Thread: Coronavirus with an R0 of 3 or beyond

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Now what is this talk about monkeypox?
    Another one that's here to stay.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (23rd May 2022), Emil El Zapato (22nd May 2022), Wind (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Monkey pox, for the monkeys who didn't get their vaccines when covid hit.
    I mean If at first you don't succeed. Try and Try again... and again.. and again... and again.. ad nauseum.
    Have a great day today

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (23rd May 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2022), Wind (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Catsquotl View Post
    I mean If at first you don't succeed. Try and Try again... and again.. and again... and again.. ad nauseum.
    Bullshit. Monkeypox is very different from Covid-19, and it doesn't necessarily spread in the same way either. It exclusively spreads via body fluids. This can mean droplets from sneezing or coughing, and of course the pus from the rash itself, but it is primarily — not exclusively, but primarily — a sexually transmitted disease. Or at least, whereas it concerns human-to-human transfer. The disease originates in monkeys and can of course be transferred to a human by monkey bites.

And so far, the four confirmed cases in Belgium were all people who had attended "a festival" in Antwerp; the press seems to be making particularly great efforts at not mentioning "the festival" by name — we mustn't stigmatize anyone, you know? — but the event is believed to have been related to the Antwerp Pride movement.

And yes, the pharmaceutical industry is of course eagerly jumping to reap a huge profit again, just as they did with the Covid-19 vaccines, but in most cases, the disease isn't deadly — repeat: in most cases — and there will be far less of a need for vaccination, especially since it primarily — again: primarily but not necessarily exclusively — affects male homosexuals. Now, I don't have any statistics regarding what percentage of the male population in Belgium would be gay, but I doubt that those stats would be so high that the government will mandate the vaccination of the general population. Covid-19 was different, because it was an airborne virus that could survive for extended periods on inert surfaces, and it could literally affect each and every citizen, of every age, gender, race or whatever — albeit that there seemed to be a higher risk among certain blood groups and a lower risk among others.

If you want to blame someone, then blame the people who jump from airplane to airplane as often as other people change their underwear, and who are larger than life and therefore feel like they don't need to get themselves checked for infections when traveling between countries. Blame human arrogance and hubris. There's enough of that going round to waste some of your blame on, and it'd be well-deserved.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (23rd May 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2022), Wind (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Hold your horses there bud. Just got out of the car, listening to the radio.
    Guess what was on the headline news. Monkeypoks. Guess which way the conversation went.

The old smallpox vaccine cross protected against monkey pox as well and has been removed from the dutch vaccine regimen for years.
    News, media and so called experts are actively talking about different vaccine strategies. That is not bull shit. The fear is real and is actively being continued, fed and pushed by the media.

No bullshit there.
    I agree that monkey pox is a different beast than covid, media and the uninformed are specifically not stressing that point. At least not in main stream media in the Netherlands. What they do report is fear mongering and innuendo's leading toward the believe that a vaccine strategy might work in light of the recent covid events. As with all reporting. Populism will prevail and the so called down to earth experts will not be believed.

Anyhow... Carry on...
    Have a great day today

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd May 2022), Dreamtimer (23rd May 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2022), Wind (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Bullshit. Monkeypox is very different from Covid-19, and it doesn't necessarily spread in the same way either. It exclusively spreads via body fluids. This can mean droplets from sneezing or coughing, and of course the pus from the rash itself, but it is primarily — not exclusively, but primarily — a sexually transmitted disease. Or at least, whereas it concerns human-to-human transfer. The disease originates in monkeys and can of course be transferred to a human by monkey bites.
    This one's new to me, here's what I've come up with in cursory searching:

TRANSMISSION

The virus can be transmitted through contact with an infected person or animal or contaminated surfaces. Typically, the virus enters the body through broken skin, inhalation or the mucous membranes in the eyes, nose or mouth. Researchers believe that human-to-human transmission is mostly through inhalation of large respiratory droplets rather than direct contact with bodily fluids or indirect contact through clothes. Human-to-human transmission rates for monkeypox have been limited.

Health officials are worried the virus may currently be spreading undetected through community transmission, possibly through a new mechanism or route. Where and how infections are occurring are still under investigation.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-s-and-europe/

How do you catch it?

Monkeypox can be spread when someone is in close contact with an infected person. The virus can enter the body through broken skin, the respiratory tract or through the eyes, nose or mouth.

It has not previously been described as a sexually transmitted infection, but it can be passed on by direct contact during sex.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45665821

Transmission

Human-to-human transmission is thought to occur primarily through large respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets generally cannot travel more than a few feet, so prolonged face-to-face contact is required. Other human-to-human methods of transmission include direct contact with body fluids or lesion material, and indirect contact with lesion material, such as through contaminated clothing or linens.
    https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeyp...nsmission.html
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd May 2022), Dreamtimer (23rd May 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2022), Wind (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    This one's new to me, here's what I've come up with in cursory searching:

TRANSMISSION

The virus can be transmitted through contact with an infected person or animal or contaminated surfaces. Typically, the virus enters the body through broken skin, inhalation or the mucous membranes in the eyes, nose or mouth. Researchers believe that human-to-human transmission is mostly through inhalation of large respiratory droplets rather than direct contact with bodily fluids or indirect contact through clothes. Human-to-human transmission rates for monkeypox have been limited.

Health officials are worried the virus may currently be spreading undetected through community transmission, possibly through a new mechanism or route. Where and how infections are occurring are still under investigation.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-s-and-europe/

How do you catch it?

Monkeypox can be spread when someone is in close contact with an infected person. The virus can enter the body through broken skin, the respiratory tract or through the eyes, nose or mouth.

It has not previously been described as a sexually transmitted infection, but it can be passed on by direct contact during sex.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45665821

Transmission

Human-to-human transmission is thought to occur primarily through large respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets generally cannot travel more than a few feet, so prolonged face-to-face contact is required. Other human-to-human methods of transmission include direct contact with body fluids or lesion material, and indirect contact with lesion material, such as through contaminated clothing or linens.
    https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeyp...nsmission.html
    The above says basically the same thing as what I've said, i.e. body fluids. It's not airborne or transmitted via aerosols. It takes much bigger droplets, and that counts as body fluids, as do the fluids coming out of lesions. The emphasis on sexual transmission comes from the (present-time) government communiqué, as well as the fact that all four of the currently officially diagnosed cases in Belgium — three in the Flanders, one in Wallonia — are males who had attended a "festival" linked to Antwerp Pride.

I haven't actually researched it all, given my own predicaments right now.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (23rd May 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2022), Fred Steeves (23rd May 2022), Wind (23rd May 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I was working on a very brief summary...

Monkeypox is another zoonotic virus. Although it's called monkeypox it's likely spread by african rodents. It's related to smallpox. It can cause death. There is an attenuated virus vaccine approved by the FDA called Imvamune or Imvanex.
    It's another zoonotic virus. I can't comment on how the media is reporting because I was just looking for facts and ignoring the unnecessary stuff.

There will be many more of these types of illnesses popping up. It makes a person wonder why there's such a huge resistance to efforts surrounding public health. We're going to need health services more than ever.

What kind of nefarious motive involves propaganda to make folks believe diseases are fake and cures are bad? To believe that health systems are the problem? To believe that privatization for profit will make for healthier societies?

As far as Covid goes, events are still being disrupted and I know folks getting sick. Fortunately it's not so deadly at this point and most of them are having full recovery.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd May 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2022), Fred Steeves (23rd May 2022), Wind (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Bullshit. Monkeypox is very different from Covid-19, and it doesn't necessarily spread in the same way either. It exclusively spreads via body fluids. This can mean droplets from sneezing or coughing, and of course the pus from the rash itself, but it is primarily — not exclusively, but primarily — a sexually transmitted disease.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd May 2022), Dreamtimer (23rd May 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2022), Fred Steeves (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Catsquotl View Post
    I don't think this is expected to be a big problem. Hasn't it been around for a while just uncommon? And I was always proud of myself for having been one of the few of my generation to never have received a smallpox vaccination. It is hard to win in this world.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th May 2022), Dreamtimer (25th May 2022), Wind (25th May 2022)

Thanks
    Somehow I don't find this surprising and now it's becoming the mainstream narrative too.

Two questions arise for me, will China be blamed more for it and was it actually just an "accident"?

Lab Leak Most Likely Origin of Covid-19 Pandemic, Energy Department Now Says

"The U.S. Energy Department has concluded that the Covid pandemic most likely arose from a laboratory leak, according to a classified intelligence report recently provided to the White House and key members of Congress.

The shift by the Energy Department, which previously was undecided on how the virus emerged, is noted in an update to a 2021 document by Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines’s office.

The new report highlights how different parts of the intelligence community have arrived at disparate judgments about the pandemic’s origin. The Energy Department now joins the Federal Bureau of Investigation in saying the virus likely spread via a mishap at a Chinese laboratory. Four other agencies, along with a national intelligence panel, still judge that it was likely the result of a natural transmission, and two are undecided.

The Energy Department’s conclusion is the result of new intelligence and is significant because the agency has considerable scientific expertise and oversees a network of U.S. national laboratories, some of which conduct advanced biological research.

The Energy Department made its judgment with “low confidence,” according to people who have read the classified report.

The FBI previously came to the conclusion that the pandemic was likely the result of a lab leak in 2021 with “moderate confidence” and still holds to this view."
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2023), Emil El Zapato (28th February 2023)

Thanks
    I don't think it has been decided yet. It is going mainstream but one must proceed with caution as Rupert Murdoch is behind the scenes with this report.
    Last edited by Wind, 28th February 2023 at 11:40.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2023), Wind (28th February 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    as Rupert Murdoch is behind the scenes with this report.
    What makes you think that?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2023)

Thanks
    What makes you think that?
    He owns the Wall Street Journal.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    He owns the Wall Street Journal.
    I see, but it's not the only outlet talking about it. This theory is nothing new and it seemed quite plausible way back earlier.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2023), Emil El Zapato (28th February 2023)

Thanks
    I see, but it's not the only outlet talking about it. This theory is nothing new and it seemed quite plausible way back earlier.
    true, I'm not disregarding it, but there are still controversies though that haven't been categorically disproven. This has been a really confounding question.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post: