Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 243132333435363744 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie trailer thread

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Lord Sidious View Post
    Geez, I give you a one liner and come back to see a fuckin epic..............
    You're not the only member monitoring this thread, Sidinugget. I was merely giving an honest review — others have done that on this thread before, with regard to other stuff — in the hope that someone might find it interesting.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Wind (24th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    You're not the only member monitoring this thread, Sidinugget. I was merely giving an honest review — others have done that on this thread before, with regard to other stuff — in the hope that someone might find it interesting.
    Sounds legit..........
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th July 2022), Wind (24th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    This just started, not sure what to think of it. Maybe I'll eventually watch at least a few episodes.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLirO_Vq7Xo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd September 2022)

Thanks
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2022)

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd November 2022)

Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th November 2022)

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd November 2022)

Thanks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st December 2022), Lord Sidious (1st December 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    It has potential, but none will match Raiders.................
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st December 2022), Wind (2nd December 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Lord Sidious View Post
    It has potential, but none will match Raiders.................
    The original trilogy can't be surpassed, the first one will be always the best. The third one with Sean Connery ain't too bad either!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd December 2022), Lord Sidious (2nd December 2022)

Thanks
    The original trilogy can't be surpassed, the first one will be always the best.
    Most movie scripts are written for a single movie, but Hollywood has for decades already been bending the original scriptwriter's creativity by spawning originally completely unintended sequels in order to milk the cash cow dry. But after decades of exploiting sequels to the point that they became so far removed from the original stories that they even began contradicting those — or even worse, turning them into a travesty — Hollywood is now focusing on complete remakes of the originals and reboots of already long-running franchises, preferably with some metaphor for present-day sociopolitical situations and/or (usually subtle) propaganda woven in.

Reboots in particular offer much more credible ways of changing the original story without requiring any contradictory retcons as applied in sequels. Just think of the original "Battlestar Galactica" series from the 1970s, and how that was completely reimagined with an undeniable Anglo-Saxon (and primarily US American) slant as a metaphor for the western-military invasion of Iraq — with kind of an ambiguous approach as to who the bad guys were: the humans or the Cylons — or "Star Trek: Discovery", which rather heavily supports woke themes, such as its conspicuously above-average emphasis on LGBTQ+ characters and ditto actors.

In the original "Battlestar Galactica", there was indeed a hint that human life on Earth had spawned from the same ancestors as the humans on board of Galactica, but Adama was Adama — it was not his last name, nor that of his son, and they did not have any first names, let alone Anglo-Saxon ones. Apollo was not the "call sign" — a typical Anglo-Saxon military custom — of Richard Hatch's character, but his (only) name, and his father was Adama (played by Lorne Greene), period. And Starbuck was a guy (played by Dirk Benedict).

And as for the topic of sexuality and gender roles in the "Star Trek" franchise, Gene Roddenberry had envisioned such themes to appear in the series as a natural evolution of the numerous encounters with other species and cultures, not as a mandatory inclusion of LGTBQ+ characters and themes in every "Star Trek" series — it's not even limited to "Star Trek: Discovery" anymore, because when "Star Trek: Picard" was still in pre-production and Seven of Nine (played by Jeri Ryan) was announced to appear in the series, the LGBTQ+ community lobbied with Paramount to make Seven a lesbian, even though the character had always clearly been portrayed as heterosexual in her earlier appearances.

In a way, one could posit that Seven has in the meantime since her appearance on "Star Trek Voyager" rediscovered herself — she had after all been assimilated by the Borg and was still a Borg drone when the Voyager crew took her in, and she clearly did have difficulty re-adapting to being human after she was "reclaimed" from the Borg Collective. So in a way, it seems somewhat plausible that after 20+ Earth years of rediscovering herself as the human being Annika Hansen, Seven turned out to be a lesbian — or at the very least bisexual — by the time frame in which "Star Trek: Picard" is set. That said, Jeri Ryan does play the role convincingly, and the dialogues between Seven and Raffi Musiker (played by Michelle Hurd), her love interest in "ST:PIC", are very entertaining, not to mention that the two of them also work well together in literally kicking some bad people's asses.

But "Star Trek: Discovery" is really pushing it there, and especially if you consider the contrast with the original series, which was set ten years further into the future and did not even address any such themes yet, let alone that it would be considered perfectly normal that the bridge crew of just about every Starfleet ship would feature LGBTQ+ characters by that time. And even though the themes of sexual orientation and gender identity were indeed briefly addressed a couple of times in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and a couple more times in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" later, it was all still done within the spirit of Gene Roddenberry's vision of a natural evolution toward the exploration of the themes themselves, not as an ostensible lobby maneuver.

According to what I've read, Hollywood would also currently be working on a remake of the original "Highlander" movie from 1986 — a movie that itself spawned four sequels (of which the first one was such an abomination storywise that it was never referenced again in the followups), two live-action TV series and an animated series — although the corona pandemic may have thwarted those plans. The only actor I recognize from the purported cast of the reboot is Tom Cruise, who is supposedly scheduled to be playing the role of Ramirez. Well, Tom Cruise is a good actor, but I doubt whether he'll be able to make us forget the late Sean Connery.

But then again, millennials probably don't even know who Sean Connery was — they may not even know who Tom Cruise is, unless they've watched "Top Gun: Maverick", another Hollywood piece of American-Exceptionalist propaganda — so maybe that bucket under the cash cow may get yet another fill after all. I'm not going to be holding my breath, though.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Wind (2nd December 2022)

Thanks
    Most movie scripts are written for a single movie, but Hollywood has for decades already been bending the original scriptwriter's creativity by spawning originally completely unintended sequels in order to milk the cash cow dry. But after decades of exploiting sequels to the point that they became so far removed from the original stories that they even began contradicting those — or even worse, turning them into a travesty — Hollywood is now focusing on complete remakes of the originals and reboots of already long-running franchises, preferably with some metaphor for present-day sociopolitical situations and/or (usually subtle) propaganda woven in.
    Just like happened with Star Wars too after Disney bought the brand. The new films in the beginning seemed like a lukewarm rehash and in the end turned out to be a dumpster fire, with some added woke ideology there and blandly written characters. Now there are a billion Star Wars-spinoff series too. Even as a great fan of the series I haven't bothered to check out most of them. I hear some are quite good though and others not so much. I have to admit that the last or "first" episodes George Lucas directed in the early 2000's weren't very good either, in fact many people hated them. Lucas is a visionary and a great worldbuilder, but he writes dialogue like a fourth grader at best. The movies were just boring and uninspiring unlike the original Star Wars trilogy where Lucas had to work with other artists who had debates with him and he didn't have all the control over the movies. Lots of compromised had to be made, also there had to be lots of ingenuity because they simply didn't have the proper technology at the time to make certain things so they literally had to invent them. The end result was something unforgettable.

Yet George being the perfectionist that he is and unhappy with the art and entertainment he was able to make with the technology of late 70's and early 80's, he has revamped the movies time after time to the dismay of the fans. I suppose he just couldn't help himself. Then a bit later on he went to write the Indiana Jones movies for Steven Spielberg as they were best buddies. Although George certainly was interested in cinema and mythology, he said that he never was that much into film-making. He was just originally interested in fast cars and women, later technology too. Now Steven Spielberg isn't even directing the newest Indy nor has Lucas written it. I still hope it turns out good.

Spielberg was always a figure who changed Hollywood with his film-making, like it or not. Personally I think he has directed some of the best movies ever, but of course has had hits and misses too. His career hasn't been that memorable during the past 10 years anymore, but maybe he has just been slowing down with age.

Another maverick that comes to my mind is James Cameron who has directed the Avatar movies, Terminators and Aliens. He started directing Terminator as a very low budget movie and made a very unforgettable movie, the sequel was fantastic too and I suppose at the time the effects were astounding. It still looks pretty good and is a good action movie. Of course after him the series has basically turned into a dumpsterfire too.

He started to develop the 3D cameras for Avatar. Some people criticized Avatar for just being a space Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves in space, but even if there were similarities, the movie was still inspiring and had it's own original ideas. Like Spielberg, Cameron has certainly always been a blockbuster director, but both of them have had very humanistic and warm-hearted elements in their movies. That's besides them being fun and full of action, that's why I think they've been so captivating. If only there were more original directors instead of all the sequels and endless superhero movies that Hollywood makes these days, but then again they sell. That's what matters to the studios, big bucks. Not so much the art, it's all about the money. It just corrupts it all and things become more soulless or robotic.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxl3IoHKQ8c

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXXmyd3WGbY
    Last edited by Wind, 4th March 2024 at 22:08.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd December 2022)

Thanks
    "Star Trek: Picard"
    Did you notice this? You should be happy to know that the final season will roll out in mid-February.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2V1cSVj-w

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Did you notice this? You should be happy to know that the final season will roll out in mid-February.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2V1cSVj-w
    No, I had not seen this trailer yet — so thank you — even though I have recently tried to gather information on the potential story line of the third season, and as such, I had already puzzled together that Lore would be in it, as well as Professor Moriarty.

It does look very promising again, indeed, and I have no doubt that it will be every bit as good as the first two seasons were.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Wind (3rd December 2022)

Thanks
    No, I had not seen this trailer yet — so thank you — even though I have recently tried to gather information on the potential story line of the third season, and as such, I had already puzzled together that Lore would be in it, as well as Professor Moriarty.

It does look very promising again, indeed, and I have no doubt that it will be every bit as good as the first two seasons were.
    I happened to notice this article, it does reveal some things about what is to come.

Star Trek: Picard Season 3 Is Much More Than a Next Generation Reunion

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post: