Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peterson

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Jordan Peterson has lost his mind. He describes the climate crisis as propaganda perpetuated by those who want to impose a totalitarian state. Trudeau is merely an actor promoting a false crisis.

And though, this may seem kind of harmless it's actually a dangerous idea when its coming from someone who is angling more and more towards the hard right and 'Christianity.' He is preparing to run for office in Canada. He doesn't stand a chance, not this time around. But God help us, if he ever is in a position to do any real damage. He's from Alberta and is pro-Big Oil. I find his political stances, with regards large corporations, almost unfathomable.

He makes me wince.

Hi OG,

yeah, I've sensed that of him from my first exposure...I don't know what sends people off in that direction but a good guess I think would be a deficient personality, ego, money, etc. All the usual suspects.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th January 2022), Dreamtimer (27th January 2022), Octopus Garden (27th January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    Hi OG,

yeah, I've sensed that of him from my first exposure...I don't know what sends people off in that direction but a good guess I think would be a deficient personality, ego, money, etc. All the usual suspects.
    It's the curmudgeon syndrome. He was already conservative to begin with, and as he's growing older ─ in addition to more social turmoil taking place nowadays ─ he's also growing less tolerant, which therefore makes him become even more conservative.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (27th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th January 2022), Octopus Garden (27th January 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Jordan Peterson has lost his mind. He describes the climate crisis as propaganda perpetuated by those who want to impose a totalitarian state. Trudeau is merely an actor promoting a false crisis.

And though, this may seem kind of harmless it's actually a dangerous idea when its coming from someone who is angling more and more towards the hard right and 'Christianity.' He is preparing to run for office in Canada. He doesn't stand a chance, not this time around. But God help us, if he ever is in a position to do any real damage. He's from Alberta and is pro-Big Oil. I find his political stances, with regards large corporations, almost unfathomable.

He makes me wince.
    I agree with you and with Aragorn. Jordan told Joe Rogan years ago that he's making a living 'owning the libs'. It's now his job. He has no choice but to go off the deep end. That's all that remains.

I don't know about Canada, but here in the US, creating bogeyman is the name of the game with the right. Currently it's Seuss and Potato Head and Cancel Culture and Critical Race Theory and the evil, evil radical left wingers (which do not exist here), because they desperately need the bogeymen to keep pushing their agenda.

Jordan has fallen into that trap.

And yes, it is very dangerous. Climate change is going to do a number on us whether we believe in it or not. This dangerous sort of rhetoric leads to more unrest and more violence which then feeds the vicious cycle.

As a psychologist he knows this. And therefore there is no excuse.

He's become a terribly irresponsible human being, imo.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th January 2022), Octopus Garden (27th January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    So here we are again. Jordan Peterson doesn’t believe that climate change is the end of the world as we know it, so therefore he’s a dangerous and irresponsible human being.

And supposedly it’s only the Right that likes to create boogie men?

This is the classic either/or fame of mind: either he believes as we do, or he’s dangerous. One of “them”.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th January 2022), Dreamtimer (27th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th January 2022), Octopus Garden (27th January 2022), Wind (27th January 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    No Fred, it's his rhetoric which is dangerous. And Jordan should know better.

The left may like to create bogeymen, but they suck at it. We all know that the Dems simply can't play the Republican games. They don't have the skills.

Therefore they don't have the influence.

And they don't.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th January 2022), Octopus Garden (27th January 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    So here we are again. Jordan Peterson doesn’t believe that climate change is the end of the world as we know it, so therefore he’s a dangerous and irresponsible human being.
    Not for believing it, but if he's actively promoting that climate change isn't real, then as a public figure, he's co-responsible for the tenacity of the climate change denialists. He's not exactly a low-profile person.

In my personal opinion, no, most definitely not. They all do it, because it has already long stopped being about right and wrong.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th January 2022), Fred Steeves (27th January 2022), Octopus Garden (27th January 2022)

Thanks

This is the classic either/or fame of mind: either he believes as we do, or he’s dangerous. One of “them”.
    Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, the other possibility is that what he has presented throughout his fame trip is a manifestation of his true nature. That intrinsic nature makes him a bad person. I know you identify with that syndrome, so perhaps a little introspection could actually help make you better. Something to consider, hey?

I was thinking OGs post over night and it occurred to me that Peterson's above presentation was even out of character for him. I started thinking is it 'real'. Addictions are obviously challenges that can morph personalities and he has been through the dregs of it. One of the hallmark personality markers of addiction are the inability to see oneself as one actually is, and to never accept responsibility for what one has wrought. That sounds like Jordan Peterson to me.

Thanks
    Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, the other possibility is that what he has presented throughout his fame trip is a manifestation of his true nature. That intrinsic nature makes him a bad person. I know you identify with that syndrome, so perhaps a little introspection could actually help make you better. Something to consider, hey?
    Cut it out, BoB. That's the second time you're going ad hominem with Fred today.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th January 2022), Wind (27th January 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Cut it out, BoB. That's the second time you're going ad hominem with Fred today.
    Aragorn, honestly, I am a very straightforward person, if Fred stops playing with me, I will be happy to stop playing with him. Aragorn, you are the man around here, I know it and I have no recourse but to accept it, I could formulate a precise definition of ad hominem and twist it to my advantage but I won't because it would be pointless and counter-productive to my desire for straight honesty. Please inform Fred that I will not tolerate his twisted personality and dysregulated outbursts.

Thanks
    Aragorn, honestly, I am a very straightforward person, if Fred stops playing with me, I will be happy to stop playing with him. Aragorn, you are the man around here, I know it and I have no recourse but to accept it, I could formulate a precise definition of ad hominem and twist it to my advantage but I won't because it would be pointless and counter-productive to my desire for straight honesty. Please inform Fred that I will not tolerate his twisted personality and dysregulated outbursts.
    BoB, you're crossing the line. Stop throwing ad hominems at Fred (or anyone else here) or I'm going to have to ban you from this thread. I've already deleted another ad hominem of yours on another thread a few minutes ago.

If you don't like Fred, then add him to your ignore list, but stop insulting the man on open threads. I'm not kidding. I won't stand for it.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Christian (27th January 2022), Fred Steeves (27th January 2022), Wind (27th January 2022)

Thanks
    BoB, you're crossing the line. Stop throwing ad hominems at Fred (or anyone else here) or I'm going to have to ban you from this thread. I've already deleted another ad hominem of yours on another thread a few minutes ago.

If you don't like Fred, then add him to your ignore list, but stop insulting the man on open threads. I'm not kidding. I won't stand for it.
    That is the coward's way out in my estimation, that would just give him leave to carry on castigating my input. I understand your position, please ensure that Fred understands mine.

with due respect,

the BoBCat...

I should have mentioned that my character matters, too
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 27th January 2022 at 13:55.

Thanks
    I hate wasting space, in fact, I hate wasting anything, particularly a good jab. Incidentally, I love the metaphor, got that from my daddy who was the master of the mixed metaphor
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 27th January 2022 at 13:54.

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Not for believing it, but if he's actively promoting that climate change isn't real, then as a public figure, he's co-responsible for the tenacity of the climate change denialists. He's not exactly a low-profile person.
    I'm not sure what that video is about as I haven't watched it yet, but the thing about climate thing is that it is real, but man-made activity has very little to do with it. There is this global warming and garbon emission scam, when it fact it's mostly just a natural cycle. The science isn't "settled", there is enough data to see that there is more to this than just some human causes. Yes, we do pollute the Earth and have been destroying it, but that's another thing natural climate change.

When it comes to Jordan, I have noticed that lately he has become more upset. I don't know if I can really blame him as Canada seems to have gone nuts thanks to Trudeau. I am not a proponent of conservatism, Christianity or right wing thoughts for that matter though. At least earlier the critique and backlash Jordan received was completely unfair and out of touch with reality, but now he is more of the "angry man" type I suppose. It will be interesting to see the full development of his character arc.
    Last edited by Wind, 27th January 2022 at 15:42.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th January 2022), Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th January 2022), Fred Steeves (27th January 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I'm not sure what that video is about as I haven't watched it yet, but the thing about climate thing is that it is real, but man-made activity has very little to do with it. There is this global warming and garbon emission scam, when it fact it's mostly just a natural cycle. The science isn't "settled", there is enough data to see that there is more to this than just some human causes. Yes, we do pollute the Earth and have been destroying it, but that's another thing natural climate change.

When it comes to Jordan, I have noticed that lately he has become more upset. I don't know if I can really blame him as Canada seems to have gone nuts thanks to Trudeau. I am not a proponent of conservatism, Christianity or right wing thoughts for that matter though. At least earlier the critique and backlash Jordan received was completely unfair and out of touch with reality, but now he is more of the "angry man" type I suppose.
    the cause in my opinion Wind, is mostly irrelevant, the fact that it exists is plenty of reason to concerned about it and take whatever measures that are within our capacity to ameliorate it. From just you and me to the major corporate villains, to the mindless nations. It's been over 40 years that I started taking steps to shrink my energy use footprint, mostly because it is good for me.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th January 2022), Dreamtimer (28th January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    For what it's worth, I am as ecological as I can be, I don't trash and I try to recycle things. I hate seeing things going wasted.

I would hope that people woulds stop trashing and polluting the Earth.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th January 2022), Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th January 2022)