Thread: Latest New York Times ufo Article:

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts

Latest New York Times ufo Article:

Here's the latest:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/u...reid-navy.html

Of course, they do all the usual hemming and hawing and ass covering. This is totally managed disclosure by the military--a way to keep their funding intact, instead of feeding the hungry and helping sick people, post election.

Not to say that those involved with disclosure aren't sincere and sincerely concerned but those at the apex of power have chosen the timing in accordance to their desires and "needs."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd July 2020), Dreamtimer (23rd July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Wind (23rd July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    I'm a true believer but one has to consider any and all information ... emphasis on info, not propaganda from stupid professional skeptics ... ... This video is 'loosely' connected. Incidentally, in the past I've posted that the F-16 true top end speed was classified but I was pretty certain that it was capable of Mach-3. Actually, after watching this video, I realized that I should have 'claimed' Mach-2. The reason it mattered was because I never could understand why the F-16 capable of 'classified' high speed took so long to get onto 'target' during 9/11.

“El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd July 2020), Dreamtimer (24th July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Wind (24th July 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    ...took so long...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (24th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th July 2020), Wind (24th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Incidentally, in the past I've posted that the F-16 true top end speed was classified but I was pretty certain that it was capable of Mach-3. Actually, after watching this video, I realized that I should have 'claimed' Mach-2.
    The F-16's top speed is most definitely not anywhere near Mach 3. It has only a single engine, of the exact same type as of which there are two in its bigger brother, the F-15 Eagle, which has a top speed of Mach 2.5. The F-16's own top speed sits just a smidgen below Mach 2.

Another thing to consider is that, as Mach speed increases, different demands are placed upon the design of the engine, and most notably in the airspeed of the engine intakes. Most jet airplanes ─ including fighter jets ─ actually have a so-called turbofan engine (or multiple such engines) and not, as most people would suspect, a turbojet engine.

A turbofan is not a pure jet engine. The center column of the intake air is fed into the combustion chamber by the compressor, but this compressor ─ the visible turbine at the front of jet airliner engines ─ also channels pure air around the actual jet engine, and straight out at the back again. So the turbine is in essence doubling as the jet's compressor and as a kind of ducted fan. This was most prominently noticeable in the Hawker Harrier Jump Jet, with its four movable engine nozzles. The two foremost nozzles only blew out the pure air from the turbofan, and the two rearmost ones only blew out the combusted jet exhaust, but the pressure from the two foremost nozzles was still enough to lift the front half of the plane into the air at the same rate as the two pure jet exhausts.

Jet planes designed to go as fast as Mach 3 and above will often have pure turbojet engines, whereby no air is being routed around the engine core anymore, but instead all of the air is being fed into the combustion chamber. And in order to avoid compressor stalls at such high speeds, those engines will then also often switch to ramjet operation. A compressor stall occurs when the air rushing into the engine from the front is traveling faster than the air pushed into the combustion chamber by the compressor, with as a result that the in-rushing air is actually slowing down the turbine and starving the jet engine of the air it needs for combustion.

A ramjet doesn't use the compressor turbine anymore ─ the turbine is effectively stopped and locked in place, often with its vanes wide open or with a movable cone in front of the turbine preventing the in-rushing air from touching the vanes. At that point, the speed of the airplane itself is then high enough to channel enough air into the combustion chamber, even though the airspeed of the air entering the chamber is then still subsonic, notwithstanding that the plane is flying at supersonic speed.

Taking things up a notch, when the plane is designed to travel at speeds of up to Mach 5 and beyond, things change even more drastically. Mach 5 is no longer referred to as supersonic, but as hypersonic, because at that point, all air passing over and through the airplane is moving at supersonic speeds. When a plane is said to fly at supersonic speed, then there are still parts of the fuselage where the air passes over the plane at subsonic or transonic ─ i.e. just on the cusp between subsonic and supersonic ─ speed.

Hypersonic planes therefore have an entirely different design. The stresses on the wings are such that they would easily break, and at the same time, the aerodynamic effects on the main fuselage are such that the fuselage itself, if designed properly according to the intended purpose, becomes the lifting body. As such, these planes have very short wings ─ so short in fact that they don't provide enough lift anymore to get the plane airborne by way of a takeoff from a standstill. Planes like that often need to be launched by dropping them from underneath another airplane at altitude.

A historic example of this was the North American X-15 rocket plane, which was intended to be able to operate just beyond the atmosphere, and which was launched by dropping it from underneath the wing of a modified B-52 bomber. The X-15 would then drop in free-fall for a few seconds, and then it would ignite its rocket motor, propelling it to above Mach 6 and allowing it to enter space. Once there, the pilot used maneuvering thrusters like on the Space Shuttle. Upon reentry, any remaining fuel in the tanks was dumped, and the plane would glide in. It then needed a special (and very long) runway in the desert for landing, and its rear wheels were jettisoned along with the bottom section of its cross-shaped tail, to make way for a pair of skis. It also needed an enormous braking parachute to slow down after it had touched down.

That all said, the X-15 was an experimental plane designed to briefly operate in space and then return to Earth. That's why it had a rocket motor. Today's hypersonic planes however use jet engines, but at that speed, even a ramjet won't do anymore, because the airspeed in the engine intake is supersonic. And this is then what is referred to as a scramjet ─ it's a ramjet with supersonic air intake. And because they generally don't become airborne by way of a regular takeoff, they generally also no longer have a turbine in their engines. Upon their airborne launch, the engines operate as ramjets, and once the plane goes hypersonic, the air intakes are adjusted so that the engines operate in scramjet mode.

The above information was brought to you by your resident geek.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th July 2020), Wind (24th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Since you guys seem to know far more about fighter jets than I do, what do you think about the F-35?

Currently Finland has in use 55 F/A-18 and seven F-18D hornets.
    Our government will next year decide to choose 64 new fighter jets which they plan to get here by 2030.

The candidates are: F/A-18, F-35, JAS Gripen, Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon.

The F-35's seem to be popular, but also they're insanely expensive.

Btw, USA currently has in "black" projects UFO-technology that we could hardly even fathom.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th July 2020), Dreamtimer (24th July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th July 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Since you guys seem to know far more about fighter jets than I do, what do you think about the F-35?
    It's a good plane, but way too expensive, and not quite as good as the F-22 Raptor, which the US government is unwilling to export. So they want us Europeans to be their NATO allies so we can help them fight their wars, but they want to keep the good stuff to themselves.

Things that make you go "hmm"...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th July 2020), Wind (24th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Typical American "governmental" mentality.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th July 2020), Dreamtimer (24th July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th July 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post

What surprises me about this video is that the guy only ever talks about the A-12 and the SR-71, but never even mentions that there was a third sibling to these two planes, namely the YF-12, which unlike the two others was not a spy plane. The YF-12 was a two-seater and it was armed with missiles, intended for taking out bombers and ballistic missiles at high altitude.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    It's a good plane, but way too expensive, and not quite as good as the F-22 Raptor, which the US government is unwilling to export. So they want us Europeans to be their NATO allies so we can help them fight their wars, but they want to keep the good stuff to themselves.

Things that make you go "hmm"...
    that I can attest is absolutely true ... I lived that one on the F-16, in fact, I couldn't even get clearance to work on the American version but I did work on the Taiwanese, Singapore, UAE versions (which ultimately never sold at least while I was there). My first project was on the Greek version a model for demo. They bought it, everyone was happy and I was given high praise. It was my 1st job out of grad school and it was the 1st and pretty much the last time I ever was appreciated for anything I did. But not enough to give me a higher clearance ... Things went south pretty quickly in particular after I got married, but I did get my daughter out of the deal ...

I passed on the F-22 which was/is a good craft. The F-35 went way over budget which is typical of government projects, not to mention how many get cancelled before they ever go into production.

Interesting the 'Y' doesn't ring a bell.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th July 2020), Dreamtimer (24th July 2020), Elen (25th July 2020), Wind (24th July 2020)