Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Kai's magnificent and random music from all over the world thread

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,904 Times in 446 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    Slav sitting ... that's a new one on me.
    Actually got the translation wrong, it's slav squatting how the meme uses it, and there's an entire subreddit dedicated to it lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/slavs_squatting/

The thing is, a lot of the posers try to look cool, as if "just got out of jail" bad guys, and it seems lame because you can tell immediately when they are kind of faking it for the looks

I once had a T-shirt that said: Водка - враг народа

I would go jogging wearing it and once a guy asked me if i was middle-eastern. Americans, omigod. even the Mexican ones.
    Reminds me of this..
    Professor suspected of being a terrorist because of a math equation
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...elay/84084914/

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th May 2021), Aragorn (16th May 2021), Dreamtimer (16th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Malisa View Post
    Gawd! Trust me, that's par for the course in the U.S.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th May 2021), Dreamtimer (16th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Malisa (16th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    Gawd! Trust me, that's par for the course in the U.S.
    Well i had a friend who could not get it on his head that vodka can be made out of potatoes and he somehow thought it was some kind of magical mixture of water and alcohol, and when i asked how the alcohol was created he just became a blank statue of a person with an open mouth... I guess he never really thought about it much, or he drank too much of it, or both :P

I also read some lady at a US government office did not understood that "New Mexico" is a state in the US, and kept asking the person with the New Mexico id where he was from and if he was illegal or something like that

So i guess every country has their own share of functional zombies

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th May 2021), Dreamtimer (16th May 2021), Elen (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Well i had a friend who could not get it on his head that vodka can be made out of potatoes and he somehow thought it was some kind of magical mixture of water and alcohol, and when i asked how the alcohol was created he just became a blank statue of a person with an open mouth...

So i guess every country has their own share of functional zombies
    Yes they do.

I'm familiar with the blank stare. They dynamic goes like this.

There's a conversation. One person (often the female) comes up with the brilliant insight or solution or perspective. Another (often male in my experience) goes blank in the face and says nothing. No response even.

Then, an hour or day or week or month later he suddenly notes that he had this brilliant insight or solution or perspective...and not a mention of the OG. He acts as if it was all his own idea.

Seen it a million times.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th May 2021), Malisa (16th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Yes they do.

I'm familiar with the blank stare. They dynamic goes like this.

There's a conversation. One person (often the female) comes up with the brilliant insight or solution or perspective. Another (often male in my experience) goes blank in the face and says nothing. No response even.

Then, an hour or day or week or month later he suddenly notes that he had this brilliant insight or solution or perspective...and not a mention of the OG. He acts as if it was all his own idea.

Seen it a million times.
    That's not gender-specific. I've had people do that to me all of my life. Or worse: dismiss out-of-hand what I say and then later on come up with what I told them as if it was their own discovery.

As an example ─ this is way off-topic, but okay ─ I distinctly remember when my dad was coaching my brother at driving. My brother already had his driver's license, but he hadn't been driving a car anymore between his driving lessons and the acquisition of his first car ─ he had always been riding a moped.

So anyway, my brother's first car was a small front-wheel-driven hatchback, and my dad was riding along with him to refamiliarize him with driving a car. My own car was front-wheel-driven as well ─ so far, they have all been. Only, my dad was used to driving rear-wheel-drive cars. Then, at the dinner table, my dad told my brother that if you turn into a corner, you must first back off on the throttle, and once you turn in, you must reapply throttle again. So I said "No, you mustn't do that, because it's front-wheel-drive, and if you apply throttle in the corner it will understeer."

My dad's reaction was to tell me to shut up, because what did I know, and he was an experienced driver. Later on, he went riding with my brother again and made him follow his instruction to apply throttle in the corner. And as you might have guessed, the car ran wide, wanting to go straight ahead instead of turning. And when he reported it at the dinner table that day, I said "I told you so, but you wouldn't hear me out", and that's when I got the blank stare.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th May 2021), Malisa (16th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)

Thanks
    I know it's not. I hesitated indicating the gender. I did because it's usually been a power play kind of thing and usually, for me anyway, with men.

And the women of my country have been making it oh-so-clear that batshit egos work just fine in the female body.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th May 2021), Malisa (16th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    I know it's not. I hesitated indicating the gender. I did because it's usually been a power play kind of thing and usually, for me anyway, with men.

And the women of my country have been making it oh-so-clear that batshit egos work just fine in the female body.

Ah, you mean the Karens?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th May 2021), Malisa (16th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    More or less that exact thing happened to me, the 'wait one hour or day or so and then come up with the same idea'

It was last year, i wrote an email with a design for a problem we had in an app we were building, the technical leader ignored my email and when i mentioned it on a call he said "we can't just do cheap hacks, i'll take this over and come back to you with directions in a couple days"

Two days later, he sent a very proud email explaining to me what and how to do the task, Only his email described in perfect details the exact same solution i had posted almost 4 days earlier...

I replied and copied everyone on the team with my own email quoted and said "So you say my solution was good after all?" Then radio silence

Then on the next call, he was very silent and i said "did you read my email? did you even read my original email or just dismissed it as a hack, because your solution is the exact same solution i had proposed" And he did not speak at all, then the project manager switched the conversation to something else, we never talked about 'the issue' after that. Lol

I was almost about to pick up the guy and throw him face first into a toilet... Honestly

ETA: And this one, i'm perfectly sure had gender involved on it all across
    Last edited by Malisa, 16th May 2021 at 23:52.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2021), Dreamtimer (16th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th May 2021), Wind (16th May 2021)

Thanks
    My niece has been having that same problem with some of her teams in graduate school.

And my friend Pat, he's great because he'll be like, "Oh, you mean Rebecca's idea. Yeah, I thought it was a good solution too."

There are allies around...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th May 2021), Malisa (17th May 2021), Wind (17th May 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    My niece has been having that same problem with some of her teams in graduate school.

And my friend Pat, he's great because he'll be like, "Oh, you mean Rebecca's idea. Yeah, I thought it was a good solution too."

There are allies around...
    Great to hear I also had some allies around. But seriously, it's such a drag, and it's a minute by minute constant look up for danger thing that exhausts your soul, you never know if someone is looking for ways to take you down or pick up your ideas and then sell them as their own. So F* tiring to having to constantly be on the lookup, Jebus!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2021), Dreamtimer (17th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th May 2021), Wind (17th May 2021)

Thanks
    I had a teacher steal an idea from me when I was a kid. She took my short story and never gave it back.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th May 2021), Malisa (18th May 2021), Wind (17th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    I had a teacher steal an idea from me when I was a kid. She took my short story and never gave it back.
    Beeyotch ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2021), Dreamtimer (17th May 2021), Malisa (18th May 2021), Wind (17th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    More or less that exact thing happened to me, the 'wait one hour or day or so and then come up with the same idea'

It was last year, i wrote an email with a design for a problem we had in an app we were building, the technical leader ignored my email and when i mentioned it on a call he said "we can't just do cheap hacks, i'll take this over and come back to you with directions in a couple days"

Two days later, he sent a very proud email explaining to me what and how to do the task, Only his email described in perfect details the exact same solution i had posted almost 4 days earlier...

I replied and copied everyone on the team with my own email quoted and said "So you say my solution was good after all?" Then radio silence

Then on the next call, he was very silent and i said "did you read my email? did you even read my original email or just dismissed it as a hack, because your solution is the exact same solution i had proposed" And he did not speak at all, then the project manager switched the conversation to something else, we never talked about 'the issue' after that. Lol

I was almost about to pick up the guy and throw him face first into a toilet... Honestly

ETA: And this one, i'm perfectly sure had gender involved on it all across
    I could be bribed to ''teach the guy some respect''
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th May 2021), Dreamtimer (18th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th May 2021), Malisa (18th May 2021), Wind (17th May 2021)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    That has to be one of the lowest a human adult can go

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th May 2021), Dreamtimer (18th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th May 2021), Wind (18th May 2021)

Thanks
    I'd love to see one of Lord Sidious' lessons in respect. I bet that would be quite satisfying.

That has to be one of the lowest a human adult can go

She lied to my face. She told me she wanted to use it as an example at some kind of teachers' conference. Later when I asked about it she lied and said she didn't know what I was talking about.

I recall my mother being very mad.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th May 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th May 2021), Lord Sidious (18th May 2021), Malisa (18th May 2021), Wind (18th May 2021)