Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Death of Forums

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Hi guys,

I have been away for a while, just wasn't in the mood for foruming in general.

Also, I have a GF now, which means I have less free time on my hands.

Just wanted to note that Spiritual Forums has been down for weeks now, due to some sort of database error. I hope they will be able to recover it, I have made a pretty large contribution over there with over 1000 posts, some of them pretty lengthy essays that I haven't backed up anywhere...

I guess I have only myself to blame for that carelessness, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will be able to recover the forum data. Unfortunately, the folks running it don't have the technical expertise of our esteemed administrator over here, so they have been struggling with intermittent issues for a while now.

Eye-rise is still down as well, if I'm not mistaken... I guess us regular forum posters just don't appreciate the amount of work and expertise that goes into managing a forum from behind the scenes, until it is too late.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th October 2020), Aragorn (19th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (19th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th October 2020), Wind (19th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Hi guys,

I have been away for a while, just wasn't in the mood for foruming in general.
    Good to see you back, Chris.

Also, I have a GF now, which means I have less free time on my hands.
    Congratulations!

Just wanted to note that Spiritual Forums has been down for weeks now, due to some sort of database error. I hope they will be able to recover it, I have made a pretty large contribution over there with over 1000 posts, some of them pretty lengthy essays that I haven't backed up anywhere...

I guess I have only myself to blame for that carelessness, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will be able to recover the forum data. Unfortunately, the folks running it don't have the technical expertise of our esteemed administrator over here, so they have been struggling with intermittent issues for a while now.

Eye-rise is still down as well, if I'm not mistaken... I guess us regular forum posters just don't appreciate the amount of work and expertise that goes into managing a forum from behind the scenes, until it is too late.
    Yes, Eye-Rise is still down, because its hosting company sucks harder than a turbocharged vacuum cleaner. We're getting no support from them at all.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (19th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (19th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th October 2020), Wind (19th October 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Good to see you back, Chris.

Congratulations!
    Thanks!

You could say that I went from voluntary celibacy to voluntary incelibacy, involuntarily ...

It is all very complicated, might do a separate topic on it if I'm in the mood some day. Suffice to say, I went from living a solitary existence, then putting out the intention to find a partner out there and actually getting a long-term serious partner in the space of hours. The whole experience was incredibly weird for someone who didn't really want any of it, but I'm glad it happened.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (19th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th October 2020), Wind (19th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon

Welcome back, Chris. You were missed.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th October 2020), Chris (19th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (19th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th October 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon

Welcome back, Chris. You were missed.
    Thanks, I appreciate it and likewise

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (19th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th October 2020), Wind (19th October 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Congrats from me as well, Chris. Having a partner to share life with is a great thing, especially in these crazy times.

I'm so sorry to hear that the Spiritual forum is down. You're very correct about the work that goes on behind the scenes. Aragorn is the man. I do hope they can retrieve their files. It sucks to do the work to write well and have it lost. For both the writer and the reader.

I missed you as well, with your thoughtful posts and insightful points of view.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th October 2020), Chris (19th October 2020), Elen (19th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th October 2020), Wind (19th October 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Congrats from me as well, Chris. Having a partner to share life with is a great thing, especially in these crazy times.

I'm so sorry to hear that the Spiritual forum is down. You're very correct about the work that goes on behind the scenes. Aragorn is the man. I do hope they can retrieve their files. It sucks to do the work to write well and have it lost. For both the writer and the reader.

I missed you as well, with your thoughtful posts and insightful points of view.
    Thanks, I missed you too!

The whole lockdown business and the ongoing pandemic shenanigans changed my outlook somewhat.

I developed, if not a desire, then certainly an unmet need or longing to simply not be alone any more in these challenging times.

As for SF, I'm really not sure if they will be able to restore the site to its former glory, the technical side was always lacking and they barely managed to keep it running with the tools they had. Although it runs on the same forum engine as TOT and PA, it is a much older, seriously outdated version, which looks like it is from nineties.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th October 2020), Dreamtimer (19th October 2020), Elen (20th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (19th October 2020), Wind (19th October 2020)