Thread: Brain Man: The Boy With The Incredible Brain (Superhuman Documentary)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts

Brain Man: The Boy With The Incredible Brain (Superhuman Documentary)

When I saw this documentary and how this man Daniel managed to speak Icelandic in 7 days, I was speechless. I do understand a little Icelandic because it is the "Old Norwegian" that I've also studied a little in my own time. Daniel was fantastic in it...in just 7 days. He is Autistic and a very high functioning one. Have a look at how the skills pan out with numbers and shapes and landscapes. Interesting.

He speaks nine languages. Daniel, the oldest of seven children, has been able to do amazing calculations after an epileptic fit when he was 3 years old. He was even able to remember over 22,000 numbers in a public display of his ability. But how does he do it? Leading scientists explore the extraordinary world of this real-life Rainman. Daniel’s psychological make-up is explored by Cambridge University autism expert Professor Simon Baron Cohen who delves into his childhood experiences in an effort to explain his remarkable abilities. In America Daniel meets other extraordinary people like himself, known as “savants” --- including Kim Peek, whose story was the basis of the movie “Rainman”. Brain scientists at the Salk Institute in San Diego, including Professor V S Ramachandra, are astounded at his skills and discover the key to Daniel’s ability is his visual imagery which his brain “sees” when he hears a number, this condition is known as synaesthesia. To show it’s not just numbers Daniel can remember -- he also learns one of the world’s hardest languages, Icelandic, in just one week --- and gets interviewed on Icelandic TV after only 7 days of learning to speak it.

47:24

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th March 2020), Aragorn (3rd March 2020), Dreamtimer (5th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th March 2020), Frances (3rd March 2020), Kathy (13th March 2020), Wind (3rd March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Looks very interesting , ta , bmarking.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2020), Dreamtimer (5th March 2020), Elen (5th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th March 2020), Kathy (13th March 2020)