Page 23 of 96 FirstFirst ... 13202122232425263373 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus with an R0 of 3 or beyond

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    What part of California, DT? My half-sister has family in Huntington Beach, I think...I could swear she told me she lived in a different part of California...but she recently left her husband of 25+ years to move in with her 'friend'...some female medical person...yikes...

I also have an adopted brother in Madera that is not currently talking with 'those people'...Myself and my younger brother...moreso my younger brother...I was just the 'meat sandwich' in the fray.

Actually, I have another half-sister in San Diego...(between father's and mother's side I have a poopoo load of halves)
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 29th March 2020 at 14:29.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th March 2020), Aragorn (30th March 2020), Dreamtimer (28th March 2020), Wind (28th March 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    San Diego area. I have family near LA and also in San Francisco. I'm from AZ which is also where I have family. I settled where I am now not long after college. My son was born and raised here. But now he's in Wyoming. That's a good thing. Not a lot of folks there. Less spread of the virus.

Trish Regan has left Fox News after fallout from her claim of politicization. I think Hannity should do the same. He has been complicit in such stuff. There is really no shame. It blows my mind. The idea that the same thing goes on with the left is a pipe dream of the right.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th March 2020), Aragorn (30th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (28th March 2020), Wind (28th March 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    some new data points to mull over:
    Did One Gene Mutation Launch the Black Death?
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...iclekey=189239
    -----------------------------------
    Summary:
    Biologists at the University of Liverpool have discovered how the plagues of the Middle Ages have made around 10% of Europeans resistant to HIV.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0325234239.htm
    --------------------------------------
    Black Death Left a Mark on Human Genome

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/...k-human-genome
    Last edited by ZShawn, 28th March 2020 at 16:09.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZShawn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th March 2020), Aragorn (30th March 2020), Dreamtimer (30th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (28th March 2020)

Thanks
    I spent 20 minutes on my front lawn having a first conversation with a neighbor from Wyoming...I commented that Wyoming has been coming up a lot lately...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th March 2020), Aragorn (30th March 2020), Dreamtimer (30th March 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by ZShawn View Post
    some new data points to mull over:
    there is anthropological evidence that the Yamnaya herders...sp: horders...variant spelling: hoarders were the original source of the Black Plague around 2300 b.c.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th March 2020), Aragorn (30th March 2020), Dreamtimer (30th March 2020)

Thanks
    3 significant things happened when I went grocery shopping yesterday:

As I was walking into the store I put on some meat cooler worker gloves and eyed a young african-american child sitting on the handicapped carts. I don't know if everyone knows the history of blackface comedians with their white gloves but given that I am aware of it, I was afraid that I might be sparking images of it in the child's mind's eye. So, I joked, "Hi, these are my mickey mouse gloves" hoping I could get a smile maybe even a laugh (he was very young)...he just looked at me with a lost look, so I asked him if he knew who mickey mouse was...he nodded only very slightly. About that time an adult African-American walked in, overheard me and did smile. He had the reddest eyes of anyone I've ever seen and looked as he very surely was sick with the virus. He remarked that this virus thing was hell. (I'm so politically correct and damn proud of it)

Anyway, I walked into the store with my evil warding gloves on and hand sanitizer and proceeded to attend to business. As I hit an aisle corner, someone came around the corner, coughing (wearing no protection, no doubt a Trumper) and wheezing and plodding through the area with his wife in tow. I stopped about six feet away and was trying to determine the best way to avoid the area that he had just vacated when another lady came around the same corner...For a single moment I was trying to decide whether to warn her about the possibility of airborn virus particles, while she, too, glided through the area. I still feel guilty that I didn't warn her.

I ran into the redeyed guy several times which has me worried.

I need to find out if I look bug-eyed today because my favorite McDonald's was closed and I had to visit the McDougall's at WalMart. I must say I admire 1st responders of all kinds, but you know it's their job despite not having much of a choice to do what's best. Don't go to work and lose your livelihood and go to work and lose your life, but the workers at the restaurant were told to 'Not' wear any kind of protective wear because it looked 'unprofessional'. Seriously, unprofessional, somehow I think the local owner is more concerned with his money than he is with the lives of his employees.

The workers cheerfully, and I mean cheerfully served my take home meal...Those people are truly selfless in their dedication to 'service'.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 30th March 2020 at 13:15.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,469 Times in 10,174 Posts

Thanks
    No one with any sense would have run with that projection with out followup research...UK? In the U.S. a real scientist has projected 1-2 hundred thousand...I would suspect that this 'epidemiologist's' projection is no better than his first...

What is the point of this 'revelation'...jesus...

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th March 2020), Aragorn (30th March 2020), Chris (30th March 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Just want to add two snippets - I watched a short video of a truckdriver who works all over Italy. He is Romanian and there are english subtitles. Basically he describes all the major Italian cities to evince the wide area he covers. He describes the massive warehouses he drives to as part of his employment. He describes how he speaks to many many many People and not one of them can state they know anyone with the current virus. He states he has not seen any evidence of all the tens of thousands of deceased being moved anywhere. He cites a specific graveyard that is full and where the deceased were being transported for burial - he stated he saw no evidence. He looks like a regular person who has nothing to gain or lose by sharing his first person perspective.

In Australia it is now - only two people at any location. I almost laughed when Bootcamps were mentioned - no longer ten now only two. That is no longer Bootcamp - that is two People testing their fitness - isn't it???? There is so much anger in the social media. Some people want to get outside and breathe in the ocean air or jog or walk the dog and those who are isolating themselves don't see that - the suggestions being made are not law - they are just suggestions. I researched the current legislation and so far our Lawful Freedoms here are intact.

Stay strong everyone.

Much Respect - Amanda

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,103 Times in 20,306 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    What is the point of this 'revelation'...jesus...
    I reckon it's a way to rally support for The Orange Man™ by presenting a fake news video from another orange man.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (30th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (30th March 2020), Wind (30th March 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    I would have a request towards some of my fellow totters here.

This is a thread for the serious discussion of the Sars-Cov-2 coronavirus and the implications for the spread of it, as well as the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. If you think this pandemic is a hoax, or that the virus does not exist or that it is caused by 5G, may I suggest that you start your own separate thread about it. You obviously have the right to your own opinion, but those of us who think this is a real pandemic caused by an actual virus also have the right to ignore your opinion, hence it should go into its own thread.

In fact, the mods may want to move such posts and links into its own thread, but it's just a suggestion.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th March 2020), Dreamtimer (30th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (30th March 2020), Wind (30th March 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Just a couple of updates from my neck of the woods, and globally. Just as a reminder, I no longer provide links, because all of this info is in the mainstream now, so you no longer have to hunt for morsels of information in obscure blogs and exotic newspapers.

- In Hungary, further restrictions have been implemented on the free movement of people. It's not quite a lockdown yet, they're calling it "movement restrictions". I had a walk around my town on the weekend and apart from pharmacies and grocery stores, everything is closed. A few shops, such as bookstores are open for a couple of hours a day, but pretty much everything else is closed, including restaurants and cafes. A few restaurants still do takeouts and deliveries, but most are closed indefinitely. Another interesting innovation in Hungary, is that over-65s can now only go shopping (for basic supplies) between 9-12 am, so in a 3-hour window. During this time, under 65's are prohibited from entering such premises and during the rest of the day, over 65's are. Staff can ask for proof of age if they suspect somebody isn't in the correct age group and this has been widely accepted by the population.

- Hungary's "Palpatine Law" is still on course to become law, despite weak opposition protestations. This will give the government dictatorial lockdown powers indefinitely, which they can end whenever they feel like the crisis is over. It is a truly chilling development and reminds me of the fascist and communist takeovers in 1944 and 1947 respectively. I worry, that other countries will follow suit and use this pandemic as an excuse to introduce dictatorial measures. China of course is the blueprint for all this.

- The economic crisis is already on course to exceed the great depression according to many economists. Dr Doom (Nouriel Roubini) already calls it the "Greater Depression". The decline in GDP, earnings, stock prices, etc... has been considerably sharper than in 1929. I personally still think, that there will be a quick recovery once the worst of it has passed, but my opinion is increasingly in the minority.

- A big chunk of the British Cabinet has been struck down with the Cov, including the PM and the Health Secretary. This really is serious folks. The NHS is already at breaking point and it is likely to buckle and collapse within the next couple of weeks.

- The US is now the epicentre of the pandemic, for obvious reasons, which we have documented here. Trump is already bragging that limiting the casualties to a hundred thousand, would be a success. They way I see it, given the healthcare and political system in the US as well as the general unhealthiness of the population, I think we will see casualty rates not far off from Italy's and remember, how much healthier Italians are with their Mediterranean diet and active lifestyle.

- A second wave of infections, this time imported, is likely to hit in the coming weeks. Lockdowns that have been lifted, might have to be brought back again.

- Many people are stuck or under quarantine in various parts of the world, often thousands of miles from home. From what I'm hearing, it is unlikely that they can get home before Christmas, if then. I suspect a lot of them will become destitute and maybe even be forced into begging in places like Thailand. This will be another sad side-effect of deglobalisation.

- However, it is important to stay positive and not to despair. Lockdown measures, if they are introduced early and properly enforced, do work. The US and the UK acted too late unfortunately and will have to deal with the consequences of that inaction, but many parts of the world will be better off and might even be able to provide assistance to others that need it. Germany is already flying in patients from Italy for instance, because they are much better prepared and their population is used to following rules, hence they have almost negligible death rates right now.

- We will have a rough few months ahead of us, possibly until the end of the year, but we will get through it and see a rebound once the crisis has passed. There will be many positive changes that come out of this crisis, though also some negative ones, which we will have to tackle head-on.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th March 2020), Dreamtimer (30th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (30th March 2020), Wind (30th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,103 Times in 20,306 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I would have a request towards some of my fellow totters here.

This is a thread for the serious discussion of the Sars-Cov-2 coronavirus and the implications for the spread of it, as well as the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. If you think this pandemic is a hoax, or that the virus does not exist or that it is caused by 5G, may I suggest that you start your own separate thread about it. You obviously have the right to your own opinion, but those of us who think this is a real pandemic caused by an actual virus also have the right to ignore your opinion, hence it should go into its own thread.

In fact, the mods may want to move such posts and links into its own thread, but it's just a suggestion.
    At this point, there is already too much denialism and off-topic stuff interwoven with this thread to be able to move it over to another thread without breaking continuity, but I agree with you that the denialists and knee-jerk conspiracy theorists should from here on reserve their stuff for another thread and leave this one alone.

Anything off-topic, denialist or non-/pseudo-scientific will henceforth be parked on another thread ─ which will sit under the Proven Hoaxes & Misinformation category ─ and the offenders will be banned from this thread.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th March 2020), Chris (30th March 2020), Dreamtimer (30th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (30th March 2020), Wind (30th March 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    At this point, there is already too much denialism and off-topic stuff interwoven with this thread to be able to move it over to another thread without breaking continuity, but I agree with you that the denialists and knee-jerk conspiracy theorists should from here on reserve their stuff for another thread and leave this one alone.

Anything off-topic, denialist or non-/pseudo-scientific will henceforth be parked on another thread ─ which will sit under the Proven Hoaxes & Misinformation category ─ and the offenders will be banned from this thread.
    Thanks,

Just to be clear, I am not opposed to discussing the above topics, I just think it should go into its own thread, to avoid confusion.

I am certainly open to the idea that this is a manufactured crisis, or at the very least used as an excuse to introduce tyrannical measures, but when people claim that the whole virus or pandemic is a hoax, it just seems to be exceptionally removed from reality and very disrespectful to the thousands that are dying every day. In some ways it reminds me of Sandy Hook conspiracy theories.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,469 Times in 10,174 Posts
    Okay, I approve this virus, it is a virus, I do not negate this virus, I agree this virus will die out n maybe just maybe this virus has a potential to become harmless or have limited death value.

Am I within the new regulations ?.

Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    Okay, I approve this virus, it is a virus, I do not negate this virus, I agree this virus will die out n maybe just maybe this virus has a potential to become harmless or have limited death value.

Am I within the new regulations ?.
    All sources atm are saying this pandemic is slowly, yes ?.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (30th March 2020), Wind (30th March 2020)