Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 377784858687
Results 1,291 to 1,298 of 1298

Thread: Coronavirus with an R0 of 3 or beyond

Senior Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,583 Times in 1,571 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Russia will interfere with the US as much and as long as it can. It's so easy now. They have entree they never used to have.

Why folks want to downplay rhetoric and propaganda which is currently serving its purpose is beyond me. We're being played. Our anxiety and emotions are being played way too easily.

I will continue to point it out as it's doing great damage and I don't like it.
    Personally, I'd be more worried about Chinese influence-peddling with the Bidens, but it's none of my concern, I guess...

It seems to me that many Americans still have some sort of cold-war mentality about Russia, which isn't based on fact, but on some peculiar form of paranoia. I think this enemy is largely made up.

Sure, Putin is somewhat authoritarian, but modern Russia is in no way comparable to the Soviet Union. There is one country however that is comparable in many ways and that is Communist China.

Russia has no desire to go to war with the United States and it is relatively weak, notwithstanding its nuclear weapons, which are more of a deterrent than anything they could actively use on a battlefield.

China on the other hand is very much raring and ready to confront the US and its allies in the South China sea and war could break out imminently.

I have a suspicion, that the crazy wokesterism which has recently overtaken the political Left in the US is being supervised by the Maoists in China as a way to weaken the enemy and soften them up before delivering a swift and crushing blow.

If the US establishment had any sense, it would be teaming up with Russia to contain the rising threat from China, in a reversal of the Nixon China policy. China is by far the greater threat. Russia too, has far more to fear from China than from any other potential rival.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

BeastOfBologna (13th September 2021), Dreamtimer (13th September 2021), Wind (13th September 2021)

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,133 Times in 13,330 Posts
    Here's the CDC statement regarding myocarditis and pericarditis.

Since April 2021, increased cases of myocarditis and pericarditis have been reported in the United States after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna), particularly in adolescents and young adults. There has not been a similar reporting pattern observed after receipt of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine (Johnson & Johnson).

In most cases, patients who presented for medical care have responded well to medications and rest and had prompt improvement of symptoms. Reported cases have occurred predominantly in male adolescents and young adults 16 years of age and older. Onset was typically within several days after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination, and cases have occurred more often after the second dose than the first dose. CDC and its partners are investigating these reports of myocarditis and pericarditis following mRNA COVID-19 vaccination.

CDC continues to recommend COVID-19 vaccination for everyone 12 years of age and older given the risk of COVID-19 illness and related, possibly severe complications, such as long-term health problems, hospitalization, and even death.
    More here.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

BeastOfBologna (13th September 2021), Chris (13th September 2021), Wind (13th September 2021)

Thanks
    I don't know any 'wokesters'.

China is a challenge. But that doesn't mean Russia isn't a problem. Especially when so many seem to be beholden to Russian cash. Very beholden. Way too beholden. And I speak of our leaders and politicians. (Oligarchs and wannabe oligarchs gonna oligarch)

Here's one way Putin works which has nothing to do with the Soviet Union.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

BeastOfBologna (13th September 2021), Chris (13th September 2021), Wind (13th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 34,076 Times in 8,467 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Personally, I'd be more worried about Chinese influence-peddling with the Bidens, but it's none of my concern, I guess...

It seems to me that many Americans still have some sort of cold-war mentality about Russia, which isn't based on fact, but on some peculiar form of paranoia. I think this enemy is largely made up.

Sure, Putin is somewhat authoritarian, but modern Russia is in no way comparable to the Soviet Union. There is one country however that is comparable in many ways and that is Communist China.

Russia has no desire to go to war with the United States and it is relatively weak, notwithstanding its nuclear weapons, which are more of a deterrent than anything they could actively use on a battlefield.

China on the other hand is very much raring and ready to confront the US and its allies in the South China sea and war could break out imminently.

I have a suspicion, that the crazy wokesterism which has recently overtaken the political Left in the US is being supervised by the Maoists in China as a way to weaken the enemy and soften them up before delivering a swift and crushing blow.

If the US establishment had any sense, it would be teaming up with Russia to contain the rising threat from China, in a reversal of the Nixon China policy. China is by far the greater threat. Russia too, has far more to fear from China than from any other potential rival.
    I wouldn't disagree with that, Chris, If people would abandon their Bizarro World perspective, we could go back to working on real world problems and forming a front that China would find unpalatable. But as long as there is Putin it won't happen. The one critical thing about Putin to be aware of is that he has a hard cold war perspective and his entire mission is to restore the glory of the Soviet Union and to defeat the United States as retribution for the humiliating defeat of the former Union. He IS the source of the mess in the world today. That has been obvious to me since he gained national power.

The Bizarro Worlders are so confused and to use a former glorious phrase used by the alternatives, suffering from cognitive dissonance to the extreme. And that is In Fact!! There truly is no backdoor out of the double-bind conundrum.
    “But those who have been under the shadow, who have gone down at last to elemental things, will have a wider charity” - Herbert George Wells -

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeastOfBologna For This Useful Post:

Chris (13th September 2021), Dreamtimer (14th September 2021), Wind (13th September 2021)

Senior Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,583 Times in 1,571 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with that, Chris, If people would abandon their Bizarro World perspective, we could go back to working on real world problems and forming a front that China would find unpalatable. But as long as there is Putin it won't happen. The one critical thing about Putin to be aware of is that he has a hard cold war perspective and his entire mission is to restore the glory of the Soviet Union and to defeat the United States as retribution for the humiliating defeat of the former Union. He IS the source of the mess in the world today. That has been obvious to me since he gained national power.

The Bizarro Worlders are so confused and to use a former glorious phrase used by the alternatives, suffering from cognitive dissonance to the extreme. And that is In Fact!! There truly is no backdoor out of the double-bind conundrum.
    I do not think you're right about Putin. He's a hard-nosed realist and is fully aware of Russia's extremely limited scope in terms of power projection (especially soft power). He very clearly stated that only a madman would want the restoration of the Soviet Union. He probably wouldn't say no to some Russian speaking-areas in the former SU wanting to rejoin the motherland, but that's about the extent of his global ambition.

Like I said, Americans (particularly on the Left) are creating a straw-man out of Putin and projecting their fears onto him, but it is largely irrational and not fact-based at all. This is made worse by the fact that they are largely ignoring the very real and ever growing threat from China at the same time. In Biden they may even have an actual Manchurian Candidate in office. Remember that movie? Yep, it's coming true, all right...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

BeastOfBologna (13th September 2021), Dreamtimer (14th September 2021), Wind (13th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 34,076 Times in 8,467 Posts
    What's that saying, actions speak louder than words. Leaders say a lot of things and leaders will lie when expedient. Studies have been done that demonstrate the best leaders are good liars.

Putin is power and glory mad. Have you ever seen a leader that has perfected a strut better than Putin's?
    “But those who have been under the shadow, who have gone down at last to elemental things, will have a wider charity” - Herbert George Wells -

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeastOfBologna For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th September 2021), Chris (17th September 2021), Dreamtimer (14th September 2021), Wind (13th September 2021)

Thanks
    The Intelligence community (around the world) is keeping close eyes on Putin. They understand the threat from Putin. And from China too.

I'm not really interested in the 'opinions' of the left or right on this one. I'll be watching what Putin himself is doing and who's keeping an eye on him. He's been fecking with us a LOT and I don't like it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th September 2021), BeastOfBologna (14th September 2021), Chris (17th September 2021)

Thanks
    Bob Enyart is one of the most ironic stories regarding vociferous vaccine refusal followed by death from Covid. He was the radio host who'd play Queen's song Another One Bites the Dust after someone died of AIDS. He made fun of them.

And then he himself refused the necessary actions to avoid a preventable disease. He brought it upon himself just as he saw AIDS sufferers doing.

I wonder if they played the Queen song at his memorial.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2021), BeastOfBologna (16th September 2021), Chris (17th September 2021), Wind (16th September 2021)