Thread: Scientists determine 'Oumuamua isn't made from molecular hydrogen ice after all

Thanks
    Thanked 48,690 Times in 10,221 Posts

Scientists determine 'Oumuamua isn't made from molecular hydrogen ice after all

The debate over the origins and molecular structure of 'Oumuamua continued today with an announcement in The Astrophysical Journal Letters that despite earlier promising claims, the interstellar object is not made of molecular hydrogen ice after all.

The earlier study, published by Seligman & Laughlin in 2020—after observations by the Spitzer Space Telescope set tight limits on the outgassing of carbon-based molecules—suggested that if 'Oumuamua were a hydrogen iceberg, then the pure hydrogen gas that gives it its rocket-like push would have escaped detection. But scientists at the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian (CfA) and the Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI) were curious whether a hydrogen-based object could actually have made the journey from interstellar space to our solar system.

"The proposal by Seligman and Laughlin appeared promising because it might explain the extreme elongated shape of 'Oumuamua as well as the non-gravitational acceleration. However, their theory is based on an assumption that H2 ice could form in dense molecular clouds. If this is true, H2 ice objects could be abundant in the universe, and thus would have far-reaching implications. H2 ice was also proposed to explain dark matter, a mystery of modern astrophysics," said Dr. Thiem Hoang, senior researcher in the theoretical astrophysics group at KASI and lead author on the paper. "We wanted to not only test the assumptions in the theory but also the dark matter proposition." Dr. Avi Loeb, Frank B. Baird Professor of Science at Harvard and co-author on the paper, added, "We were suspicious that hydrogen icebergs could not survive the journey—which is likely to take hundreds of millions of years—because they evaporate too quickly, and as to whether they could form in molecular clouds."

Traveling at a blistering speed of 196,000mph in 2017, 'Oumuamua was first classified as an asteroid, and when it later sped up, was found to have properties more akin to comets. But the 0.2km radius interstellar object didn't fit that category, either, and its point of origin has remained a mystery. Researchers focused on the giant molecular cloud (GMC) W51—one of the closest GMCs to Earth at just 17,000 light years away—as a potential point of origin for 'Oumuamua, but hypothesize that it simply could not have made the journey intact. "The most likely place to make hydrogen icebergs is in the densest environments of the interstellar medium. These are giant molecular clouds," said Loeb, confirming that these environments are both too far away and are not conducive to the development of hydrogen icebergs.

An accepted astrophysical origin for solid objects is growth by sticky collisions of dust, but in the case of a hydrogen iceberg, this theory could not hold together. "An accepted route to form a km-sized object is first to form grains of micron-size, then such grains grow by sticky collisions," said Hoang. "However, in regions with high gas density, collisional heating by gas collisions can rapidly sublimate the hydrogen mantle on the grains, preventing them from growing further."

Although the study explored destruction of H2 ice by multiple mechanisms including interstellar radiation, cosmic rays, and interstellar gas, sublimation due to heating by starlight has the most destructive effect, and according to Loeb, "Thermal sublimation by collisional heating in GMCs could destroy molecular hydrogen icebergs of 'Oumuamua-size before their escape into the interstellar medium." This conclusion precludes the theory that 'Oumuamua journeyed to our solar system from a GMC, and further precludes the proposition of primordial snowballs as dark matter. Evaporative cooling in these situations does not reduce the role of thermal sublimation by starlight in the destruction of H2 ice objects.

'Oumuamua first gained notoriety in 2017 when it was discovered screaming through space by observers at Haleakalā Observatory, and has since been the subject of ongoing studies. "This object is mysterious and difficult to understand because it exhibits peculiar properties we have never seen from comets and asteroids in our solar system," said Hoang.

While the nature of the interstellar traveler is currently an unsolved mystery, Loeb suggests it won't remain so for much longer, especially if it's not alone. "If 'Oumuamua is a member of a population of similar objects on random trajectories, then the Vera C. Rubin Observatory (VRO), which is scheduled to have its first light next year, should detect roughly one 'Oumuamua-like object per month. We will all wait with anticipation to see what it will find."

No one person can ever change the truth, but the truth, once learned, can and will change the person

You must be the change you wish to see in the world when you are through changing, you are through

theonetruth forum status theonetruth facebook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The One For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st August 2020), Dreamtimer (24th August 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (21st August 2020), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021), Wind (23rd August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    wow, cool.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st August 2020), Dreamtimer (1st September 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021), Wind (23rd August 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Loeb, head of astronomy at Harvard believes it is alien, a manufactured craft. This latest breakthrough lends credence to his argument.

From Atlantic Magazine:

“Very often scientists say, Let’s not communicate to the public; let’s talk among ourselves,” he said. “They build this ivory tower, don’t explain what they’re doing, and then they come out with a statement once they know the answer" Professor Loeb.

Loeb's other credentials

“It’s not just affiliation; it’s the fact that I’m chair of the astronomy department [at Harvard],” Loeb said. He rattled off a series of other legitimizing titles: director of the Institute for Theory and Computation; founding director of the Black Hole Initiative; chair of the Board on Physics and Astronomy of the National Academies; chair of the scientific committee for the Breakthrough Starshot Initiative."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...sicist/580948/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th August 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (21st August 2020), Wind (23rd August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Remote viewers from the Farsight institute said that it was an alien craft... I tend to believe them.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd August 2020), Dreamtimer (24th August 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (23rd August 2020), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Remote viewers from the Farsight institute said that it was an alien craft... I tend to believe them.
    Given their track record, I'm rather inclined not to.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th August 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (23rd August 2020), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021), Wind (23rd August 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Given their track record, I'm rather inclined not to.
    Which record might you refer to? I think they have had hits and misses.

Some of their remote viewers are really good.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd August 2020), Dreamtimer (24th August 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Which record might you refer to? I think they have had hits and misses.

Some of their remote viewers are really good.
    True, but they've also got a track record of seeing outlandish things where there aren't any. Bill (Ryan) thinks it's mainly Courtney Brown's influence and lack of proper coordination which would be responsible for that.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th August 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (23rd August 2020), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021), Wind (23rd August 2020)

Thanks
    Bill (Ryan) thinks it's mainly Courtney Brown's influence and lack of proper coordination which would be responsible for that.
    I think his biases and ideas about certain outcomes actually could tamper with the results and that's what not should happen.
    Remote viewers themselves should never try to interpret the data and jump to conclusions.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd August 2020), Dreamtimer (24th August 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (23rd August 2020), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021)

Thanks
    In one of Brown's books he talks about meeting Jesus. That's where I got off the train.

I am believer in remote viewing. My daughter and I played a game of remote viewing and after I realized I was scaring her I immediately stopped.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd August 2020), Dreamtimer (24th August 2020), Elen (23rd August 2020), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021), Wind (23rd August 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    In one of Brown's books he talks about meeting Jesus. That's where I got off the train.

I am believer in remote viewing. My daughter and I played a game of remote viewing and after I realized I was scaring her I immediately stopped.
    Remote-viewing in and of itself is very real. The problem in this case is Courtney Brown.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Avi Loeb, whom Kathy has posted about this year, spoke with Vice about Oumuamua.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th March 2021), Elen (16th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th March 2021), Kathy (15th March 2021), Octopus Garden (16th March 2021), Wind (16th March 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    And yay, sayeth the Lord unto him. Thou sayest thou doth not believeth in my son, yet thou watcheth the farting preacher video!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th March 2021), Dreamtimer (16th March 2021), Elen (16th March 2021), Wind (16th March 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Remote-viewing in and of itself is very real. The problem in this case is Courtney Brown.
    I liked his book, Cosmic Journey or Voyage. That was a few years back. It's too bad that writers, investigators start out fairly well but then proceed to get nuttier and nuttier, or more and more credulous over time. Or, it could be the demands of publishers to come up with whoppers. Or all of the above.

Remote viewing is super fascinating. Pat Price, who had been a cop was the best. He passed away quite some time ago. Some people think he was bumped off because, not only did he know too much, but he had the potential to know way way more than what he was tasked with.

It's one of those things. You want to be highly talented in that area, but not too talented! I can see the DOD want add now. "Wanted --remote viewer. Looking for those who are mediocre, not particularly great at what they do."

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th March 2021), Dreamtimer (16th March 2021), Elen (16th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th March 2021), Wind (16th March 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    And yay, sayeth the Lord unto him. Thou sayest thou doth not believeth in my son, yet thou watcheth the farting preacher video!
    LOL ... I love it, OG.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th March 2021), Dreamtimer (16th March 2021), Elen (17th March 2021), Wind (16th March 2021)