Page 21 of 96 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223243171 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus with an R0 of 3 or beyond

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    thanks Aragorn,

I actually noticed her absence...her friend didn't succumb to covid-19 hopefully? But Scotland is good to know...i'm tracking the global situation...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2020), Chris (26th March 2020), Dreamtimer (26th March 2020), Wind (25th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    thanks Aragorn,

I actually noticed her absence...her friend didn't succumb to covid-19 hopefully?
    I have no idea. There hasn't been much communication.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (26th March 2020), Dreamtimer (26th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020), Wind (26th March 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Let's imagine Elen is just in isolation and not near an electronic device. Perhaps she is unable to access any communication devices at her location. Let's hope for that ....

Much Respect - Amanda

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2020), Chris (26th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020), Wind (26th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Amanda View Post
    Let's imagine Elen is just in isolation and not near an electronic device. Perhaps she is unable to access any communication devices at her location. Let's hope for that ....

Much Respect - Amanda
    Oh but she has been in contact, Amanda. I've spoken to her ─ briefly ─ via email, and Kathy has been in contact with her a little more extensively.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (26th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020), Wind (26th March 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Aragorn - excellent news!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2020), Chris (26th March 2020), Dreamtimer (26th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    US will soon bypass the amount of cases in Italy and it won't take too long before it's the same or worse than in China.

It's amazing how few cases there are in places like Japan.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2020), Chris (26th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    The changes that have already happened to our societies would have been unimaginable a month ago. Truly, we're living in one of those time where decades happen in a matter of weeks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9424786.html

Farewell Jeremy Corbyn, it’s your country now

The railways are nationalised, the planes are grounded, the government pays everyone’s wages. It took a Chinese bat to do it, but the Labour leader’s country as he imagined it is his for the taking

In a silent House of Commons in a post-apocalyptic world, with MPs cowering in their second homes hiding from a deathly plague, Jeremy Corbyn rose at the despatch box to give what would, this time, surely, be his final performance at Prime Minister’s Questions.

It would be wrong to say you couldn’t make it up. You could make it up very easily. If you did make it up you’d be rightly accused of lazy writing. The celestial parodists in charge of our little lives are frankly phoning it in. Maybe there’s some sort of pandemic up there and they’re all working from home.

Still, the silence was no more deafening than any of the other 150 or so occasions Corbyn has stood up at the start of PMQs. His MPs were staring down at their phones and iPads as per usual, it’s merely that this time they were doing it from the comfort of their own sofas.

Even in these rarefied times, Boris Johnson did his bit and thanked Mr Corbyn for his service. He praised Jeremy Corbyn for his “sincerity”. Not since a terminally ill Homer Simpson stood over Bart’s bed, searching for some final words for his son and coming up with “I like your sheets” can a compliment have been so excruciatingly hard to come by.

It was hardly the prime minister’s fault. Since Corbyn became leader of the Labour Party, humankind has made its confirmed observations of a super massive black hole and the Higgs boson. It is hoped, though not expected, that discovering one of Jeremy Corbyn’s actual achievements will be the next major breakthrough.

Corbyn thanked him, but told him it had sounded like an “obituary” for a man who wasn’t going anywhere, and would carry on “demanding justice for the people of the world”, for which we must assume the people of the world will carry on being very grateful indeed.

If the occasion had been meant to serve as Corbyn’s political funeral, at least no one will later find themselves having to claim they were present but not involved.

With less serious matters to attend to, it is nice to hope that more time would have been allocated to acknowledge the extraordinary depth and breadth of achievements of one of the true greats of British politics, and I am happy to do my small bit to make up that deficit here.

When Corbyn became leader of the Labour Party, people laughed. They carried on laughing for quite a while, until that laughter turned to agonised tears. Now they laugh again, mainly as a psychological coping strategy.

But all this is very unfair. The great man leaves a legacy the likes of which have never been seen. A proud Eurosceptic of four decades standing, whether Brexit would have happened without his contribution is a subject of such keen debate it is occasionally forgotten that his contribution was technically for the remain side.

People occasionally like to say that we live in Farage’s Britain, but if we ever did then it didn’t last long. This is Corbyn’s Britain. Open your front door, if you dare, and take a look around.

Richard Branson dared to cross him once, through having the temerity to point out that the “ram-packed” train on which he had sat on the floor filming a woe-is-me self-martyring video of himself, was in fact the same train in which polite staff found him a spare, unreserved seat then ushered him to it.

And now look. It’s not merely that the railways have been nationalised, the planes have been grounded too, and poor Dicky B is tapping up the government for a bailout. Don’t mess with Magic Grandpa.

Corbyn may never have entered government, but the government is nonetheless still investigating innovative digital ways in which it might fine us if we leave our houses without permission, turning a once conspicuously consuming society into a digital panopticon. Not even in his most dystopian fantasies did George Orwell ever dare to dream so big.

The supermarket shelves are empty, the investment banks have sent everyone home, the state has taken over the private sector and is paying everybody’s wages and the only people who aren’t going to get sacked at the end of it all are the ones who work for the NHS.

At the time of writing, even the future of the monarchy is looking precarious. There could soon be no national anthem for any of us not to sing.

Of course, the churlish among you may cling to the notion that all this has in fact been achieved not through Corbyn’s very long years of very well-paid and entirely ineffective public service, but by a bat who bit a pangolin then crapped on the floor of a Chinese market.

But as the sign on Ronald Reagan’s White House desk said, “There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he does not mind who gets the credit.”

There’s no point denying it. It’s Corbyn’s Britain now, we’re all just climbing up our bedroom walls, praying that it won’t last long.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2020), Dreamtimer (26th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020), Wind (27th March 2020)

Thanks
    jeez, talk about melancholia...new word for me panopticon...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2020), Chris (26th March 2020), Dreamtimer (26th March 2020), Wind (27th March 2020)

Thanks
    U.S. death rate is currently 1.45%. I think the deaths are coming faster than the tests...My ex visited her doctor yesterday and didn't get tested because it wasn't critical...they gave her antibiotics and sent her home...I'm a bit confused about that (she doesn't normally make any sense, but) Antibiotics for a virus? They didn't even test her for normal flu as far as I know. My daughter was planning on going to stay with her mom for a few days out of sheer boredom. I told her mom it wasn't a good idea because if either one of them is infected it would spread (her mom, naturally just didn't get it, suggested that she didn't want our daughter to feel alone). I suggested that it might not be worth the risk. My ex is not in the high risk age group but she has nearly every health malady know to man despite it being very difficult to determine what of those are real and which are imaginary.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2020), Chris (26th March 2020), Dreamtimer (26th March 2020), Wind (27th March 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    U.S. death rate is currently 1.45%. I think the deaths are coming faster than the tests...My ex visited her doctor yesterday and didn't get tested because it wasn't critical...they gave her antibiotics and sent her home...I'm a bit confused about that (she doesn't normally make any sense, but) Antibiotics for a virus? They didn't even test her for normal flu as far as I know. My daughter was planning on going to stay with her mom for a few days out of sheer boredom. I told her mom it wasn't a good idea because if either one of them is infected it would spread (her mom, naturally just didn't get it, suggested that she didn't want our daughter to feel alone). I suggested that it might not be worth the risk. My ex is not in the high risk age group but she has nearly every health malady know to man despite it being very difficult to determine what of those are real and which are imaginary.
    Antibiotics work for the normal flu (Influenza, not the common cold), because usually what happens is that the flu weakens the immune system and the defence mechanism of cells, so bacteria can attack them and cause a chest infection or pneumonia. In these cases antibiotics are very helpful. However, this isn't the case with coronaviruses, because they attack lung tissue directly and cause pneumonia that way, hence the reason they are so much more dangerous. Antibiotics are useless, if you have a coronavirus, such as Sars (both I and II), Mers or the Common Cold.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2020), Dreamtimer (26th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020), Wind (27th March 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    So true. I have a friend who gets antibiotics as soon as he gets a cold because he's very susceptible to the secondary infections such as bronchitis. I imagine he's laying very low right now.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020), Wind (27th March 2020)

Thanks
    Louisiana is now reporting food shortages...preppers are cheering in their caves...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2020), Wind (27th March 2020)

Thanks
    I wonder if it has been considered that regular flu could be an underlying condition? I wonder if virus testees are tested for regular flu...probably, huh?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2020)

Thanks
    oh brother, The US administration is asking for world cooperation regarding medical supplies. I wonder if China (that substandard sovereignty) asked for world help regarding their medical supplies? And if they did, what was the U.S. response? No gouging mandates?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2020), Wind (26th March 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    wonder what the current rad levels are.....hmm a new virus would provide a convenient scapegoat for symptoms of cumulative degenerative isotope poisoning
    just an observation

as a Gen-X'er we are now where?
    ....Gen-Z just coming online as viable human a-dolts
    takes 3 generations to inculcate a new paradigm in hue-man society.
    X, Y, Z
    ZNation
    Citizen Z.....Hmmm.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZShawn For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020), Wind (27th March 2020)