Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 303738394041424350 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie trailer thread

Thanks
    Thanked 43,183 Times in 11,956 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    A karmic one perhaps. What USA did with the bombs in Japan was wrong, now that too is some heavy karma.
    I always thought it was truly shameful, a blot that could never be erased. But, if one reads the history it things look a little different.

I was going to a technical college way back once upon a time and had an instructor whose dad was a WWII veteran. He remarked once about how he and his dad felt that Japanese should not be allowed to visit the memorial at Pearl Harbor. I asked what he thought about Americans visiting Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Suffice to say we did not develop a close relationship.

Truth be told, I eventually pissed him off so bad that he lost it in class. Threw a marker and it busted on a guy's desk and splattered all over his clothes. That was the teacher's last day on the job. I never said anything, nor would I have said anything but the guy that didn't duck the missile wasn't going to have it. I felt very badly about it for a long time.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th May 2023), Wind (9th May 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,111 Times in 20,309 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    The guy that invented mustard gas and other early biochemicals was Jewish. Those chemicals were later used to gas Jews.
    Um, no, you got that wrong.

• Mustard gas was used by the Germans in the European trenches of World War I and was released from mortar-fired grenades.

• The gas the Nazis used for killing the Jews at the concentration camps during World War II was Zyklon B, and it was based on cyanide. It was a powder or possibly a solid substance that in contact with water would turn into a cyanide vapor, and so the Nazis installed it in the plumbing of the water supply that led to the shower sections of the Jewish barracks.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (9th May 2023), Lord Sidious (9th May 2023), Wind (9th May 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,483 Times in 7,285 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    The gas the Nazis used for killing the Jews at the concentration camps during World War II was Zyklon B, and it was based on cyanide.
    If I remember correctly, they first used it on rats and other pests. Then they extended the category of pests to Jews.
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (9th May 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 1,685 Posts
    If I remember correctly, they first used it on rats and other pests. Then they extended the category of pests to Jews.
    It's a pesticide.
    I think it's still in use today
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (9th May 2023), Wind (9th May 2023)

Thanks
    Um, no, you got that wrong.

• Mustard gas was used by the Germans in the European trenches of World War I and was released from mortar-fired grenades.

• The gas the Nazis used for killing the Jews at the concentration camps during World War II was Zyklon B, and it was based on cyanide. It was a powder or possibly a solid substance that in contact with water would turn into a cyanide vapor, and so the Nazis installed it in the plumbing of the water supply that led to the shower sections of the Jewish barracks.
    I didn't mean to be precise on that post, the gist of the story is correct though.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th May 2023), Wind (9th May 2023)

Thanks
    It was more 'weird' than jump scary but it was entertaining:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th May 2023), Wind (10th May 2023)

Thanks

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (12th May 2023)

Thanks
    Is that related to Asimov's Foundation if so, I'm going to need to make some streaming changes?

it is, isn't it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,111 Times in 20,309 Posts
    Is that related to Asimov's Foundation if so, I'm going to need to make some streaming changes?
    It's loosely based upon Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy, yes.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (12th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    It's loosely based upon Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy, yes.
    yeah, that dragon didn't fit the way I remember it, anyway.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th May 2023), Wind (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    Yes, it is the upcoming second season. I started watching the first season, I probably left the series somewhere midseason and it seemed promising, I just have my very slow way of watching any series these days and I might lose my interest fast. I also lost my free subscription for now. They've spent big bucks on it as you can witness by just seeing all the grand visuals and world-building. It's quite amazing at least in the beginning, but my God are those Emperor-rulers annoying, ruthless, narcissistic, psychopathic assholes. Kinda like some leaders we have now, just with more power. I wonder that if eventually humanity becomes a galatic empire we would have issues with leadership like that, I sure hope not. More like Galactic Democracy is something we should aspire to have. A social democracy.

Although I've not read Asimov's books nor Philip K. Dick's stuff yet (Blade Runner is based on his book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?), I've loved good scifi such as the original and new Blade Runner. Good scifi makes you wonder about the grander things and also about humanity and humans. How we have developed as species and how far we could go, but also what kind of issues we would have to tackle. So far we've managed somewhat, but often the results have been piss-poor. It's like a miracle that we still somehow exist as we do now. Besides Asimov, Dick and Herbert and Tolkien I have to wonder if such fantasy and scifi writers are geniuses because they can come up with such complex topics and massive worlds. The blonde woman in the thumbnail is a Finnish actress called Laura Birn, she's playing the assistant to the emperor, in the series she's a robot.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th May 2023)

Thanks
    Yes, it is the upcoming second season. I started watching the first season, I probably left the series somewhere midseason and it seemed promising, I just have my very slow way of watching any series these days and I might lose my interest fast. I also lost my free subscription for now. They've spent big bucks on it as you can witness by just seeing all the grand visuals and world-building. It's quite amazing at least in the beginning, but my God are those Emperor-rulers annoying, ruthless, narcissistic, psychopathic assholes. Kinda like some leaders we have now, just with more power. I wonder that if eventually humanity becomes a galatic empire we would have issues with leadership like that, I sure hope not. More like Galactic Democracy is something we should aspire to have. A social democracy.

Although I've not read Asimov's books nor Philip K. Dick's stuff yet (Blade Runner is based on his book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?), I've loved good scifi such as the original and new Blade Runner. Good scifi makes you wonder about the grander things and also about humanity and humans. How we have developed as species and how far we could go, but also what kind of issues we would have to tackle. So far we've managed somewhat, but often the results have been piss-poor. It's like a miracle that we still somehow exist as we do now. Besides Asimov, Dick and Herbert and Tolkien I have to wonder if such fantasy and scifi writers are geniuses because they can come up with such complex topics and massive worlds. The blonde woman in the thumbnail is a Finnish actress called Laura Birn, she's playing the assistant to the emperor, in the series she's a robot.
    I read a series awhile back that dealt with that very topic Wind. Galactic, even extra-galactic empires. Two of the most powerful individuals in the known universe married, one was mistreated young and grew up to the belief that a 'benign' emperor was the 'answer'. His wife, felt as you do and she surreptitiously worked against him. She loved him and of course, he felt betrayed. It was very entertaining reading.

Here's one I rented last night: "Knock at the Cabin". I didn't realize it when I grabbed it, but it was somewhat of a 'synchronous' find:

Self-preservation vs. Self-sacrifice AND the fate of the world depends on it:

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2023), Wind (14th May 2023)

Thanks
    Do you find Bautista becoming a better actor? He was in Dune, the new Blade Runner too and playing small side roles as the baddies.

He was first in wrestling and that's not something I've watched, but I've noticed his acting career progressing over the years.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2023), Emil El Zapato (14th May 2023)

Thanks
    Do you find Bautista becoming a better actor? He was in Dune, the new Blade Runner too and playing small side roles as the baddies.

He was first in wrestling and that's not something I've watched, but I've noticed his acting career progressing over the years.

I wouldn't want to judge his acting, but he is a likable 'character' and even as a bad guy they give him favorable roles. That is why I think his star is rising.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2023), Wind (14th May 2023)

Thanks
    A little overrated I think...I have to give it a lower grade for lack of originality. Also the makeup didn't work at all. It was used to simulate age/ageing. I still think his best is the 'Gangs of New York'

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2023), Wind (17th May 2023)