Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie trailer thread

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I've been enjoying various short films on DUST about AI and robots. There's certainly a theme of malfunction and unintended consequences. Robots killing people is common. People wanting robots as companions and more is common.

People finding out they're really robots is always interesting.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd May 2021), Elen (4th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (3rd May 2021), Wind (3rd May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 7,284 Posts
    This seems like a creepy and interesting one, it also covers a real and a serious issue (domestic abuse).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO_FJdiY9dA

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    This seems like a creepy and interesting one, it also covers a real and a serious issue (domestic abuse).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO_FJdiY9dA
    Yeah, I watched it awhile back ... it was good, far from the best of the year so far, though. That probably means it will win next's year's Best Movie Oscar.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th May 2021), Dreamtimer (15th May 2021), Wind (6th May 2021)

Thanks
    Not sure if I've ever fully seen this movie, but this is a classic scene. Real funny, but it's quite cold too.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNYNDzKpuQ

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th May 2021), Dreamtimer (15th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th May 2021)

Thanks
    Not sure if I've ever fully seen this movie, but this is a classic scene. Real funny, but it's quite cold too.
    Yeah, I've seen parts of it, too ... pretty funny ... classic Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 11th May 2021 at 01:17. Reason: fixed your quoting

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th May 2021), Dreamtimer (15th May 2021), Elen (11th May 2021), Wind (11th May 2021)

Thanks
    Watched this last night, 1st time I've watched a 'Kung Fu' movie in quite awhile, I don't follow the series: Plenty Brutal.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2021), Dreamtimer (15th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Wind (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Now that was a big game hit in the 90's due to it's brutality and gore, boys sure liked things like that.

There was an earlier movie too and was god-awful from what I hear.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2021), Dreamtimer (15th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Now that was a big game hit in the 90's due to it's brutality, boys sure liked things like that.

There was an earlier movie too and was god-awful from what I hear.
    It starred Christopher Lambert I think ... his legacy from the other series ... Only one can live or something like that.
    Last edited by Wind, 15th May 2021 at 12:27.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2021), Dreamtimer (15th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Wind (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Highlander. There can be only one.

I never saw or played Mortal Kombat. I did like Diablo and Diablo II. I played many hours of that.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th May 2021), Wind (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    It starred Christopher Lambert I think ... his legacy from the other series ... Only one can live or something like that.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I never saw or played Mortal Kombat. I did like Diablo and Diablo II. I played many hours of that.
    Yeah, I doubt women would like them so much, I guess fighting games were more for boys. However you liking Diablo makes you cool in my books. Diablo II especially is a classic and they're going to release a remaster of that game this year, all the memories might resurface. It was a really good and creepy game, but I never made it very far, let alone far enough to beat the ultimate bad guy himself.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2021), Dreamtimer (15th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021)

Thanks
    That is soooooo creepy. That laugh in compilation is quite disturbing.

I became a hero at the highest levels in Diablo II. But the hell level was nearly impossible. I got pretty far but I think I ran into a glitch. One dungeon would never stop producing monsters. I was stuck in a loop.

I've played some Torchlight II. It's very like Diablo but with different graphics. I like the expert level.

I never play online. I only ever play solo. I'm a loner in the virtual realm.

My son had Diablo III on his laptop. I watched him play. It's gorgeous.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Wind (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    That is soooooo creepy. That laugh in compilation is quite disturbing.
    I can easily do those ... the last won would take a little effort though ...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That last one sounded the most gleeful.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th May 2021), Wind (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    See only scenes from this one, need to watch it fully one of these days.

Apocalypse Now - Themes

The Hypocrisy of Western Imperialism

Apocalypse Now continually spotlights the ironies that accompanied the Vietnam War in particular and western imperialism in general. The film is not overtly antiwar, but it takes pains to reveal the atrocities of a war fought by the United States in the name of democracy and freedom. In the air strike, sampan, and bridge scenes, Coppola clearly depicts the death and destruction that result directly from U.S. involvement. Instead of helping innocent civilians, American troops kill them. They are strangers in a strange land, yet they act as if they own it, staking out territory and firing without provocation.

The film characterizes Willard’s mission as the epitome of hypocrisy: in the midst of scores of senseless killings, the U.S. military is wasting energy and lives on killing one of its highest-ranking military officials. While Kurtz may well have gone insane, it's not clear why killing him is a priority when U.S. troops and Vietnamese civilians are dying. Moreover, since the military seems to encourage assassination in war, as evidenced by Willard’s assignment, we may question why Kurtz is demonized for killing two people who may have been working against the United States. Willard points out a number of other hypocrisies in his narration. For instance, after killing the Vietnamese peasant in the sampan, he reflects, “We’d cut them in half with a machine gun and give them a Band-Aid. It was a lie.” When Willard kills the woman, the others’ perception of him changes, yet Clean is not criticized for shooting preemptively and killing an entire family—because he was following protocol.

Madness As a Result of War

The film is a metaphor for a journey into the self and shows how the self, in the face of war, darkens beyond recognition. As they move upriver, Willard and the PBR crew become more agitated and separated from reality. Each experiences his own kind of mental breakdown. Chef enters the jungle, has a run-in with a tiger, and is no longer the same—his temper becomes shorter, and he withdraws further into drugs. Lance turns to drugs too, but he also camouflages his face, signaling a changed self . When Clean is killed, Chief breaks down emotionally and becomes a changed man. Willard, already broken from his first tour in Vietnam, becomes obsessed with his target. What originally is a mysterious, exciting voyage morphs into a descent into hell, and the characters respond by hardening themselves, withdrawing, and transforming. The cinematography reflects their impending madness by cloaking the journey in darkness and fog, creating an increasingly hallucinatory atmosphere.

The Emptiness of American Values

While the Vietnamese are fighting for their homes, American troops are fighting to go home—and home, to them, is a combination of surfing, Playboy Playmates, and psychedelic rock. These values are what the soldiers in Apocalypse Now live for, and Willard often reflects upon their emptiness and absurdity. Kilgore’s introductory scene also features a team of American journalists ridiculously filming the soldiers and telling them not to look at the camera. The film crew essentially converts the war into popular entertainment, much as actual footage of Vietnam once dominated the airwaves, exacerbating the antiwar movement. After a senseless air strike, Kilgore orders his men to surf or fight. The priorities of the American officers seem confused, to say the least.

Perhaps the biggest absurdity appears when Willard and the PBR crew happen upon a military supply post where a USO show is about to take place. In showing the Playmates in Vietnam, the film highlights the contrasts between American and Vietnamese values. Frenzied U.S. soldiers drool over the women they can’t have while Vietnamese villagers eat rice calmly. Willard reflects on the contrast: “[Charlie’s] idea of great R and R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death or victory.” Meanwhile, as he speaks, American soldiers continue hooting loutishly.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l-ViOOFH-s

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztWlsHcivk

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM
    Last edited by Wind, 19th February 2022 at 01:30.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th May 2021)

Thanks
    See only scenes from this one, need to watch it fully one of these days.
    I went to watch this movie with a couple of friends ... I loved it, it was mesmerizing to me. One of the friends wasn't impressed, in fact didn't even like it. He wasn't in to much anything beyond partying but he was exceptionally good at that. One of his cousins actually suffered from PTSD after serving as a combat soldier there.

One of the best scenes of many really good ones is when a helicopter brings in some dancing girls. The girls are performing 'Mustang Sally' and the soldiers go wild, storm the stage, the performing troupe flees and while they are flying away, there are soldiers hanging from the helicopter and everyplace else. If you watch that scene you'll know why.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)