Thread: The insect apocalypse | DW Documentary

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts

The insect apocalypse | DW Documentary

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfTNeXOMyvY

"Published on Apr 17, 2019 by DW Documentary

The world’s insect population has declined by three quarters in the last 30 years and many species have become extinct. And it's all man's fault. This documentary looks at the dramatic consequences of this hitherto unrecognized catastrophe.

The results of long-term monitoring published in 2017 have confirmed that as much as 75 percent of the world’s insect population has disappeared in the last 30 years. The extent of species extinction is so vast that many researchers fear that it will knock the entire natural cycle of life out of balance. Not only the decline of the bee population but mass insect mortality as a whole will have devastating consequences for all the Earth’s inhabitants. Top scientists from around the globe are warning that the developments are much more widespread and serious than anyone had realized. Many animals feed on insects. Insects also help to convert dead tissue into nutrient-rich soil. In addition, they even regulate each other. Species that humans see as pests are often the preferred prey of useful predators. But massive human intervention has thrown the functioning balance in the insect world out of whack. Chemical poisons, the progressive sealing of soils and the widespread use of fertilizers are affecting the world's most species-rich animal class. This documentary looks at current studies and explains what is going wrong and where urgent action is needed. There's still some hope: although many species have been irrevocably lost, mass extinction in the insect kingdom could still be stopped - but only if humans finally begin to act against it. And we're running out of time.
    _______

DW Documentary gives you knowledge beyond the headlines. Watch high-class documentaries from German broadcasters and international production companies. Meet intriguing people, travel to distant lands, get a look behind the complexities of daily life and build a deeper understanding of current affairs and global events. Subscribe and explore the world around you with DW Documentary."

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th May 2019), Bob (26th June 2019), Elen (2nd June 2019), Emil El Zapato (30th June 2019), Kitsune (29th May 2019), modwiz (29th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Didn't take them long to nuke the account...

I found another one with the same title, but I don't know whether it really is the same documentary.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Bob (26th June 2019), Dreamtimer (29th June 2019), Elen (30th June 2019), Emil El Zapato (30th June 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Because somebody closed off a hole under the Eaves overhang, outside of the building, a whole Bumblebee hive got trapped inside the wall...but they found their way out, this spring and summer, through a vent in our toilet. We had Bumblebees hatching constantly, sitting on the window (waiting for me), 10 or so per day...I had a busy time saving them from getting trapped in the house. I renamed the little toilet: "The Bumblebee Passage."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2019), Dreamtimer (1st July 2019), Emil El Zapato (30th June 2019), Kathy (30th June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    Because somebody closed off a hole under the Eaves overhang, outside of the building, a whole Bumblebee hive got trapped inside the wall...but they found their way out, this spring and summer, through a vent in our toilet. We had Bumblebees hatching constantly, sitting on the window (waiting for me), 10 or so per day...I had a busy time saving them from getting trapped in the house. I renamed the little toilet: "The Bumblebee Passage."

That's a beautiful story, Sister.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (1st July 2019), Elen (30th June 2019), Emil El Zapato (30th June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post

that's flippin' crazy...Here in Houston Texas, fire ants and mosquitos are doing great...Though some people have pointed out that the mosquito population is mysteriously missing. I don't suggest letting one in to one's bedroom at nighttime though. Fleas are doing pretty well, also...you can ask my allergic cat about that one.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2019), Bob (30th June 2019), Dreamtimer (1st July 2019), Elen (30th June 2019)