Page 56 of 96 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus with an R0 of 3 or beyond

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Good info Chris, there's a lot of talk about this here atm.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th July 2020), Dreamtimer (14th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (14th July 2020), modwiz (14th July 2020), Octopus Garden (23rd July 2020), Wind (14th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 7,282 Posts
    No worries folks, Mike Pence knows.

There Isn’t a Coronavirus ‘Second Wave’

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th July 2020), Dreamtimer (20th July 2020), Elen (20th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (20th July 2020), Octopus Garden (23rd July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,167 Times in 11,949 Posts
    The problem with any statement from someone as disturbed as Bannon has to be suspect...no matter how true it might be?

Is no one legitimate capable of making this statement?
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th July 2020), Dreamtimer (20th July 2020), Elen (21st July 2020), Octopus Garden (23rd July 2020), Wind (20th July 2020)

Thanks
    A massive failure in leadership or a lack of common sense combined with selfishness?

U.S. records 2,600 new coronavirus cases every hour as total approaches four million

Of the 20 countries with the biggest outbreak, the United States ranks second for cases per capita, at 120 infections per 10,000 people, only exceeded by Chile.

With over 143,000 deaths, or 4.4 fatalities per 10,000 people, the United States ranks sixth globally for the highest deaths per capita. It is exceeded by the United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Chile and France.

Globally, the rate of new infections shows no sign of slowing, with the disease accelerating the fastest in the United States and South America, according to the Reuters tally, based on official reports.

Brazil registered a new daily record for confirmed coronavirus cases on Wednesday, pushing the total confirmed cases across Latin America past 4 million.

Brazil has the second-largest outbreak in the world, with more than 2.2 million people testing positive and nearly 83,000 deaths.

India, the only other country with more than 1 million cases, reported almost 40,000 new cases on Wednesday.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd July 2020), Dreamtimer (23rd July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (23rd July 2020), Octopus Garden (23rd July 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    On that note:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyQ3Pw9FEV4

We're number one! We're number one! We're number....oh.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (23rd July 2020), Octopus Garden (23rd July 2020), Wind (23rd July 2020)

Thanks
    I'd bet dollars to donuts, it would never make it through the courts... Something is wrong with people in Texas ... no offense to Chester or myself for that matter or my daughter, as for my ex and my daughter's step-father ... I rest my case.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th July 2020), Dreamtimer (24th July 2020), Elen (24th July 2020), Octopus Garden (2nd August 2020), Wind (24th July 2020)

Thanks
    I recall a few weeks ago my sister in law was telling me that a lot of people didn't seem to be very careful about spreading the virus. She lives in Arizona. Where I'm from originally.

An Alabama Doctor’s 78-Patient Weekend of COVID Hell:

Over the course of last Thursday to Monday, Thrasher treated 78 patients, the “grand majority” of whom were suffering from severe cases of COVID-19. Of that group, many were on ventilators. Between himself, another doctor, and a nurse practitioner, the team treated 140 patients at four hospitals, he said. That’s more than double their normal summer caseload, and the patients are getting younger and younger, ranging from their twenties to their seventies.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th July 2020), Elen (25th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th July 2020), Octopus Garden (2nd August 2020), Wind (25th July 2020)

Thanks
    This situation with the virus is far from over, because of stupidity and greed it will be prolonged.

Record numbers of coronavirus cases in every global region

Almost 40 countries have reported record single-day increases in coronavirus infections over the past week, around double the number that did so the previous week, according to a Reuters tally showing a pick-up in the pandemic in every region of the world.

The rate of cases has been increasing not only in countries like the United States, Brazil and India, which have dominated global headlines with large outbreaks, but in Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Bolivia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Bulgaria, Belgium, Uzbekistan and Israel, among others.

Many countries, especially those where officials eased earlier social distancing lockdowns, are experiencing a second peak more than a month after recording their first.

“We will not be going back to the ‘old normal’. The pandemic has already changed the way we live our lives,” World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said this week. “We’re asking everyone to treat the decisions about where they go, what they do and who they meet with as life-and-death decisions – because they are.”

The Reuters data, compiled from official reports, shows a steady rise in the number of countries reporting record daily increases in the virus that causes COVID-19 over the past month. At least seven countries recorded such increases three weeks ago, rising to at least 13 countries two weeks ago to at least 20 countries last week and to 37 countries this week.

The true numbers of both cases and deaths are almost certainly underreported, particularly in countries with poorer health care systems, health experts and officials say. For this report, the Reuters data was restricted to countries that provide regular daily numbers.

A surge in cases usually precedes a rise in deaths by a couple of weeks.

The United States remains at the top of the case list, this week passing more than 4 million cases and recording more than 1,000 deaths for four consecutive days. Brazil and India - which epidemiologists say is still likely months from hitting its peak - have also exceeded 1 million cases.

Second wave

The data reveals a growing number of resurgent cases in countries across all regions.

In Australia, officials enforced a six-week partial lockdown and made face masks mandatory for residents in the country’s second-largest city, Melbourne, after a fresh outbreak.

Australia and Japan, which also posted a daily case record this week, both warned of a rise in infections among young people, many of whom celebrated the end of social restrictions at bars and parties.

In Mexico, which also posted a daily record this week and has the fourth-highest death toll of any country, officials warned that a downward trend in case numbers that began in mid-June - about the time the city began relaxing social distancing measures - could reverse.

Based on the rate of hospital admissions over the past week, Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said, hospitalisation levels by October could exceed those registered in June, the height of the pandemic.

“It is important to recognise that if we do not change the trend, there could be exponential growth,” she said.

In Europe, where the summer vacation season is in full swing, a new daily record figure in Spain is likely to deter tourists from visiting one of the continent’s most popular destinations.

In Africa, Kenya recorded a record high daily case number less than two weeks after reopening activity, including domestic passenger flights. President Uhuru Kenyatta, who had announced international flights would resume on Aug. 1, has summoned officials to an emergency meeting on Monday to discuss the surge in cases.

In the Middle East, Oman imposed new restrictions that begin on Saturday in addition to a two-week lockdown that will overlap the Islamic feast of Eid al-Adha after reporting a record number of cases.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th July 2020), Dreamtimer (25th July 2020), Elen (25th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th July 2020)

Thanks
    This thing is resembling the Spanish Flu more and more every day...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th July 2020), Dreamtimer (27th July 2020), Elen (25th July 2020), Wind (25th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,099 Times in 20,304 Posts
    We're back to over 200 new infections a day here in Belgium. However, it does have to be put in perspective, because right now more people are being tested and monitored, whereas in February, the 200 new infections per day were only those that were tested, while at the same time there were many more people out there getting infected without anyone knowing about it, because nobody knew the exact symptoms, and there weren't enough test kits available.

Still, we're quite obviously in the second wave right now. And it has only been a few months ─ it was expected for September/October. Looks promising for the years to come...
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (27th July 2020), Elen (26th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th July 2020), Wind (26th July 2020)

Thanks
    The US is still stuck in the wave it never got out of.

Here is an interesting bit of opinion:

When the history of this virus is written, there will be no question: it began as a Western European and Blue American virus, hitting hardest in the communities that were densely populated and had strong connections to the outside world. But those communities also had more intelligent leadership and more intelligent publics (I use the word “intelligence” here to signify, really, a combination of better education and greater ability to discern and accept accurate information), and these communities, hit hardest early-on, were largely able to get the virus under control, using the massive advantages of the information age that our ancestors in, say, 1918 did not have.

In the end, the pandemic ended up firmly as a virus infecting Red America. And the implications of this for epidemiology will be tremendous. If we (God forbid) have any more pandemics in the information age, they will likely follow a similar trajectory — with factors such as politics, ideology and education playing a greater role than the factors that explain the geographic trajectory of pandemics in the past (factors such as population density and connections to the outside world).

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th July 2020), Elen (28th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (28th July 2020), Wind (28th July 2020)

Thanks
    The situation is getting worse in Europe and US too. Almost no one has been wearing masks here, but that might change.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24S0HH

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th July 2020), Dreamtimer (29th July 2020), Elen (28th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (28th July 2020)

Thanks
    This is may be the most scary part about outcomes from Covid19 illness:

A new study published Monday in the JAMA Cardiology Journal found that 78 percent of recovered COVID-19 patients had permanent heart damage.

The study from the University Hospital Frankfurt examined the cardiovascular MRIs of 100 people who had recovered from the coronavirus. The heart images showed that almost 80 percent of recovered COVID-19 patients had structural changes to their hearts.

Sixty percent of patients had ongoing myocardial (heart muscle) inflammation even after recovery.

The majority of the patients were not hospitalized and recovered at home, with symptoms ranging from none to moderate.
    Ads by scrollerads.com

Dr. Valentina Puntmann, who led the study, told STAT that even though coronavirus is not strongly associated with heart symptoms, the muscle is showing to play a major role in battling the virus.

An earlier study from March found cardiac injury in 19 percent of hospitalized patients in Wuhan, China, where the first case was diagnosed.

While the long-term effects of the virus remain unknown, these studies suggest that there are detrimental effects to cardiovascular systems to those infected, even after recovery.

As positive cases began to rise again in Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands, Europe fears a second wave of coronavirus cases. Several countries in Asia have also seen a resurgence of infections. On Wednesday, China reported its highest number of new daily cases since April.

Across the U.S., which is still in its first wave of the virus, a number of states have emerged as global hot spots after dramatic spikes in cases forced officials to rollback reopening. The U.S. has reported more confirmed cases of COVID-19 than any other country.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st August 2020), Elen (2nd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (1st August 2020), Wind (1st August 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I thought you might appreciate that one. The costars are Sarah Palin and another name I cannot make out. Bonian. Bovian. Can't see it.

I thought about getting a mask with a face on it that looks nothing like me.

A man would be funny.
    I'd like to get one that makes me look like a pug.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd August 2020), Dreamtimer (2nd August 2020), Elen (2nd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (2nd August 2020), Wind (2nd August 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    I'd like to get one that makes me look like a pug.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd August 2020), Dreamtimer (2nd August 2020), Elen (2nd August 2020), Emil El Zapato (2nd August 2020)