movie proved to people Tom Hardy's acting chops. It made me laugh out loud more than a few times. The director of the movie went to later make the famous movie called Drive. It was stylish, but a tad too violent for my taste. By that I mean it was really violent and bloody.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2VM7UTy1xw

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xiYevv_W8
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th November 2023), Chuckie (30th November 2023), Gio (5th December 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 42,835 Times in 11,792 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Have you seen this movie, Chuck? If not, it's right up your alley. I saw it only once when I was younger, it's based on a true story. That nutcase might be released. The movie was hilarious although some parts were a bit savage, but I can see how this movie proved to people Tom Hardy's acting chops. It made me laugh out loud more than a few times. The director of the movie went to later make the famous movie called Drive. It was stylish, but a tad too violent for my taste. By that I mean it was really violent and bloody.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xiYevv_W8
    You'll have to forgive me, the name Tom Hardy is familiar but I can't name anything that he has been in...Drive also sounds very familiar. I don't like gore, violence is hugely entertaining, but running blood doesn't appeal to me...However, this looks like a pretty entertaining movie and I will watch it.
    “I am a social justice...advocate and I say, "Stop the Hate!"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th November 2023), Gio (5th December 2023), Wind (30th November 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    You'll have to forgive me, the name Tom Hardy is familiar but I can't name anything that he has been in...Drive also sounds very familiar. I don't like gore, violence is hugely entertaining, but running blood doesn't appeal to me...However, this looks like a pretty entertaining movie and I will watch it.
    He's just one of the best actors of our time? Shares the same birthday with me...

He was Bane in the Dark Knight Rises. A bland movie, but he was the highlight in it.

Inception, I think he was in Star Trek too early on in his career. He was Mad Max!

The bad guy in The Revenant, I still have to see that one of these very cold days.

Also his series Taboo was quite interesting, moody and dark. I recommend it.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9QvSry2-CM

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuetklFtDQ

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUEueudwDTA

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th November 2023), Gio (5th December 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,768 Times in 20,179 Posts
    You'll have to forgive me, the name Tom Hardy is familiar but I can't name anything that he has been in...
    Among other things, he played the role of Shinzon, the titular nemesis to Captain Jean-Luc Picard in the eponymous "Star Trek: Nemesis" movie.

Shinzon was a clone of Jean-Luc Picard, created from a drop of Picard's blood by the Romulans a long time before the setting of the movie, with the intent of using the clone for infiltrating Starfleet. However, the plan was abandoned, and Shinzon — then still a little boy — was exiled to Remus, the tidally locked sibling planet of Romulus.

Remus was an inhabited planet, but unlike the Romulans, who originated as an offshoot of the Vulcans when the teachings of Surak became accepted on Vulcan in approximately the 5th century of our time count here on Earth, the Remans were indigenous to Remus, and due to the planet being tidally locked to its sun — meaning that there was one permanently lit and scorching hot side, and one permanently dark and frozen side — the Remans as a species had developed underground, in caves. Biologically, they descended from bats. As such, the Remans have very poor vision and cannot tolerate bright light. However, they were a hardy folk, and fierce warriors. The Romulans treated them very badly — as second-rate citizens at best, or slaves at worst — and during the Dominion War (as per "Star Trek: Deep Space 9"), they used the Remans as cannon fodder.

When Shinzon was exiled to Remus, the Remans took the boy in and protected him against the brutal Romulan guards. He began regarding them as family, and growing up into an adult man, he developed megalomania. Together with the Remans and a few collaborators within the Romulan Senate and the Romulan military, Shinzon assassinated the entire Romulan Senate and took the place of the Praetor. All of the Reman resources had been poured into the development and construction of a gigantic warbird, the Scimitar. However, being a clone, Shinzon's body started showing genetic defects and needed part of his genes and his organs replaced. He therefore devised a plan to lure Picard to Romulus under the pretense of wanting to make peace with the Federation, and upon meeting Shinzon, Picard, seeing a younger version of himself and recognizing many of his own traits in Shinzon, almost fell for the ruse.

The plot was however discovered because Shinzon and his Reman forces had planted a Trojan horse: an earlier and less intelligent android of the Soong type, or otherwise put, a primitive and older version of Data, called B4 ("before"), whom they had left for the Enterprise to discover while en route to Romulus. While seemingly innocent and naive, it is discovered that B4 has a special module built into him — by the Remans, as it will turn out later — that overrides his personality and lets him carry out a spying program. However, the crew of the Enterprise discover the ploy, and they in turn replace B4 by Data himself in order to thwart Shinzon's plan of having Picard serve as an unwilling organ donor to repair his own failing body.

I'll stop here before I spill too many beans, but it's a good movie, and it is one of those few occasions where Picard starts doubting himself, based upon the fact that Shinzon, who is his clone and thus — or at least, in "Star Trek"'s interpretation — identical to Picard, has a lot of blood on his hands, having wiped out the entire Romulan Senate and most of the Romulan military.

One thing I can reveal, if you've seen the series "Star Trek. Picard", which is that 'Nemesis" is the movie in which Data dies while saving the Enterprise, which — as explained in "Star Trek: Picard" — will affect Jean-Luc Picard for decades to come.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chuckie (1st December 2023), Gio (5th December 2023), Wind (1st December 2023)

Thanks
    Talking about "Mad Max", the next movie in the series is coming out next year. It was a big regret of mine that I could not see Fury Road in a movie theater, but it still was great. I hope this would be great and physical with it's effects too. However, in this trailer they heavily use CGI and it looks pretty bad. Also the movie is about Furiosa and there's no Max in it. Instead there's Chris "Thor" Hemsworth in it too.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJMuhwVlca4

Perhaps you old-timers never have played videogames, but Fallout is a legendary roleplaying game series.

Although I ever really played the third one, it was pretty good. It's about life in nuclear wasteland after war.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQ8i2FpRDk

This is an animated movie I'm quite eager to see. It's original title was "How do you live?". It's made by Studio Ghibli and the greatest living animator, Hayao Miyazaki. He has taken 10 years to make this film and it's going to be his last movie. "Miyazaki wanted to leave behind a feature dedicated to his grandson. According to Suzuki, “Miyazaki is making the new film for his grandson. It’s his way of saying, ‘Grandpa is moving on to the next world, but he’s leaving behind this film.'" After he's gone there won't be anyone left with his kind of talent. Animated hand drawn movies are a dying artform although in Japan there are still plenty of those kind of movies, but in the west CGI replaced that stuff already 20 years ago. You lose something in the process when you take out the human element.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5khm-VjEu4
    Last edited by Wind, 25th February 2024 at 22:24.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th December 2023), Chuckie (6th December 2023), Gio (5th December 2023)

Thanks
    Perhaps you old-timers never have played videogames, but Fallout is a legendary rolpelaying game series.

Although I ever really played the third one, it was pretty good. It's about life in nuclear wasteland after war.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQ8i2FpRDk
    Fallout looks interesting..I think I recognized an actor from "Lost". I thought it was a great series with a great ending.
    Last edited by Wind, 6th December 2023 at 04:23. Reason: Fixed quoting

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Gio (13th December 2023), Wind (6th December 2023)

Thanks
    Fallout looks interesting..I think I recognized an actor from "Lost". I thought it was a great series with a great ending.
    Yeah, that was one of the bad guys. Lost used to be my all time favorite series up until third season, I lost interest at the fourth season.
    Last edited by Wind, 6th December 2023 at 21:26.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th December 2023), Chuckie (6th December 2023)

Thanks
    Yeah, that was one of the bad guys. Lost used to be my all time favorite season up until third season, I lost interest at the fourth season.
    I watched the whole series, and I still think it was one of the best series ever made. Sure, there were a few goof-ups, and the plot did seem a bit awkward at times, but in the end, it proved to have all been meticulously planned.

The actors were all great too — as were the characters — and part of what made their performance so authentic was that they too were not aware of how the plot would evolve. The producers deliberately kept them in the dark about it, so that the actors would have to improvise with whatever little information they had.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chuckie (6th December 2023), Gio (13th December 2023), Wind (6th December 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I watched the whole series, and I still think it was one of the best series ever made. Sure, there were a few goof-ups, and the plot did seem a bit awkward at times, but in the end, it proved to have all been meticulously planned.

The actors were all great too — as were the characters — and part of what made their performance so authentic was that they too were not aware of how the plot would evolve. The producers deliberately kept them in the dark about it, so that the actors would have to improvise with whatever little information they had.
    Who were your favorite characters? I found John Locke to be the most interesting although I know Jack was supposed to be the main character. I think a few others were interesting like Mr. Eko, although I don't really remember so much anymore. Hurley? The pleasant big guy. Sawyer was always up to something. Kate. Desmond? I think I liked him too. I only have heard later that many didn't really like the series ending, I wouldn't really know as I ended somewhere around season four and never picked up on it again. It's been so many years now that I have wondered if it would be even worth the effort. However, back in the day it was a weekly source of excitement for me to wait for the new episode of Lost. The seasons 1-2 were magnificent in my mind. I think season 3 must have been pretty good too, but I watched the series on tv and once I started to miss some episodes, didn't continue anymore. I have all of the seasons on disc though.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPpvyv27SQo

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYfKHVdmjzQ

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th December 2023), Chuckie (6th December 2023), Gio (13th December 2023)

Thanks
    Who were your favorite characters?
    Oh wow, that's a tough question. I actually liked most of the characters, even though some of them were obviously scripted to be disliked — or at the very least, until you knew their background and what led them to becoming who they were.

Of course, Hurley was the one guy in the whole series whom you could just never hate. Apart from that he was once admitted to a psychiatric ward, he was one of the most sane and level-headed people, and at times he was actually really funny. He was friends with just about everyone.

On the other hand, Jack and Sawyer were quickly put up against each other as the good guy versus the bad guy — and in that order — but Jack clearly has a dark side too, as evidenced from when he has Sayid torture Sawyer in order to get the required meds for Shannon, only to learn later that Sawyer never even had the meds to begin with, but that he only pretended to have them in order to trick Kate into kissing him "in exchange for the meds".

Later on in the series — specifically, in the flash-forwards — Jack is also revealed to have become a prescription drug addict, abusing his position as a doctor (and even faking prescriptions in his deceased father's name) to get to the drugs, until it is discovered. And just as Jack has a dark side, Sawyer's background also explains where he in turn comes from, and in the 6th season, you get to see him in an alternate timeline where he is actually an undercover cop.

Sayid was also an interesting character. He too had a very dark background, as a former torturer for the Iraqi Republican Guard, and then later he is reluctantly recruited by (I think) the CIA for infiltrating a Muslim terrorist group planning an attack. Near the end of the series, he becomes possessed by an evil force, but then ultimately he manages to overcome that.

Many characters had a lot of potential, albeit that not all of them were explored as in-depth as Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Locke. Their alternate-timeline versions were also interesting, and for some of them, the polar opposite of their "island" versions — for instance, the alternate-timeline version of Benjamin Linus, the leader of The Others, is a teacher who's bound to a wheelchair. But you really do need to watch those last two seasons in order to understand all of that, as well as to understand the mythology of the island itself. It also explains why Richard Alpert never appears to age, regardless of what time period they encounter him in — there is time travel involved, but I think you only get to see that in season 5. And... you finally get to discover who or what the Smoke Monster is.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chuckie (6th December 2023), Gio (13th December 2023), Wind (6th December 2023)

Thanks
    Sayid was also an interesting character.
    I remember him too now.

It also explains why Richard Alpert never appears to age, regardless of what time period they encounter him in — there is time travel involved, but I think you only get to see that in season 5. And... you finally get to discover who or what the Smoke Monster is.
    Funny thow some of the names of the characters are named in that show. They were based on real people or philosophers like John Locke, Rousseau and of course the great spiritual teacher Ram Dass was born as Richard Alpert, taught at Harvard, joined Timothy Leary's psychedelic club then in later years took a trip to India having a spiritual transformation, renaming himself Ram Dass. The writers in the series must have been chuckling at those names. I remember just over the years reading that the show-makers never really knew the end of the story and were making up all the mysteries as the show was progressing. One of the main people behind the show besides Damon Lindelof was J.J. Abrams who also created the show Alias, later on he went to direct many movies, including Mission Impossible 3, Star Trek and some of the Star Wars movies with not so good plots.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th December 2023), Chuckie (6th December 2023), Gio (13th December 2023)

Thanks
    Funny thow some of the names of the characters are named in that show.
    That was indeed done on purpose. For instance, there is a woman in the series called Eloise Hawking, Desmond's full name is Desmond David Hume, there's a guy called Minkowski, and so on. But Richard Alpert's name was anglified, because as will be revealed in season 5, he's a former Spanish prisoner named Ricardo from the 16th century, who was put onboard a galleon as a slave, and then he becomes the only survivor when the galleon gets swept up from the sea by a tidal wave and lands in the jungle. He then meets Jacob, and when Jacob tells him he can make a wish, he says (in Spanish) "I want to live forever."

I remember just over the years reading that the show-makers never really knew the end of the story and were making up all the mysteries as the show was progressing.
    No, that was just a rumor. People were claiming that the script writers didn't know where to go and were improvising, but this is not true. They knew precisely what they were doing, but they kept it a secret, even from the actors themselves.

One of the main people behind the show besides Damon Lindelof was J.J. Abrams who also created the show Alias, later on he went to direct many movies, including Mission Impossible 3, Star Trek and some of the Star Wars movies with not so good plots.
    Yeah, after "Lost" he suddenly became a lot more active and a lot more popular at the same time, and I personally think it got a bit to his head, because the more he took on, the more the quality of his work started going down. The "Star Trek" reboot wasn't too bad in and of itself — courtesy of having an excellent cast — but at the same time, it was a totally unnecessary twist to the original franchise in my opinion. And I also personally dislike reboots — I find it nothing but a cheap excuse for making money, and especially so if you're going to tackle a franchise in which the original cast was as memorable as on the original "Star Trek".

Chris Pine is an excellent actor and he did a good job at trying to interpret James T. Kirk, but I grew up with the original series, and for myself, no one will ever do a better job at portraying Kirk than William Shatner did, just as no one other than Patrick Stewart will ever convincingly portray Jean-Luc Picard. The only actor on the reboot who actually managed to capture the spirit of his Original Series counterpart was Karl Urban in his portrayal of Leonard McCoy. And as entertaining as Zachary Quinto and Zoë Saldana were in their respective roles as Spock and Uhura, they were nothing like Leonard Nimoy and Nichelle Nichols. And Simon Pegg may be a good actor too, but he was totally unidentifiable with the character of Scotty as played by James Doohan.

For a number of years now, there have also been plans — not from J.J. Abrams, though — to do a remake of the original "Highlander", and rumor has it that Tom Cruise will be starring as Ramirez. Same thing there: Tom Cruise may be a good actor, but he'll never be able to make the fans forget Sean Connery's performance in the original movie, as well as in the (very badly conceived) sequel, "Highlander II: The Quickening". For that matter, even Christopher Lambert and Clancy Brown were far too memorable as Connor MacCleod and the Kurgan respectively. I don't see how they could ever hope to rival let alone surpass those performances with a couple of new and still mostly unknown actors.

But then again, Hollywood is a business, and the money is all that matters. With a bit of US American propaganda sprinkled on top, if possible. Whether it's aliens or a ginormous comet that threaten the existence of all of humanity, America will always come in and save the day.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chuckie (7th December 2023), Gio (13th December 2023), Wind (6th December 2023)

Thanks
    Yeah, after "Lost" he suddenly became a lot more active and a lot more popular at the same time, and I personally think it got a bit to his head, because the more he took on, the more the quality of his work started going down. The "Star Trek" reboot wasn't too bad in and of itself — courtesy of having an excellent cast — but at the same time, it was a totally unnecessary twist to the original franchise in my opinion. And I also personally dislike reboots — I find it nothing but a cheap excuse for making money, and especially so if you're going to tackle a franchise in which the original cast was as memorable as on the original "Star Trek.
    After Star Trek Disney got him to direct the new Star Wars movie, which wasn't that bad actually. Except it had no original ideas and was just basically a copy of the original first one with some differences. However, for some reason the creators and writers didn't seem to have a whole arc for the whole three movie series and also there were some directors who were switched and actually then Abrams was hired to shoot the last film which may have been a surprise to him. He had to clean up the stuff that had been done in the previous movie because the director in that one had put his own kind of ideas into the Star Wars universe and creating and ending some plots which caused issues with the main plot spanning the whole series. Although when I saw all of them in theaters, I didn't dislike any of them at first, in fact I liked most of them. The problem was just that they were unoriginal and the last one was a terrible mess. I mean it really was a mess when it came to the plot, it was embarrassing.

It should tell you something that after that Disney hasn't released any Star Wars movies anymore, they're only focusing on the series now. The producer Kathleen Kennedy also had her own feministic ideas about the series and how the "Force is female". The new main character Rey in the new Star Wars movies was someone already innately powerful, but she didn't really have to do much at all to overcome her struggles or at least the movies failed to show that. She wasn't like Luke, who in the first Star Wars movie was just a young, dumb, naive farmboy wanting to go on an adventure. In the last movie he was a true jedi who had been overcoming his struggles and had to learn many valuable lessons and his struggles, both external and internal were shown in the movies. That made him relatable, also the chemistry between Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford was just excellent. You can't Force (pardon the pun) or fake something like that. Either it exists between the actors and characters or it doesn't. The problem with super-powerful main characters is that if they're not relatable at least in the beginning there is nothing interesting there. For that reason I just don't find superhero movies interesting as an adult. They're not relatable in any way, except for maybe some rare exceptions.

So if studios are only after big bucks with brands, it's not going to guarantee anything good. Only true inspiration, passion and creativity can create something entertaining and worthwhile. Such was the case with the original Star Wars trilogy. It was a group passion effort, at first with a limited budget which forced the makers of the series, George Lucas and his buddies to use way more creativity as they had less money to do what they wanted. Only later when George Lucas had so much more money he decided to "improve" his original movies with crappy digital additions and also he made his own new trilogy which at best was quite forgettable and at worst cringeworthy. Still the plot even in those movies made sense, because George always had the outline for the Skywalker saga in his mind. Or at least supposedly it was so, because even while filming the original movies they came up with new ideas and had to let go of some other ones.

These days Lucas seems to regret that he sold Star Wars to Disney. Now Disney (The Empire) is plotting it's next move with the series.
    Last edited by Wind, 7th December 2023 at 18:39.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th December 2023), Chuckie (7th December 2023), Gio (13th December 2023)

Thanks

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th December 2023), Gio (13th December 2023)

Thanks
    looks pretty cool, it actually looks like it might live up to the hype of the last 40 years...

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th December 2023), Gio (13th December 2023), Wind (13th December 2023)