Page 33 of 96 FirstFirst ... 23303132333435364383 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus with an R0 of 3 or beyond

Thanks
    Thanked 27,483 Times in 7,285 Posts
    I surely hope that's not the case, but we'll see. Right now it feels like I would be getting better.

About a year ago I got sick and then my throat got swollen, it felt like for days as if I would have had razor blades stuck in my throat. Every swallow hurt like hell. It totally sucked with the fever and I'm not sure what kind of a virus caused that.

Four years ago I was sicker than ever before in my life because I got some bad influenza like my brother and father did. It lasted about a month total of which perhaps at least two weeks were pure hell. When I get sick I usually develop a fever and I hate that feeling too, but it's nothing compared to what was to come back then. You know that feeling when you get sick and maybe after a week or so you slowly start to get better? Well, that was not the case then. After two weeks it just felt like it kept going and getting worse.

I couldn't really do anything, hardly sleep let alone eat. Pain was real bad, especially when it felt like that not only was my whole body aching, but especially my kidneys too. That combined with extreme dizzyness was horrible, I'll be glad if I will never have to experience something like that again. Back then I really wished I could die from it because I was in so much pain and agony.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th April 2020), Chris (25th April 2020), Dreamtimer (26th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th April 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I've been looking into making masks. I want to use the best material possible with one layer being non-woven. Some say a HEPA filter vacuum bag is good. I have a good pattern and a sewing machine. My son's girlfriend sewed a couple by hand.

I saw a DIY video where the woman made one with a paper towel, one with a coffee filter, one with a shirt sleeve, one with a scarf, and another...can't recall all the materials.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Chris (26th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,183 Times in 11,956 Posts
    In Harris county, Texas we are required to wear masks starting on Monday...local mandate...At the state level they are trying to kill us...not really there are worse states around...mostly in the South, of course.

I was feeling a might peaked for awhile but I drank a pint of Drano and a pint of Lysol and I'm feeling a hunderd percent now...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Chris (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (26th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    Did you swallow a fiber optics cable in order to shine a bright UV light on your innards? I guess maybe you'd have to be intubated with it.

Sorry for the very dark humor, folks.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Chris (26th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    Hi DT, there are other options, you know...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (26th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    I'm mind-blown by the talk of 'herd immunity'. What about being a sheeple? Do folks not see the deep irony?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Chris (26th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    We all know or should know that Trump is a moron. He has handled this situation really badly and his failure is the fact that he is incapable of taking responsibility for anything. He likes to blame others and take praise when ever possible. It's not nice to call people names, but you have to call a spade a spade. The man is so stupid that he makes even George W. Bush look intelligent and I used to think he was the most stupid president ever. Anyone who is a follower of Trump or believes anything says really is ignorant. That is to say that either they are deluded or just unaware of the facts about the man and I'm not sure how that is even possible. It would seem that many of the right wingers with the help of Faux News have gone so far right that they have literally descended into collective insanity.

I can't really believe that I used to give the man the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of his term. We are living in a parody.

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat."

~ George Carlin

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Chris (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I'm mind-blown by the talk of 'herd immunity'. What about being a sheeple? Do folks not see the deep irony?
    The thing about that, and the WHO warned about this just yesterday, there is no evidence whatsoever that getting Covid-19 and having antibodies present in your system gives any sort of immunity, herd or otherwise. In fact, we have plenty of anecdotal evidence that people who got Covid-19 and were declared clean, were reinfected again, or, also likely, the virus never really went away and stayed dormant somewhere in their bodies, in insufficient quantities to be detected.

Condider, that this is an HIV-like virus in many ways, especially in the way it attaches itself to ACE-2 receptors. I think it is increasingly likely that this virus will prove just as ineradicable as HIV or the common cold, with very serious long-term consequences. People will probably get reinfected over and over again and each bout of Covid-19 will cause permanent damage, particularly to lung tissue, until they eventually expire.

I apologise for again changing tact, but I have to change my view when new evidence comes in and I am now really concerned, that this virus is here to stay and social distancing measures and all the radical changes to human life we had to endure will be with us permanently.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    If that proves to be true Chris, we really are looking at moving on to the next iteration of the human species...whomever survives now will be the Adams and Eves

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Chris (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    I hope humanity's future would be better than that.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Chris (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,111 Times in 20,309 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    The thing about that, and the WHO warned about this just yesterday, there is no evidence whatsoever that getting Covid-19 and having antibodies present in your system gives any sort of immunity, herd or otherwise. In fact, we have plenty of anecdotal evidence that people who got Covid-19 and were declared clean, were reinfected again, or, also likely, the virus never really went away and stayed dormant somewhere in their bodies, in insufficient quantities to be detected.

Condider, that this is an HIV-like virus in many ways, especially in the way it attaches itself to ACE-2 receptors.
    The above in particular is not impossible. A person infected with HIV will never recover from it through any natural means, and it is therefore theoretically possible that the same would be true for a person infected with SARS-CoV-2. Considering how it moves around in the body and constantly attempts to circumvent the immune system, I must sadly enough concur that your hypothesis is very likely true.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    I'm not ready to go there yet, but it is a terrible outcome for sure.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Chris (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    The above in particular is not impossible. A person infected with HIV will never recover from it through any natural means, and it is therefore theoretically possible that the same would be true for a person infected with SARS-CoV-2. Considering how it moves around in the body and constantly attempts to circumvent the immune system, I must sadly enough concur that your hypothesis is very likely true.
    At this point I guess we just don't know, but the signs aren't promising.

From doctors in the field, who have been dealing with this since January, it would appear that those that get it and recover, suffer permanent lung damage. If or when they catch it a second time, their chances of survival are subsequently much worse.

I'm not giving up hope yet that this may prove to be a fluke or a mistake, or that some sort of medical solution is found to tackle this problem, but I fear it may take years to come up with it. During that time, we will have to live in semi-permanent lockdown and the implications for daily life and the economy are extremely dire.

Already the UK is making noises, from the highest levels of government, that lockdown measures will have to stay in place at least for the next 12 months. Other scientific and medical advisers are already forecasting a minimum of 24 months, and that's if a vaccine can be found, quickly. That's how long it would take to test, trial, manufacture and administer it in sufficient quantities, to achieve true "herd" immunity and that's assuming no major mutations appear in the next couple of years, which again seems like a long shot with an RNA virus such as this one, which are particularly prone to mutations.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Wind (26th April 2020)

Thanks
    This is off topic but I am thinking about trying to do a 'reading'. It's something I haven't seriously tried, if at all, in 20 years...I'm more than a little afraid to do it.

Has anyone noticed when taking 'scientific' tests for precognitive, et all, abilities that often when you don't get a correct response, it is always the next scenario that matches...weird. I have been very successful with 'remote viewing' in the past...etc.

I'm not sure it is worth it to try, takes a lot of energy and altered concentration. And it might be spiritually out of bounds...I know while writing this I'm not going to do it...I don't want to know! I'm just having a 'weird' moment...cabin fever and some strange events today...

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2020), Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Wind (27th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,111 Times in 20,309 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    This is off topic but I am thinking about trying to do a 'reading'. It's something I haven't seriously tried, if at all, in 20 years...I'm more than a little afraid to do it.

Has anyone noticed when taking 'scientific' tests for precognitive, et all, abilities that often when you don't get a correct response, it is always the next scenario that matches...weird. I have been very successful with 'remote viewing' in the past...etc.

I'm not sure it is worth it to try, takes a lot of energy and altered concentration. And it might be spiritually out of bounds...I know while writing this I'm not going to do it...I don't want to know! I'm just having a 'weird' moment...cabin fever and some strange events today...
    In my experience, if you are getting emotionally involved, then better not try reading anything, because then your results will be distorted, if not plain wrong altogether. Trust me ─ been there, done that.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (27th April 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2020), Wind (27th April 2020)