Thread: Miyamoto Musashi - The Invincible Samurai

Thanks
    Thanked 27,548 Times in 7,309 Posts

Miyamoto Musashi - The Invincible Samurai

"Miyamoto Musashi (宮本 武蔵, c. 1584 – June 13, 1645), also known as Shinmen Takezō, Miyamoto Bennosuke or, by his Buddhist name, Niten Dōraku, was an expert Japanese swordsman and rōnin. Musashi, as he was often simply known, became renowned through stories of his excellent swordsmanship in numerous duels, even from a very young age. He was the founder of the Hyōhō Niten Ichi-ryū or Niten-ryū style of swordsmanship and the author of The Book of Five Rings (五輪の書 Go Rin No Sho), a book on strategy, tactics, and philosophy that is still studied today."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaL6AZ-x2s

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtok_fCpauU

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUmQ1EjOpEM

"The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th July 2023), Aragorn (19th July 2023), Emil El Zapato (19th July 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    So yeah,

Probably different times back then, But in order to be safe as a Ronin it was tactically advantageous to him to murder a 13 year old kid. SO he wouldn't be able to grow up and take revenge.
    Oh and then there is the wonderful story of how he won a duel with a wooden sword.
    How much pain would you endure do you think getting killed with a wooden sword as opposed to a razor sharp blade?

The more I dove into Musashi's story the more trouble I had liking the man. Any admiration I did feel once went away.
    It's a remarkable story, but like most hero stories in different cultures around the globe...

yeah.
    Have a great day today

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (19th July 2023), Aragorn (19th July 2023), Emil El Zapato (19th July 2023), Wind (19th July 2023)

Thanks

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtibobLK56I

I think you'll enjoy this @wind.
    It talks about some of the essences of Japanese martial arts. Musashi makes an small appearance next to d'artagnan, which supposedly took place in the same era.

The aikido man explains it so well, that those with ears should understand why I stopped practicing aikido in lieu of living peacefully.
    It's about the premises of the art.
    A mindset of defense is still a dichotomous mindset.
    Have a great day today

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th July 2023), Emil El Zapato (20th July 2023), Wind (21st July 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Catsquotl View Post
    So yeah,

Probably different times back then, But in order to be safe as a Ronin it was tactically advantageous to him to murder a 13 year old kid. SO he wouldn't be able to grow up and take revenge.
    Oh and then there is the wonderful story of how he won a duel with a wooden sword.
    How much pain would you endure do you think getting killed with a wooden sword as opposed to a razor sharp blade?

The more I dove into Musashi's story the more trouble I had liking the man. Any admiration I did feel once went away.
    It's a remarkable story, but like most hero stories in different cultures around the globe...

yeah.
    I agree that the times were different then. Those people were going to ambush him so it wasn't very honorable of them though? Did the young boy deserve to die? That's a tough question. A duel is a duel though. It should be done honorably. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The samurai code of honor was quite strict.

Musashi wanted to perfect his craft and he surely did that, but being a warrior meant that his business was violence and killing. Was he a good man? I don't know, but he was legendary at what he did. I think only the people who were there at the time and the Allmighty could judge people for how they have been. We all will face what we've done eventually. Most of humanity's known history consists of violence and survival. Only in relatively recent times people have been able to think more about non-violence and totally peaceful means of living.

I think you'll enjoy this @wind.
    It talks about some of the essences of Japanese martial arts. Musashi makes an small appearance next to d'artagnan, which supposedly took place in the same era.

The aikido man explains it so well, that those with ears should understand why I stopped practicing aikido in lieu of living peacefully.
    It's about the premises of the art.
    A mindset of defense is still a dichotomous mindset.
    Thanks. I actually came across that channel some Moons ago when Youtube recommended it to me, some nice and funny stuff there too.

Like most people, I tend to be a paradoxical being with my philosophical stances. Ever since being a young boy I remember being fascinated by knights, samurais, warriors, soldiers, knives, swords, guns, revolvers and all. I find martial arts interesting and action movies too... I can enjoy watching fictional movies with a good conscience as I know that no one is actually getting hurt. Well, maybe sometimes actors and stuntment get bruises or have accidents though.

Yet at the same time I am a vehement advocate of non-violence, a pacifist if you will. I hate real life violence, it's just often ugly and brutal. Even if I would have had the chance to use violence against others, it's just not something I have wanted to do. Deep down I have felt that it is wrong, it goes against oneness. Ultimately when you hurt another being you are hurting yourself. That's why you (ought) to feel hurt too when you see other beings suffering. That being said, I do understand violence in the form of self-defence if nothing else works. Sometimes it's just the last choice. I'd rather cultivate peace in life than be in a defensive mindset. Peace is a choice, although not always the easiest one.
    Last edited by Wind, 22nd July 2023 at 22:59.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2023), Catsquotl (21st July 2023), Emil El Zapato (21st July 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Did the young boy deserve to die? That's a tough question. A duel is a duel though. It should be done honorably. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The samurai code of honor was quite strict.
    Ah I take it you haven't read the story. Musashi describes it himself. It was an assassination plain and simple. No Dual, No Honor except the one that comes from perfecting the art of strategy.
    Quote Originally posted by Wind
    That being said, I do understand violence in the form of self-defense if nothing else works. Sometimes it's just the last choice. I'd rather cultivate peace in life than be in a defensive mindset. Peace is a choice, although not always the easiest one.
    When reading the buddha story for instance he took self defense to a different level. Not that the tibetans understood mind you. Their idea of not killing was allowing "criminals" e.d. to get dozens of whip lashes and the let the cold do the killing afterwards.

I learned there's different sides to most heroic stories. Musashi became famous for a while and somehow his story took on a legendary status. Like Robin Hoods.

Quote Originally posted by chumbawamba
    Chant no more your old rhymes about bold Robin Hood
    His feats I but little admire
    I will sing the Atchievements of General Ludd
    Now the Hero of Nottinghamshire
    Brave Ludd was to measures of violence unused
    Till his sufferings became so severe
    That at last to defend his own Interest he rous'd
    And for the great work did prepare

Now by force unsubdued and by threats undismay'd
    Death itself can't his ardour repress
    The presence of Armies can't make him afraid
    Nor impede his career of success
    Whilst the news of his conquests is spread far and near
    How his Enemies take the alarm
    His courage his fortitude strikes them with fear
    For they dread his Omnipotent Arm!

The guilty may fear but no vengeance he aims
    At [the] honest man's life or Estate
    His wrath is entirely confined to wide frames
    And to those that old prices abate
    These Engines of mischief were sentenced to die
    By unanimous vote of the Trade
    And Ludd who can all opposition defy
    Was the grand Executioner made

And when in the work of destruction employed
    He himself to no method confines
    By fire and by water he gets them destroyed
    For the Elements aid his designs
    Whether guarded by Soldiers along the Highway
    Or closely secured in the room
    He shivers them up both by night and by day
    And nothing can soften their doom

He may censure great Ludd's disrespect for the Laws
    Who ne'er for a moment reflects
    That foul Imposition alone was the cause
    Which produced these unhappy effects
    Let the haughty no longer the humble oppress
    Then shall Ludd sheath his conquering Sword
    His grievances instantly meet with redress
    Then peace will be quickly restored

Let the wise and the great lend their aid and advice
    Nor e'er their assistance withdraw
    Till full fashioned work at the old fashioned price
    Is established by Custom and Law
    Then the Trade when this arduous contest is o'er
    Shall raise in full splendour its head
    And colting and cutting and squaring no more
    Shall deprive honest workmen of bread
    I'm no saint btw.
    But I do understand senseless violence and how to react to it. Never fun. Always messy. Never a winner.
    And sometimes I just can't let go.. (Hi Boids)
    Have a great day today

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2023), Wind (21st July 2023)

Thanks
    Ah I take it you haven't read the story. Musashi describes it himself. It was an assassination plain and simple. No Dual, No Honor except the one that comes from perfecting the art of strategy.
    Ah, I see. No, I haven't read his books or stories yet.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2023), Catsquotl (21st July 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,218 Times in 11,972 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I agree that the times were different then. Those people were going to ambush him so it wasn't very honorable of them though? Did the young boy deserve to die? That's a tough question. A duel is a duel though. It should be done honorably. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The samurai code of honor was quite strict.

Musashi wanted to perfect his craft and he surely did that, but being a warrior meant that his business was violence and killing. Was he a good man? I don't know, but he was legendary at what he did. I think only the people who were there at the time and the Allmighty could judge people for how they have been. We all will face what we've done eventually. Most of humanity's known history consists of violence and survival. Only in relatively recent times peace have been able to think more about non-violence and totally peaceful means of living.

Thanks. I actually came across that channel some Moons ago when Youtube recommended it to me, some nice and funny stuff there too.

Like most people, I tend to be a paradoxical being with my philosophical stances. Ever since being a young boy I remember being fascinated by knights, samurais, warriors, soldiers, knives, swords, guns, revolvers and all. I find martial arts interesting and action movies too... I can enjoy watching fictional movies with a good conscience as I know that no one is actually getting hurt. Well, maybe sometimes actors and stuntment get bruises or have accidents though.

Yet at the same time I am a vehement advocate of non-violence, a pacifist if you will. I hate real life violence, it's just often ugly and brutal. Even if I would have had the chance to use violence against others, it's just not something I have wanted to do. Deep down I have felt that it is wrong, it goes against oneness. Ultimately when you hurt another being you are hurting yourself. That's why you (ought) to feel hurt too when you see other beings suffering. That being said, I do understand violence in the form of self-defence if nothing else works. Sometimes it's just the last choice. I'd rather cultivate peace in life than be in a defensive mindset. Peace is a choice, although not always the easiest one.
    I agree Wind, violence is ugly and brutal and feels 'unnatural' to me anyway. I share your interests and have always had a bit of a fascination with those things.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2023), Catsquotl (21st July 2023), Wind (21st July 2023)