Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425

Thread: EXTRAS

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,542 Times in 10,834 Posts
    So many people fell for Sasha Baron Cohen's characters, and thought they were real.

What's the name of this phenomenon? What is in the human makeup that leads to following con artists?

I used to think it was naivete. But people who should know better still fall.

Is there a survival aspect? Stay close to the leader and you'll get food/shelter? Stay close to the leader and you'll get power/salvation/a payoff?

I have not studied cults and the mentality of followers.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (Today), giovonni (Today), NotAPretender (Today), Wind (Yesterday)

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,542 Times in 10,834 Posts
    Cultists gonna cult cult cult cult cult
    Jesus' gonna jeez jeez jeez jeez jeez
    I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake
    Shake some salt! Shake some salt! Hoo hoo hoo.

(there was at least one salt cult)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (Today), giovonni (Today), NotAPretender (Today), Wind (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 25,274 Times in 6,040 Posts
    I can speak of this 'Jesus' ... I could find myself actually checking out something like this, as a teenager, (high on booze and pot) I wished that I could have lived 2000 years ago and 'communed' with Jesus. Since, I got that the 'old thought' out of my brain, my brain changed. I wouldn't 'visit' such a thing without some real hard evidence of 'divinity/supernatural' acts. This dude ain't got it...

Lost people looking for a 'comfort zone' and cultists are overjoyed to offer it for their own ends.
    “If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.”

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotAPretender For This Useful Post:

Elen (Today), giovonni (Today), Wind (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 28,571 Times in 5,407 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by giovonni View Post
    For those who might still be waiting, here's a good example of
    what would (or has already) occurred upon this world...

Cult leader claiming to be reincarnation of Jesus arrested in Russia

By Vincent Barone

September 22, 2020

Sergei Torop meets with his followers in the remote village of Petropavlovka, Russia in 2009.

"A cult leader who bills himself as the reincarnation of Jesus has reportedly been arrested in Russia.

Sergei Torop, 59, will face charges for organizing an illegal religion and extorting money from his cult’s members, whom he allegedly emotionally abused, The Guardian reported Tuesday.

Russia’s federal security forces conducted a special operation involving helicopters and armed officers to storm the cult in Siberia and arrest Torop, a former traffic cop known to his thousands of followers as Vissarion, and two of his aides.

The country’s Investigative Committee accused Torop, who sports long hair and a beard, of “using followers’ money and psychological violence to inflict harm,” the Moscow Times reported.

After losing his traffic officer gig in 1989, Torop said he experienced an “awakening” that inspired him to launch a movement called the Church of the Last Testament, which blends Christianity with environmentalism and other values, according to The Guardian.

“I am not God. And it is a mistake to see Jesus as God. But I am the living word of God the father. Everything that God wants to say, he says through me,” he told the Guardian back in 2002."

Sergei Torop appears at a hearing at Novosibirsk’s Tsentralny (Central) District Court in Russia.

"The cult has about 20 settlements deep in the southern Siberian wilderness, where about 4,000 followers — or “Vissarionites” — live, according to the Moscow Times.

Authorities also reportedly arrested Vadim Redkin, Torop’s alleged right-hand man, and another associate named Vladimir Vedernikov.

It’s not immediately clear what prompted authorities to move in on Torop. The Russian Orthodox church has criticized the cult in the past, though the organization has remained largely unbothered, according to The Guardian."

Source page
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I always got a creepy vibe from this dude. Cultists gonna cult!

Anyone claiming to be the reincarnation of Jesus is nuts anyways.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Cv5hZfOmk
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    If you haven't seen this, it's great!

For the above post comments reference sake ...
    Presenting an alternative to the alternative community.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to giovonni For This Useful Post:

Elen (Today)