Thread: The Great Irish Famine - documentary (1996)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts

The Great Irish Famine - documentary (1996)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DK-GoVkRjw

"Feb 22, 2020 by Vintage Broadcasting System

Ireland's Great Famine of 1845-1849 was a catastrophic tragedy that has embedded itself in the island's consciousness. The result of both nature and ruling policies, the famine decimated the island's population changing the course of Irish history. The famine also has an impact on world history by sparking a wave of mass migration that spread Irish culture abroad, particularly to the United States. This documentary aired on the A&E cable channel in 1996. A small portion is missing at the 1:12:58 point (it is marked by a program ID) but the documentary and its information are basically intact and it is well worth watching."

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th August 2020), Christian (26th August 2020), Elen (25th August 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th August 2020), Wind (24th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    really interesting ... I'm remembering why I've always been fascinated by history. At the same time, it makes me wonder how any descendant could not have a soul level sense of empathy and compassion.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th August 2020), Elen (25th August 2020), Kathy (24th August 2020), Wind (25th August 2020)

Thanks
    The below situation also had an impact on America. What is interesting about this is that many Irish draft dodgers left Ireland for America during this period. Another thing studiously ignored by such as Lou Dobbs and Patrick Buchanan. Those two are sick humans and fit very well in the American right wing.

Acts of Union

Ireland opened the 19th century still reeling from the after-effects of the Irish Rebellion of 1798. Prisoners were still being deported to Australia and sporadic violence continued in County Wicklow. There was another abortive rebellion led by Robert Emmet in 1803. The Acts of Union, which constitutionally made Ireland part of the British state, can largely be seen as an attempt to redress some of the grievances behind the 1798 rising and to prevent it from destabilising Britain or providing a base for foreign invasion.

In 1800 the Irish Parliament and the Parliament of Great Britain each passed an Act of Union which, from 1 January 1801, abolished the Irish legislature and merged the Kingdom of Ireland and the Kingdom of Great Britain to create the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

After one failed attempt, the passage of the act in the Irish parliament was finally achieved, albeit, as with the 1707 Acts of Union that united Scotland and England, with the mass bribery of members of both houses, who were awarded British peerages and other "encouragements".

In this period, the administration of Ireland consisted of authorities appointed by the central British government. These were the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, who represented the King, and the Chief Secretary for Ireland appointed by the British Prime Minister. Almost equally important was the Under Secretary for Ireland, who headed up the civil service in Ireland.

As the century went on, the British Parliament took over from the monarch as the executive as well as legislative branch of government. For this reason, in Ireland, the Chief Secretary became more important than the Lord Lieutenant, who became of more symbolic than real importance. After the abolition of the Irish Parliament, Irish Members of Parliament were elected to the House of Commons of the United Kingdom in Westminster.

The British Administration in Ireland – known by metonymy as "Dublin Castle" – remained largely dominated by the Anglo-Irish establishment until its removal from Dublin in 1922.

Putrefying vegetation: seems truly unnatural to me.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 25th August 2020 at 12:54.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th August 2020), Elen (26th August 2020), Kathy (25th August 2020), Wind (25th August 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I think it was before the run up to the actual Famine, permission was granted by the Pope of the day to England to behave in the way that it did, committing inhumane atrocities upon the Irish peoples, despite the fervent loyalty of the Irish people to that Pope who showed no honour or respect.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th August 2020), Elen (26th August 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    Praedecessores nostros was a papal encyclical written by Pope Pius IX on March 25, 1847, to address the crisis of the Great Irish Famine that occurred approximately between 1845 and 1850. This event is known by many as the 19th century’s greatest natural disaster. Pope Pius IX was born Giovanni Maria Mastai-Ferretti on May 13, 1792, in Senigallia, Italy. He studied at the College of Volterra in Tuscany and was ordained as a priest in 1819. Throughout the span of his life, Pope Pius IX served as the director of the Roman hospice of San Michele, Bishop of Imola, and Archbishop of Spoleto. He was made a Cardinal in 1840 and elected Pope in 1846. Several important events that occurred during the papacy of Pius IX are the unification of Italy, the First Vatican Council, the defining of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, and 38 papal encyclicals. Praedecessores nostros is one of the more significant papal decrees of the time because it addresses one of the most well known events in history. The Great Irish Famine was caused by the mysterious fungus, Phytophthora infestans. The fact that the potato was the staple food of over half the population of Ireland caused approximately one million people to die as a consequence.

Praedecessores nostros discussed several major points that involve the various factors that address the Great Irish Famine. The first point made by Pope Pius IX in the encyclical is the importance of recognizing the legacies of papal predecessors and their assistance of Christian nations in the past. He then reflected on an earlier appeal to the Roman people and clergy for prayerful consideration of the plight of the Irish. He also reflected on the request he made for money to be collected in Rome to be sent to the archbishops of Ireland so that it may be distributed amongst the poor and needy. Pius IX continued by saying that the crisis was not yet over and that the Vatican was still receiving letters daily telling that the famine has worsened and more aid is necessary. This led to the main reason for the encyclical, a request from the clergy for greater assistance. Pope Pius IX asked every diocese and district to proclaim three days of public prayer in churches and other holy sites. The specific purpose of this prayer was to request that God end the Great Irish Famine and prevent it from happening elsewhere in Europe. To encourage these prayers, an indulgence of seven years was to be granted to anyone present during the proceedings. Also, a plenary indulgence was to be bestowed on anyone who attended the entire three days of prayer and received the sacraments (Catholic Church) of penance and Holy Communion within a week of doing so. Pope Pius IX encouraged the people of the church to give alms because it was more important to look after Christ’s goods than those of man. In addition to the recommended public prayers for Ireland, he requested that the clergy ask their congregations to beseech God for the whole church against the evils that plague its existence. Pope Pius IX delivered his address of Praedecessores nostros in Rome at St. Mary Major Basilica on March 25, 1847.

- wiki -

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th August 2020), Elen (26th August 2020), Kathy (25th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    That was interesting NAP, but I kind of loved Pope Pius, so I got that wrong. There in fact were quite a few popes who messed with the Irish peoples' fate. One of them was Pope Gregory VII and he boasted that, “popes had the power to depose emperors”. He went on to say that “it was the duty of the pope to pull down the pride of kings”.

I had started to read about the history of Ireland and could not get past then first 2 pages because of what I read about the pope's disloyalty to the Irish people.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th August 2020), Elen (26th August 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    well Gregory might have had a point, but paupers are not Kings. One has to be careful about reading history regarding the Catholic Church ... it will turn Trumpish quickly. They were either in league with the evil one or the 3rd or 4th coming. The truth is usually in the middle, some truly are Godly like the current Pope Francis but I think he has been accused of being a communist sympathizer and enabler. Maybe, but I know I saw Trump's spiritual advisor on a broadcast and she had black eyes ... no iris. "I know what I saw!"

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th August 2020), Elen (26th August 2020), Kathy (26th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    well Gregory might have had a point, but paupers are not Kings. One has to be careful about reading history regarding the Catholic Church ... it will turn Trumpish quickly. They were either in league with the evil one or the 3rd or 4th coming. The truth is usually in the middle, some truly are Godly like the current Pope Francis but I think he has been accused of being a communist sympathizer and enabler.
    He has been accused of just about everything, including of being a baby-eating satanic pedophile. If you know where those accusations came from, then that says it all.

Maybe, but I know I saw Trump's spiritual advisor on a broadcast and she had black eyes ... no iris. "I know what I saw!"
    I know that it must be excruciatingly hard for you, but could you for once leave Trump out of this thread, please?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (26th August 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th August 2020), Kathy (26th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    Aragorn, the truth is, I wouldn't bring it into conversations if I didn't know that 'Trump' is the center of the conversation ... not me, understand ... it is the zeitgeist of the poster. Ask Kathy where Trump consciousness is in her own awareness. ???

Trump is the center point for the rightward. It feeds every thought and act.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 26th August 2020 at 11:37.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Kathy (26th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    Aragorn, the truth is, I wouldn't bring it into conversations if I didn't know that 'Trump' is the center of the conversation ... not me, understand ... it is the zeitgeist of the poster. Ask Kathy where Trump consciousness is in her own awareness. ???
    This thread is about a historic event in Ireland, not about the incumbent president of the United States of America. Please respect that. I don't want to have to ban you from the thread, but I will if you leave me no choice.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (26th August 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th August 2020), Fred Steeves (26th August 2020), Kathy (26th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    take your pills man ... i'm keeping this thread moving. I may be the only one that actually listened to that video in its entirety ... fascinating history and history continues to happen every day

Thanks
    take your pills man ...
    I beg your pardon???

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (26th August 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    lol, ok, ok, chill out man ... it is not a problem to keep the soulless one out of the convo ... chalk it up to the fact I can't think straight as I am currently ducking a hurricane.

Thanks
    lol, ok, ok, chill out man ... it is not a problem to keep the soulless one out of the convo ... chalk it up to the fact I can't think straight as I am currently ducking a hurricane.
    We've got a heavy storm raging over here too ─ not a hurricane, but quite a monster nevertheless. It's called Francis, it has just hit the UK, and now it's hitting us over here on the mainland.

Anyway...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (26th August 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    Gimme Shelter, mannnn ...

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th August 2020), Elen (26th August 2020), Wind (26th August 2020)