Page 1 of 112 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Humour thread

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts

Humour thread

I am starting a new thread, specifically focused on humour. We have a number of similar threads, but this one is going to be more British-oriented, with the occasional Aussie, Canadian or American thrown in. I will mostly focus on stand-up comics and well-known UK comedy shows, such as Mitchell and Webb, Monty Python, A bit of Fry and Laurie, etc... The Aim is to laugh at ourselves and our own silliness, which often stems from taking ourselves too seriously. Anybody who wishes to post their own Humour material is welcome to contribute. With so many depressing and serious events taking place on a daily basis, we need to let off some steam and learn a few things about ourselves at the same time.

I'll start off with some very entertaining and highly thought-provoking Mitchell and Webb sketches, which really hit home for me. Our gullibility, tribalism and tendency towards group-think can really be a bit of a pain sometimes, but it is also funny.

This one is about the silliness of homeopathy:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

This one is about football, but it applies to any sports fan that takes their identification with a dozen or so rich athletes he has never met a bit too far:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Since we were discussing the EU and Brexith with Aragorn today, this is Yes, Minister's take on why Britain joined the EU:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE

And finally, a parody of American patriotic pop songs in the mold of Bruce Springsteen, from Dr House himself:

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (6th October 2018), Dreamtimer (7th October 2018), Elen (7th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (6th October 2018), Kitsune (6th October 2018), Melidae (5th November 2018), Silly Wabbit (27th January 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Thanks. Haven't watched yet, maybe this evening. I'm always up for a good laugh. I usually catch some late night comedy the next day online.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (7th October 2018), Chris (7th October 2018), Elen (7th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th October 2018), Melidae (5th November 2018), Silly Wabbit (27th January 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Anyone who is into music will find this Father Ted episode particularly funny. Two dimwitted priests from Craggy Island enter the Eurovision song contest, with the worst song ever... My Lovely Horse.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (7th October 2018), Dreamtimer (8th October 2018), Elen (8th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th October 2018), Melidae (5th November 2018), Silly Wabbit (28th January 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Anyone who is into music will find this Father Ted episode particularly funny. Two dimwitted priests from Craggy Island enter the Eurovision song contest, with the worst song ever... My Lovely Horse.

ok, that's funny...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (7th October 2018), Chris (7th October 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (8th October 2018), Melidae (5th November 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    ok, that's funny...
    "
    It's not my favourite Father Ted episode, that would be "Kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse" (you don't want to know).

However, I showed this episode to a musician friend, who has never even heard of this show (a must if you are in any way connected to Ireland, or Catholicism for that matter) and he almost died laughing. I guess if you're a musician, you really appreciate the deliberate awfulness of the music and the lyrics...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (7th October 2018), Dreamtimer (9th November 2018), Elen (8th October 2018), Emil El Zapato (7th October 2018), Melidae (5th November 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    I love this Monty Python Sketch about bankers. It really catches the mentality prevalent in those circles beautifully.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8AbwDLCJqI

I think all men felt like they needed a manslater at some point in their lives. This would be so useful

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezVib_giTFo

Lastly, this is more sad, than funny, but the below clip from the Black Mirror series really captures the creepiness and dishonesty of social media and where it might lead us. China already has social media scores for each citizen on a trial basis, so this is already here...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    [...]

Lastly, this is more sad, than funny, but the below clip from the Black Mirror series really captures the creepiness and dishonesty of social media and where it might lead us. China already has social media scores for each citizen on a trial basis, so this is already here...

Well, there is something that I'm certain our members here won't be aware of, but the vBulletin software we use for running The One Truth actually supports something called "user reputation". It is a valuing system through which both the staff and the members alike can attribute a score to all members by adding or subtracting score points at set intervals — for instance, you would be able to either add or subtract a certain amount of points (with a preset maximum) to/from the reputation score of any particular other member once a year.

The vBulletin developers included this valuing system as part of the software because vBulletin has a very wide field of application, all the way from forums such as The One Truth, Eye-Rise, Project Avalon and Imaginative Worlds, all the way up to corporate (and often paid) support forums with tens or even hundreds of thousands of users.

Needless to say, we have not enabled the reputation functionality here. The user reputation field does exist in every member's account, but it's all set to the default value of "10" for each and every member from the moment they sign up for an account until the moment they are retired, banned or moved into the Deceased Members group.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Chris (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    Godlikeproductions has user reputation in active use. Members can add or subtract from others 'reputation points'.

Makes you wonder if people post for points or because they really have something to say whether people like it or not.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (5th November 2018), Chris (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Melidae View Post
    Godlikeproductions has user reputation in active use. Members can add or subtract from others 'reputation points'.

Makes you wonder if people post for points or because they really have something to say whether people like it or not.
    Well, one of the built-in systems in vBulletin is to convert the user reputation into credits, which can then later be monetized if so desired. I can understand that this system might be considered useful on paid corporate support forums, but for a forum within the alternative community, it's rather undesirable.

An additional consideration is that if the members' reputation score is visible to other members — never even mind to unregistered visitors — then this could end up being pretty humiliating for "unpopular" members, and especially so if only a subset of the member base would be partaking in the scoring. It's not unthinkable that the ability of members to affect the perceived reputation of other members would end up as a bullying tool.

The above in mind, I'm not surprised that a forum like Godlike Productions would be implementing this system.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Chris (5th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018), Melidae (6th November 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I'm not surprised that a forum like Godlike Productions would be implementing this system.
    Tavistock...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018)

Thanks
    Returning to the topic of the thread — albeit that it's not really British — there was an episode on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" called "Brothers", in which the android Data (played by Brent Spiner) suddenly falls back onto a hidden program and locks up the computer of the Enterprise by mimicking the voice of Captain Jean-Luc Picard (played by Patrick Stewart).

Now, for most television shows and movies in which such a voice effect is used on one of the characters — think for instance of the scene in "The Devil's Advocate" in which John Milton (the devil, played by Al Pacino) is throwing words spoken earlier by Kevin Lomax (Keanu Reeves) back at him while at the same time also duplicating his voice, just as if it had been a recording — this sort of thing is usually done by way of a voice-over from the actor whose voice is being mimicked.

Well... Not so on "Star Trek: The Next Generation", because that was Brent Spiner himself, doing his impression of Patrick Stewart's voice — which he loves doing at Comic Con meetings. Or at least, so long as Patrick Stewart himself isn't there on stage with him — he explains why in the first of the three videos below.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Chris (6th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018)

Retired Member England
    Thanks
    Best sketch of all time!

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OCohen75 For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th November 2018), Aragorn (6th November 2018), Chris (6th November 2018), Dreamtimer (6th November 2018), Elen (6th November 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Not a huge fan of the Ellen show in general, but the scaring guests part is pure genius. My stomach hurts every time I watch one of those scare compilations...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th November 2018), Dreamtimer (9th November 2018), Elen (10th November 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    My mother used to get so mad at us when we jumped out to scare her. It worked really well. But she made us stop.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th November 2018), Chris (9th November 2018), Elen (10th November 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    This is such a classic, but it never fails to make me laugh, no matter how many times I see it.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th November 2018), Elen (10th November 2018), Kitsune (12th November 2018)