Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Science of Astrology

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts

The Science of Astrology

I thought that in this thread could be posted any general musings about astrology, including transits and birth charts.

Is Astrology a Real Science?

It is never a question of belief; the only scientific attitude one can take on any subject is whether it is true. The law of gravitation worked as efficiently before Newton as after him. The cosmos would be fairly chaotic if its laws could not operate without the sanction of human belief.

Charlatans have brought the stellar science to its present state of disrepute. Astrology is too vast, both mathematically and philosophically, to be rightly grasped except by men of profound understanding. If ignoramuses misread the heavens, and see there a scrawl instead of a script, that is to be expected in this imperfect world. One should not dismiss the wisdom with the ‘wise.’

All parts of creation are linked together and interchange their influences. The balanced rhythm of the universe is rooted in reciprocity. Man, in his human aspect, has to combat two sets of forces — first, the tumults within his being, caused by the admixture of earth, water, fire, air, and ethereal elements; second, the outer disintegrating powers of nature. So long as man struggles with his mortality, he is affected by the myriad mutations of heaven and earth.

Astrology is the study of man’s response to planetary stimuli. The stars have no conscious benevolence or animosity; they merely send forth positive and negative radiations. Of themselves, these do not help or harm humanity, but offer a lawful channel for the outward operation of cause-effect equilibriums which each man has set into motion in the past.

A child is born on that day and at that hour when the celestial rays are in mathematical harmony with his individual karma.

His horoscope is a challenging portrait, revealing his unalterable past and its probable future results. But the natal chart can be rightly interpreted only by men of intuitive wisdom: these are few.

The message boldly blazoned across the heavens at the moment of birth is not meant to emphasize fate — the result of past good and evil — but to arouse man’s will to escape from his universal thralldom. What he has done, he can undo. None other than himself was the instigator of the causes of whatever effects are now prevalent in his life. He can overcome any limitation, because he created it by his own actions in the first place, and because he has spiritual resources which are not subject to planetary pressure.

Superstitious awe of astrology makes one an automaton, slavishly dependent on mechanical guidance. The wise man defeats his planets — which is to say, his past — by transferring his allegiance from the creation to the Creator.

The more he realizes his unity with Spirit, the less he can be dominated by matter. The soul is ever-free; it is deathless because birthless. It cannot be regimented by stars.

Man is a soul, and has a body. When he properly places his sense of identity, he leaves behind all compulsive patterns. So long as he remains confused in his ordinary state of spiritual amnesia, he will know the subtle fetters of environmental law.

God is harmony; the devotee who attunes himself will never perform any action amiss. His activities will be correctly and naturally timed to accord with astrological law. After deep prayer and meditation he is in touch with his divine consciousness; there is no greater power than that inward protection.

~ Sri Yukteswar

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (19th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I thought that in this thread could be posted any general musings about astrology, including transits and birth charts.
    That's some good stuff, Wind.

I've got a migraine right now, but later I will post my natal chart.

p.s. I've been having some insomnia this week, not surprising given my chart versus the middle of Gemini ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023), Wind (18th June 2022)

Thanks
    I haven't been sleeping too well this week either, I wonder if it's due to impact of the Super Moon. It's waning now though.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (18th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023)

Thanks
    I haven't been sleeping too well this week either, I wonder if it's due to impact of the Super Moon. It's waning now though.
    I didn't know about it ... hmm, possibly.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th June 2022), Wind (18th June 2022)

Thanks
    I think it's fine to dissect certain aspects of birth charts online, but I don't think they should be for everyone's eyes, if you know what I mean. The timing for the birth and the birth parents for the soul are no mistake ever. My astrologer told me that I was born during Mercury retrograde, so what do you think it tells about me and they way I communicate? Her take on it was interesting. Usually devices and people are affected possibly adversely during Mercury retrograde, but how about people who were born during one?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (18th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023)

Thanks
    Honestly, I don't recall much emphasis on retrograde motion. My impression was always as symbolism the only thing that mattered was one astral body in relation to another. On the other hand, if the direction of motion alters the relationship (aspect) between two bodies then that could have a 'transitory effect'.

But if the idea of retrogression IS important, intuitively I would think that it would generate an 'opposite' tendency to the natural effect. In regard to Mercury that is intellect and communication. Knowing you as I do, (incidentally Mercury is never more than 30 degrees away from the birth/sun sign), I would say that the retrograde motion might have fostered an ability to 'hold one's tongue'. I need to read about it and see what I think...it is possible that I've simply forgotten.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023), Wind (18th June 2022)

Thanks
    So what was her take, Wind?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th June 2022), Wind (19th June 2022)

Thanks
    I just read a little bit about it. First recognized in the 1300's and first 'applied' in the 1800's. I'm not sure why I'm not 'consciously' familiar with that idea. I probably encountered it when I was studying it and it didn't impress as profoundly impacting so it slipped past my notice. I don't recognize certain principles that 'evolved' into vogue and perhaps that is a mistake. A given example is the use Charon as an influence. If I wanted to be/take Astrological study seriously, I would probably have to change my attitude. There have been changes historically that I am familiar with but were already in practice when I was involved. An example of that is before the outer planets were discovered a number of the signs shared planetary 'rulers'. I accepted that as 'normal'.

Science does progress as we all know.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023), Wind (19th June 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    So what was her take, Wind?
    On me, regards Mercury retrograde you mean?

I googled about that and it said that people who are born during it are very shy in childhood. Prince was born during one too.

I was very shy at times, I couldn't even look some people in the eyes and it took me time to get comfortable in certain surroundings or situations. I always hated looking people in the eyes, but I finally started to do that somewhere in my mid 20's because I wanted to seem normal and get rid of my limitations. Only when I started to get closer the age of 30 I finally started to get "more" comfortable with social interactions, but I wouldn't say that I am even now really comfortable with them.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (19th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    I was very shy at times, I couldn't even look some people in the eyes and it took me time to get comfortable in certain surroundings or situations. I always hated looking people in the eyes, but I finally started to do that somewhere in my mid 20's because I wanted to seem normal and get rid of my limitations.
    I doubt whether that would be astrological. It is however one of the traits of autism. I've got difficulty with it too, and I have known people on the spectrum who could never do it.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (19th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023), Wind (19th June 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I doubt whether that would be astrological. It is however one of the traits of autism. I've got difficulty with it too, and I have known people on the spectrum who could never do it.
    Well yes, I am aware of that. Astrology just shows thing about us, it's like a map. It doesn't make us that way.

My astrologer said that Mercury being retrograde at my birth means my communication skills are considerable and I see things differently to most people, from a different perspective and I see things other people miss. I am very detail-oriented and analytical and I always have wondered that why some people fail to see certain things, but I have to think about my communication skills. I don't consider myself a talker and if I was in a public room with people who aren't close or related to me then I would probably be the most quiet person there. I still probably would be the most quiet person even in my own family. It's easier for myself to express myself through writing or if I am really interested in some subject then I might more easily talk to someone about one-on-one. It can be a bit difficult for myself to verbalize my thoughts so I always think a lot about what I'm going to say. I admire people who have the gift of speech though, meaning the likes of people who can impactfully and even poetically say the things they mean and use words in a powerful way.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (19th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023)

Thanks
    Well yes, I am aware of that. Astrology just shows thing about us, it's like a map. It doesn't make us that way.

My astrologer said that Mercury being retrograde at my birth means my communication skills are considerable and I see things differently to most people, from a different perspective and I see things other people miss. I am very detail-oriented and analytical and I always have wondered that why some people fail to see certain things, but I have to think about my communication skills. I don't consider myself a talker and if I was in a public room with people who aren't close or related to me then I would probably be the most quiet person there. I still probably would be the most quiet person even in my own family. It's easier for myself to express myself through writing or if I am really interested in some subject then I might more easily talk to someone about one-on-one. It can be a bit difficult for myself to verbalize my thoughts so I always think a lot about what I'm going to say. I admire people who have the gift of speech though, meaning the likes of people who can impactfully and even poetically say the things they mean and use words in a powerful way.
    For sure I would agree with that.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th June 2022), Octopus Garden (8th October 2023), Wind (19th June 2022)

Thanks
    Your Planetary Sojourns—How Astrology Works

"According to the Edgar Cayce readings, between earthly incarnations, your soul lives, or sojourns, in the “environs” of the planets.

Several theories have been offered over the years for how astrology works. A causal theory proposes that there may be an actual physical influence from the planets (like the Moon-controlled tides) that is too small to be measured at the present time.

Another suggested theory is Carl Jung’s theory of synchronicity stating that things happening at the same given moment are in some way meaningfully connected.

“We are born at a given moment in a given place and like vintage years of wine we have the qualities of the year and of the season in which we are born. Astrology does not lay claim to anything else.” —C.G.Jung

The Cayce readings brought forward a more universal and cosmic view of astrology with the idea of planetary sojourns. According to the readings, between earthly incarnations, your soul lives, or sojourns, in the “environs” of the planets, and the astrological influences you experience during this lifetime result from those between-life periods spent (not in physical form) in the environs of the planets.

"Hence we find astrological aspects and influence in the experience, but rather because of the entity's sojourn in the environ than because of a certain star, constellation or even zodiacal sign being in such and such a position at the time of birth." (1895-1)

In addition, an astrological reading does not give information about past earthly lives.

"Q. What is a horoscope reading?

"A. That in which the planets and their relative forces having to do with the planets that control the actions without respect of will or without respect of the earthly existences through which the body has passed.

"Q. Do horoscope readings include former appearances in the earth plane?
    "A. Not at all."
    (254-21) (my emphasis)

Many ancient medieval and esoteric philosophies and mystery religions have suggested that there is an astral plane that the soul must cross on its way to entering an earthly life, and then again, after death. Angels and spirits are thought to populate these celestial spheres.

In addition, Paramahansa Yogananda reported the following story in Autobiography of a Yogi (1972). Sri Yukteswar, Yogananda's teacher, passed from the earth on March 9, 1936. He then appeared to Yogananda on June 19, 1936 and told him that, "I am in truth resurrected- not on earth but on an astral planet... There you and your exalted loved ones shall someday come to be with me."

The Cayce readings suggest interesting differences between the influences of past earthly lives and the planetary sojourns.

Planetary Sojourns (between earthly lives) influence your mental development, contribute to your individuality, and are responsible for the influences seen in a horoscope.

Past Earthly Lives influence your emotional development, contribute to your personality, and can only be accessed through life readings, such as the type Edgar Cayce gave. They cannot be seen in a horoscope.

"(the planetary urges)... are but the mental urges that arise and become as the individuality of an entity in expression in the material world; while the appearances in the earth through the various sojourns ...are as but the personality in the entity's experience-and are as the urges from the emotions that have been created." -- Edgar Cayce reading 633-2

How do the Cayce readings define personality versus individuality?

"Personality is that ye wish others to think and see. Individuality is that your soul prays, your soul hopes for, desires. They need not necessarily be one, but their purpose must be one." -- Edgar Cayce reading 5246-1

The readings suggest that if the personality and the individuality are not balanced and integrated, then the horoscope might not fit the person.

"Urges termed astrological would be very far from correct in this particular entity. For, as has been indicated, the personality and the individuality of the entity are quite at variance." -- Edgar Cayce reading 5246-1

When working with planetary influences that result from your planetary sojourns, the readings always emphasize the need for setting an ideal and using your will to make life choices."

"Then, as to the influences from the astrological aspects or sojourns during the interim, know that these are merely urges. As to what one does with or about an urge is oft dependent upon what an entity holds as its ideal-and then the application of will as respecting same."

-- Edgar Cayce reading 1842-1

"Planets are not only the energy of the solar system and the ‘action’ in the birth chart, they are inter-dimensional torsion fields."

~ Kannon McAfee

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th October 2022)

Thanks
    Edgar Cayce on Astrology, The Cosmos & The Self

"For over 40 years, Edgar Cayce (1877 - 1945) gave psychic readings to thousands while in an unconscious state, diagnosing illnesses and revealing past lives and prophecies of events yet to come — but few know that the Cayce source had much to say about astrology and Cayce gave many readings on the subject. There are nearly 8,000 indexed references regarding astrology in the Cayce readings.

Cayce, the astrologer, used his clairvoyant skills to give horoscope readings without drawing up any astrology charts. He not only correctly delineated the positions of the planets and houses, he sometimes corrected the birth time provided by the querent.

Cayce referred to the planet Vulcan, identified with Pluto, before Pluto was discovered in 1930. In his astrological consultations, Cayce referred to a yet unknown planet named Septimus and to chart influences from stars and constellations outside the Zodiac such as Polaris and Canus Major. In this regard, Cayce drew from a library of ancient knowledge to which few have access today.

The Cayce source believed that the Sidereal Zodiac was more accurate than the Tropical Zodiac used in the West. Reading 3376 - 2 states: “Though oft they are correct, more often ye find them at variance. For most astrologers are nearly 30 degrees off in the reckoning in the present.”

In a reading Cayce gave to a woman whom he said was an astrologer in ancient Egypt, he stated: “The Egyptian and Persian records are quite varied. If the entity would study astrology, do not put the signs in the Egyptian but rather in the Persian, for the Persian interpretations are more proficient than the Egyptian. The variations in time (due to precession) have been corrected by the Persians and not by the Egyptians. The Egyptian calculations are 30 degrees off.” (Reading 2011-3)

Known as: “The Sleeping Prophet,” the father of holistic medicine and the most documented psychic of the 20th Century, Edgar Cayce supported the idea of an eternal universe, saying, “... though there may be worlds, many universes, even much as to solar systems, greater than our own that we enjoy in the present, this earthly experience on this earth is a mere speck when considered even with our own solar system. Yet the soul of man, thy soul, encompasses all in this solar system, or in others...” (Reading 5755-2)

What does an eternal universe have to do with astrology? A lot! Cayce’s views on astrology were not limited to the planets in our solar system. They are cosmic, eternal, and they show humanity’s relationship with not just the planets and the stars but with the entire universe. For Cayce, man was made greater and more powerful than the planets and the stars for only he is allowed to defy his God. According to Cayce, through free will man may move the planets and the stars. In this regard, we have the power to literally change outcomes or conditions indicated by our natal chart. Only from Cayce will you hear such bold views on astrology. They do not exist in other astrological schools of thought.

Cayce stated that souls inhabit different realms between their lifetimes on earth, each of which can be correlated to one of the classical seven planets or a star, and that the natal chart shows the planet or star from which the soul "took flight" before entering the earth plane. A method for determining that planet is to compare the Sun and the Moon. Whichever is stronger by exaltation (closest to its degree of highest exaltation), we look to the decanate where it is located. The ruler of that decanate, is the planet from which the soul took flight to earth.

Knowing the planet of previous incarnation gives information on the basic characteristics and traits that the individual would bring to this incarnation. This helps one to better know self. Through self-knowledge man is more able to direct his own path and destiny, becoming co-creator with the creative forces.

Cayce’s readings on astrology provide useful information on past lives. Many of the people for whom Cayce gave readings had past lives in Egypt, Atlantis and other civilizations in human history. Astrologer Ry Redd, author of Toward a New Astrology, made an extensive study of past lives using the Cayce Readings.

Cayce readings gave specific information on the planets and the signs of the Zodiac. For example, in a reading with respect to Jupiter he said, “In Jupiter we find one having a great influence upon the lives, the experiences of others – by choices made by the entity..” (Reading 2834-1)

Another reading stated, “The influence of Mars is rather that of wrath, war, might, main, domineering, dominating...” (Reading: 417-1)

“For, as has been indicated, the characteristics, or that attained by an individual, are indicated by the sign under which the entity enters an appearance.” (Reading: 5746-1)

Cayce’s readings went beyond the planets of our solar system to show us the hidden dimension of the universe in a way that relates directly to the cosmos and the self:

“Yet there are many suns in the universe – those even about which our sun, our earth, revolve; and all are moving toward some place –yet space and time appear to be incomplete!” (Reading 5757-1)

"Our solar system was created for humankind’s evolution. Yet the soul of man, your soul, encompasses all in this solar system, or in others... Man alone is given that birthright of free will. He alone may defy his God." (Readings 5755-2, 2794-3 and 5757-1)

Cayce believed that rather than the stars ruling the life, the life should rule the stars. This puts the individual at the center of his universe and puts the responsibility squarely on him and not on the astrologer, the natal chart or the stars. It supports the view in modern astrology that the planets impel, they do not compel. Through the exercise of his free will, man is endowed with the power to literally change the cosmic blueprint of his life as might be prognosticated by the stars and the planets.

Astrology provides useful information to guide and determine the nature and timing of things as shown in an individual's natal chart. However, the primary purpose of a Cayce-based astrology reading is to “know thyself” for the purpose of soul growth, development and evolution.

For Man was created a little bit higher than the whole universe, and is capable of harnessing, directing, enforcing, the laws of the universe. The soul is eternal and lives on. It has a consciousness and awareness of that which it has built. Each entity is a universe within its own self. The body is a pattern, it is an “ensample” of all the forces of the universe. For man is not made for this world alone. (Readings 5-2, 2620-2, 279-15, 2153-6, 4082-1)

According to Cayce, “..No action of any planet or the phases of the Sun, the Moon or any of the heavenly bodies surpass the rule of man’s will power. Just as in the Earth it is known as three dimensions, yet man may think in an eight-dimensional consciousness.” (Readings 3744-4 and 3037-1)

In the view of the Cayce source, our humanity is not the final form of the human being or kingdom, but a preparation for the future state, just as the man of the past was a preparation for the man of today.

“For there is no death, only the transition from the physical to the spiritual.” (Reading 136-33) “Life is continuous and infinite!” according to Reading 1554-2.

Cayce believed that astrology is a fact in most instances, but that astrological aspects are but signs and symbols useful in understanding the road map of one's life. Use such as stepping stones only, not as definite statements of what is or is not. Use it as a guide, to gain wisdom and to understand the broader aspects of the influences and modus operandi of one's life and existence in this earth plane. Cayce stresses that we should not let astrological aspects and information become an obsession or stumbling block. One must not become an addict or believe there are no other options, solutions or alternatives for handling or dealing with a situation or problem than those described or indicated by the astrology chart.

When asked whether it would be helpful to study astrology to understand the effects of the stars and the planets, Cayce responded, “when studied aright, [it is] very, very, very much so.” (Readings 815-6 and 3744-4)"

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th October 2022)

Thanks
    How to understand your birth chart, it's not just the Sun sign that matters.

"The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st October 2022)