Page 68 of 96 FirstFirst ... 18586566676869707178 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1427

Thread: Coronavirus with an R0 of 3 or beyond

Thanks
    Thanked 43,164 Times in 11,946 Posts
    Here is some unbiased information regarding the Azov group:

You might notice that the American concerned voices come from the left:

This is exactly the concern of many about who is being trained by U.S. forces in Ukraine.

“You know, I know I’m about to speak speculatively here and I say that because I don’t know the entire process. But I do know that the State Department is very aware of the concerns that many news agencies and U.S. citizens have, that as [The Daily Beast’s] article says, we’re training neo-Nazis over here. I’ve seen them. I keep up on the news. I’m not saying that’s what we’re doing. I think what is really happening is the U.S. State Department is taking a serious look at these guys before allowing them to come here [to Lviv]. Again, that’s entirely speculative. But I think because concerns are so high, they’re being very careful.”

The captain continues describing what he has seen on the ground. “With most of the guys that I’ve seen here though, I haven’t seen anything extremist.” In order to convey the cultural diversity he has seen, he begins to name various sects of Christianity he has come across: “I’ve seen Roman Catholics; I’ve seen Mormon soldiers on the ground both U.S. and Ukrainian; I’ve seen Latter Day Saints; I just haven’t seen anything too crazy or anything you wouldn’t expect from any other military.”

When asked if there are any Jewish Ukrainian forces he replies, “You know that’s a fair question and one I can’t answer. I know on the U.S. side we’ve had Jewish soldiers here. I don’t know for the Ukrainians.”

Chief of the Office of Defense Cooperation for the United States Embassy in Ukraine, Col. Cynthia Matuskevich, also denies that U.S. forces are training anyone from the Azov Battalion. Col. Matuskevich says, “The [Ukrainian] National Guard has told us there are none and that they all went through the normal vetting process that we’re required to do by the State Department.”

When asked for specifics on the vetting process she says, “Essentially, in its nearest sense, it’s like background checks on individuals. I can’t really elaborate, but we check with various agencies including the consular section and they just kind of do background checks. I can’t personally say what happens in D.C. because I’ve never been on that end of the process but the State Department in D.C. is the ultimate clearer—if you want to call it that.”

When asked how the Leahy process weeds out Azov members, for instance those who have not committed “gross human rights violations” but identify themselves with the Nazis and even with the SS, Matuskevich explains, “Unfortunately I can’t comment anymore—I mean we have Leahy requirements and we ask for human rights vetting but I mean we don’t individually interview everyone and ask them what their individual philosophies are because we know people could lie. But we do our utmost to abide by the Leahy vetting and we work with partners that you know we trust and have told us that none of them are members of those organizations.”

As for the “partners” they work with, Matuskevich says that they work directly with the Ukrainian National Guard, “which coordinates all the trainees. They fall under the Ministry of Interior, so our political section at the embassy would be the ones who are dealing with them… The Ukrainian Government, and I guess it’s in the form of the Ministry [of Interior] are the ones that nominate the candidates for the training.”

When asked why the new House amendment would be necessary if the Leahy process was already in place, Ferentsevych said, “That’s a good question, you should ask the congressman.” So we did.

In an interview with The Daily Beast, Rep. John Conyers, Jr. (D-Mich.) said: “This is an important precautionary action. The Leahy Law takes the essential retroactive step of prohibiting assistance to units that are credibly alleged to have committed gross violations of human rights. The issue here concerns who is eligible for aid in the first place, and America must choose allies whose interests and ideas align with ours. Congress can—and should—provide additional guidance to the executive branch when candidates for U.S. security assistance are publicly associated with goals that conflict with our foreign policy.”

Ferentsevych would seem to corroborate the need for the amendment, in effect, when she says, “If these guys have violated human rights, then you would think that you would know. But human rights and ideology are two different things. It’s kind of like hate speech, people talk trash, it’s one thing, but if they do something about it, oh my God…”

When asked whether the Leahy process would screen out people with Nazi tattoos, she responds, “I have no idea… I don’t know. Is it on their neck where all the world can see it? Or is it on their bum, where nobody can see it? I don’t know. I’m not a legal expert.”

Jack Harris, the Official Opposition Critic for Defense for the New Democratic Party of Canada raised concerns about what forces Canada could end up training. “If they’ve integrated (Azov) into the larger organization, then we will be seeking clarification from Mr. Kenney [Canadian Minister of Defense] about what is happening here,” Harris said. Retired Canadian diplomat turned consultant for the International Organization of Migration in Moscow, James Bissett has argued that it would not be possible to detect all the Azov members dispersed into the National Guard battalions. Bissett told the Ottawa Citizen, “These militias [such as Azov] are being merged with Ukraine’s military so we won’t be able to determine who we are training.”

This is an issue that simply needs more attention than “I don’t know” from the United States Government. Even those most closely connected to the process seem unclear on the specifics of it.

As Congressman Charlie Wilson, the godfather of American support for the Afghan mujahedeen once said, looking back on the disaster that followed their “victory,” “These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world… and then we fucked up the endgame.” The United States’ desire to train Ukrainian troops comes from the right place—the need to stop Russian covert and overt aggression. The problem is that the Azov battalion is nuzzled so deeply into the Ukrainian government that they are nearly impossible to weed out.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Elen (2nd January 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Priorities, dontcha know.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (13th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (12th January 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    What we have been discussing on this thread for exactly a year now is now finally accepted in the mainstream. This virus came from a lab as a result of gain-of-function research and does not behave like a naturally occurring virus. It has been turbocharged to become more contagious and deadly over time, not less, which is what natural viruses would do. It also attacks all organs of the body, not just the lungs. If I knew that this came out of a Wuhan lab 12 months ago, so did our governments and it's shameful they didn't do more to protect us, when they must have known that we are probably looking at an escaped bioweapon, or at the very least, a gain-of-function experiment gone wrong.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2021), Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th January 2021), Wind (30th January 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    The more I look into it, the less I like it. I have dear friends, who live in Beijing and this thing is spreading quickly.

I mean, there is still a chance, however slim, that this whole thing will blow over, but the reaction of the Chinese government and the facts on the ground tell me otherwise. BTW, as of now, four neighbouring countries have sealed their borders with China and the US and UK governments advise against all but non-essential travel to the whole of China, which is a continent-sized country, even larger than the US.

Officially, only a few thousand people have gotten sick, but if that were true, why are they building brand new hospitals with record speed in Wuhan? From local reports, it would seem that Wuhan alone has tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of cases already. Pretty soon there will be millions and it has already spread beyond the borders of China. The silver lining seems to be that the death rate is not too bad so far perhaps 2-3 percent, although it must be said, the Spanish Influenza had roughly the same death rate, but a significantly lower R0 number, at around 1,8, so this outbreak is actually more serious. I have seen projections from serious publications that estimate around 20 percent of the global population will get it if current trends continue. That means around 1,5 billion well get sick and 30-40 million might die, all within the next year or so. I am also concerned about serious reports, not from whackjobs, but reputable sources, that the original source of the outbreak may have been the Wuhan biodefence lab, where they were experimenting with coronavirus strains collected from batcaves in the nearby area. Who knows if we'll ever find out the truth.
    One of the first posts on this thread, over a year ago and it has unfortunately held true to a far greater extent than I would have liked.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2021), Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th January 2021), Wind (30th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,093 Times in 20,304 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    What we have been discussing on this thread for exactly a year now is now finally accepted in the mainstream. This virus came from a lab as a result of gain-of-function research and does not behave like a naturally occurring virus. It has been turbocharged to become more contagious and deadly over time, not less, which is what natural viruses would do. It also attacks all organs of the body, not just the lungs. If I knew that this came out of a Wuhan lab 12 months ago, so did our governments and it's shameful they didn't do more to protect us, when they must have known that we are probably looking at an escaped bioweapon, or at the very least, a gain-of-function experiment gone wrong.

While not impossible that the virus was engineered, it is still only a theory so far, Chris. The international team that's investigating where the virus originated has only just begun its work, and the Chinese government isn't exactly cooperating. It'll still take some time before we get the definitive results of their investigation, and therefore, jumping to the conclusion that it was indeed engineered as a gain-of-function experiment is still premature ─ and dangerous ─ at this point.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (30th January 2021), Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th January 2021), Wind (30th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,467 Times in 7,282 Posts
    Any bets when things might return to relatively "normal", if ever?

I'd say that maybe around 2022, but I also feel that we might have a financial meltdown coming...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2021), Chris (30th January 2021), Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th January 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    While not impossible that the virus was engineered, it is still only a theory so far, Chris. The international team that's investigating where the virus originated has only just begun its work, and the Chinese government isn't exactly cooperating. It'll still take some time before we get the definitive results of their investigation, and therefore, jumping to the conclusion that it was indeed engineered as a gain-of-function experiment is still premature ─ and dangerous ─ at this point.
    As far as I can tell, the lab escape theory is the only one currently out there that corresponds to the known facts about this virus. Now, that may not necessarily indicate bioengineering in and of itself, possibly we are simply looking at a lab leak of a virus that was captured in the wild, but circumstantial evidence, as well as the genetic makeup of this virus points towards engineering as the most likely explanation. Like I said in the very beginning when the quickly redacted Indian paper that first pointed this out came out, certain sequences of the virus look like they have been spliced in from other viruses, chiefly HIV. This is very unlikely to have occurred naturally, which was the conclusion of that paper from the Indian Institute of Technology.

Yes, these are all probabilities and theories, we have no hard evidence yet, but as private citizens I think we can all draw our own conclusions based on very strong circumstantial evidence. As also mentioned before, a Jury would probably be persuaded on currently available evidence that a lab leak is the most likely source of this outbreak.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    How's your family, Chris? I've been doing some of my own gene research for the purpose of tracing genealogy and seeing how they relate to Covid. Seems, about 30% of my dna comes from the area of Germany-Bohemia with about 15% of Slavic and snippets of the generalized area.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 30th January 2021 at 12:59.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2021), Chris (30th January 2021), Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Wind (30th January 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post

I'd say that maybe around 2022, but I also feel that we might have a financial meltdown coming...
    I wish I could be optimistic, but I'm really not. It seems that new strains, such as the one that came from Kent in the UK are more virulent and deadly, or as with other new strains, might be more resistant to vaccines. If the virus keeps on mutating and becoming ever deadlier and more virulent, as it has probably been engineered to do, we may never be able to beat it.

It seems to me that we are looking at a significant Die-off, perhaps even an extinction-level event. I really hope I'm wrong about this...

Some sort of miracle, perhaps even literal divine intervention will have to occur for us to be able to bring this pandemic under control.

Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    How's your family, Chris?
    My mom's going in for brain surgery next week, but otherwise she's fine, didn't have any symptoms since she was released from Hospital. Since her tumour is benign and not in the brain itself, rather in the cerebral cortex, the operation should be quite low-risk and routine. I'll let you know how it goes.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am wondering why this theory is gaining speed. If it is due to the mutations that is a double-edged sword ... a natural process. it's discussing that now

my ex had brain surgery a few years ago ... she's fine now and mean as ever ...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2021), Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Wind (30th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,093 Times in 20,304 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post

I think it's going to take a lot longer before we can go back to "normal". There are still too many people who don't take this virus seriously ─ there are still lockdown parties every day, and violent protests in the Netherlands ─ and too many people who are not actually following the guidelines even though they think they are.

And then I'm not even getting into the incompetence within the governments. New Zealand scored the best on the list of countries dealing with the virus, and Belgium only sits at the 72nd place ─ which somehow doesn't surprise me. I don't know where the USA sits on that list, but it won't be very high, due to the reactionary groups and the horrible way the Trump administration handled the pandemic.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th January 2021), Wind (30th January 2021)

Thanks
    I think US is farther down the list, they have to be ... yeah, I was thinking another year just the other day. Ironically, this mess has given me an opportunity that I wanted. The ability to work from home over the long term.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2021), Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Wind (30th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,467 Times in 7,282 Posts
    Damn guys, you sure make me question the way our collective future might look like!

Kinda reminds me of the 1920-30's and what came after that... Plagues, economic meltdowns and then world wars.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2021), Dreamtimer (30th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th January 2021)

Thanks
    Yikes.

I still think the long-term forecast is good.

Not easy, though.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th January 2021), Wind (30th January 2021)

Thanks
    How to handle overload? The tools and programs are in place.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (31st January 2021), Emil El Zapato (30th January 2021)