Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Sammy's Smorgasbord

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    There is a reference to the NP-Complete problem. A problem that attempts to address the transition from a difficult to a hard problem to solve. In this context a 'hard' problem is considered 'unsolvable' by mathematics...ok...life exists without a solution...We are here, after all.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th August 2019), Aragorn (28th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019), Wind (28th August 2019)

Senior Member United States Chester's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,591 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Global Warming: Fact or Fiction? Featuring Physicists Willie Soon and Elliott Bloom

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrejG-WI3U

Is global warming real? Have any such predictions been established scientifically? Would massive “carbon” taxes and other controls put America and the world—especially the poor—at great risk?

At this special event, geoscientist and astrophysicist Willie Soon separates fact from fiction in the global warming debate. He explains why the forecasts from CO2 climate models have been so wrong—and why solar influences on clouds, oceans, and wind drive climate change, not CO2 emissions. Stanford University physicist Elliott Bloom then comments.

“The whole point of science is to question accepted dogmas. For that reason, I respect Willie Soon as a good scientist and a courageous citizen.”
    —Freeman J. Dyson, Professor Emeritus of Physics, Institute for Advanced Study; Templeton Prize Laureate

“I am writing to express my deep admiration and respect for Dr. Willie Soon, a fine astrophysicist and human being.... As Willie has shown in many ways, observational facts do not fit the CO2 dogma, and an enormous amount of evidence points to the Sun as a much more important driver of climate.... Willie was right—whatever the cause of changing temperature, the main driver cannot be the concentration of atmospheric CO2.”
    —William Happer, Chairman, Presidential Committee on Climate Security; Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Emeritus, Princeton University; Member, National Academy of Sciences

Willie Soon is a geophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. He received his Ph.D. (with distinction) in aeronautical engineering from the University of Southern California, and he has been Astronomer at the Mount Wilson Observatory; Senior Scientist at the George C. Marshall Institute; Senior Visiting Fellow at the State Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental Science at Xiamen University; and Professor of Environmental Studies at the University of Putra Malaysia. The author of 90 scientific papers, he has IEEE received the Nuclear & Plasma Sciences Society Award, Rockwell Dennis Hunt Award, Smithsonian Institution Award, Courage in Defense of Science Award, Petr Beckmann Award for Courage and Achievement in Defense of Scientific Truth and Freedom, and Frederick Seitz Memorial Award.

Elliott D. Bloom is Professor Emeritus in the Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Laboratory (SLAC) at Stanford University and a Fellow of the American Physical Society. He was a member of the SLAC team with Jerome I. Friedman, Henry W. Kendall and Richard E. Taylor who received the Nobel Prize in Physics. He received his Ph.D. in physics from the California Institute of Technology, he is the author of numerous scientific papers, and he is the recipient of the Senior Scientist Award from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.

For further information on and to order copies of the Independent Institute book, "Hot Talk, Cold Science: Global Warming's Unfinished Debate," by geophysicist S. Fred Singer, please go here:
    http://www.independent.org/store/book.asp?id=42...

The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into profound and lasting impact. The mission of Independent is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. Applying independent thinking to issues that matter, the Independent Institute creates transformational ideas for today’s most pressing social and economic challenges. The results of this work are published as books, the quarterly journal, "The Independent Review," and other publications and form the basis for numerous conference and media programs. By connecting these ideas with other organizations and networks, Independent seeks to inspire action that can unleash an era of unparalleled human flourishing at home and around the globe.
    Last edited by Chester, 28th August 2019 at 22:30.
    All the above is all and only my opinion. It may contain some sharing of components of my current operating strategy and some foundational components of my current world view - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

It's just a ride

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGD...vgBsCHmlC13jOg

https://www.facebook.com/samhunter57

http://merlynagain.blogspot.com/

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th August 2019), Aragorn (28th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019), modwiz (29th August 2019), Wind (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    I'm starting to listen now, but I want to start with point that really niggles me. Why do we have to line up as Conservative/Science Sucks! - Progressive/Science is King!

I don't know...it seems like a horrible place to conceptually/intellectually live. It is a contrived dichotomy and counter-productive to anything that wishes to make sense. Just my opinion but very very unfortunate in that it screams intrinsic bias...We have to do better, we just have to...
    We who? You? You and who else? I hope you are not including me in your we because I do not share the view that...

Conservative/Science Sucks! - Progressive/Science is King!
    Do you share that view?

If not, then who are of the "we" you referenced does? Can you name any? Are any of this group members of this forum? If so, what should WE do to them?

I am really glad I am not one of "them."

How could someone whose metaphysical cosmological world view is known as "monistic idealism" possibly be one of "them?"
    Last edited by Chester, 31st August 2019 at 17:35.
    All the above is all and only my opinion. It may contain some sharing of components of my current operating strategy and some foundational components of my current world view - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

It's just a ride

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th August 2019), Aragorn (28th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019), Emil El Zapato (28th August 2019), Wind (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    It is implicit in the platform...The self-described stupid guy hosting the 'debate' is the purveyor and unless the discussion group was unaware they should have refused to even participate. For whatever its worth, check out the body language of the 'brains'

True scientists present in scientific forums not conservative think tanks.

Just my opinion, of course...perhaps I am biased...but I doubt it.

I'm not suggesting that you are anything but what you have presented to me...A smart guy with a pretty holistic approach. The material is always what gets to me. I become an incorrigible critic of videos that I 'perceive' to not be free of bias and strictly dedicated to what it pretends to be.

As my daddy always use to say, "Don't try to bullfrog me!"
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 28th August 2019 at 22:52.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th August 2019), Aragorn (28th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    I'm in 15 minutes and so far they haven't said anything. They are discussing recent advances in microbiology that are completely irrelevant to Darwin's Theory. As one states, what the goal is is to determine the emergence of complexity...the how and perhaps later in the video, the why. The fact that Darwin was unaware of the true complexity doesn't matter. Newton formulated some fabulous natural laws not realizing the nature of relativity, nor even remotely the nature of quantum mechanics.

So what they are referring to is the fact that microbiologists have formulated new gene pairs, specifically the x/y that is able to 'pattern' new proteins and are indeed capable of creating new forms of life...so what? Does that mean Darwin's Theory no longer holds? Are they talking about walking and talking new forms. Does it say anything beyond the truism that it is an enhancement that exemplfies the 'novel', the creative spark that defines creation as validly described by Darwin in perhaps its initial form. I guess I'll find out by watching the rest but not so far.

Disclaimer: I tend to believe in the validity of Intelligent Design but not in its dichotomous form, in my chosen form... God guides! There is no reason for would be iconoclastic children to sit around in their pompous rooms and thrones and declare that they have 'seen the mountaintop'...Frankly, they would not if they had...
    Sounds like you got the point of the video without going past 15 minutes... that we should open our mind that perhaps "man" as "man" appears to be may not have evolved from apes as is the common conclusion based in large part on Darwin's theory. The mathematical issue throws a "monkey wrench" (pun intended) into the conclusion (taught in schools as fact).

Disclaimer: I lean to operating with the assumption that my physical vehicle evolved from a race of beings from another planet similar to Earth and that others evolved from a race of beings from the same other planet and also many others from many different other planets similar to Earth. In addition, I do not view God as exclusively a third party, though I am in relation with what I metaphorically refer to (among many different references) as 'my personal God.'

I share the view that this physical reality is an effect of Divine Intelligence working through Divine Law.
    Last edited by Chester, 28th August 2019 at 22:56.

It's just a ride

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th August 2019), Aragorn (28th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019), Emil El Zapato (28th August 2019), Wind (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    I become an incorrigible critic of videos that I 'perceive' to not be free of bias and strictly dedicated to what it pretends to be.
    You've just described 99% of everything on FaceTube and Twittagram.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019), Emil El Zapato (28th August 2019), Wind (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    well, I don't by necessity disagree with that possibility...But I would prefer that a 'scientist' state that is their position before they start trying to reeducate me. Not you, not me (I'm not a scientist) Scientists and mathematicians should stick to their discipline and when moving away from that state that they are offering opinions only.

Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    You've just described 99% of everything on FaceTube and Twittagram.
    unfortunately that is true Aragorn...I won't rest easy with it...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th August 2019), Aragorn (28th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019), Wind (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    True scientists present in scientific forums not conservative think tanks.
    Then you should love the video I just posted entitled "Global Warming: Fact or Fiction? Featuring Physicists Willie Soon and Elliott Bloom"

In addition, arguing for diversity would be hypocritical if scientists are relegated to scientific forums only, yes?

I happen to be a heavy libertarian that leans ever so slightly left. That doesn't mean I am unable to gather information from all types of sources and then decide for myself what I might conclude.

ohhhh I long for a forum that has resisted the descent into everything being political. How shallow much of the conversation has become these days... time for some more lull? What say you Aianawah!

It's just a ride

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019), Emil El Zapato (28th August 2019), Fred Steeves (29th August 2019), modwiz (29th August 2019), Wind (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    no...scientific forums are for science...

philosophy is for Conservative and Progressive forums.

I did do a quick check on the video you just mentioned...looks, dare I say it...challenging...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Sammy View Post
    Then you should love the video I just posted entitled "Global Warming: Fact or Fiction? Featuring Physicists Willie Soon and Elliott Bloom"

In addition, arguing for diversity would be hypocritical if scientists are relegated to scientific forums only, yes?

I happen to be a heavy libertarian that leans ever so slightly left. That doesn't mean I am unable to gather information from all types of sources and then decide for myself what I might conclude.

ohhhh I long for a forum that has resisted the descent into everything being political. How shallow much of the conversation has become these days... time for some more lull? What say you Aianawah!
    Lulling indeed, from past indicators plus n o idea because this is an ongoing new template arising imo atm, the Main lull of this atm lull had an eye ( huge pressure on many differing types of peoples brain and mind wise ) eye provided release and outs through everything from suicide to addiction embrace n Big Xtra AGING and this is imo a and the CRUX and cruX, so imo many did sacrifice in many differing ways and many did gifting But always for those that know ( important ) > Aging or Youthing end of wave happening. Will shove this over to lull thread, cheers you helped that emerge ta Sammy.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Chester (29th August 2019), Elen (29th August 2019), Emil El Zapato (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Sammy View Post
    Global Warming: Fact or Fiction? Featuring Physicists Willie Soon and Elliott Bloom
    Obama and Al Gore again? There's a pattern developing and it isn't a scientific one...Come on...let's listen to climatologists not opinion makers...

An entire hour dedicated to a comedian? I don't like it...
    Last edited by Aragorn, 29th August 2019 at 14:18. Reason: fixed your broken quoting

Thanks
    Would massive “carbon” taxes and other controls put America and the world—especially the poor—at great risk?

No, one of the primary functions of government, in spite of the claim by conservatives that it is to wage war, it is to subsidize and facilitate improvements in technical infrastructure. That approach formerly worked quite admirably...But then Al Gore the Progressive discovered Global Warming and the conservative world realized that it must be a conspiracy because Al Gore was Bill Clinton's Vice-President and they both knew Barack Obama, the Kenyan Muslim from Hawaii.

Thanks
    What the scientist is saying is what I've been saying for at least a decade regarding astrophysics and how it can be viewed/used as a model for our planet. It is what started this type of global climate research on our planet. And I would think that Gaians would be highly enthusiastic about that inclination, but conversely it seems many are actually hostile toward it. Again, that makes absolutely no sense to me...less than no sense.

Thanks
    Oh, I thought it was going to be a debate...Now that was a surprise. Scientific or not.

Because the planet is greener that means Co2 is beneficial? True, it was great for dinosaurs, perhaps not so good for humans

Thanks
    Obama and Al Gore again? There's a pattern developing and it isn't a scientific one...Come on...let's listen to climatologists not opinion makers...

An entire hour dedicated to a comedian? I don't like it...
    My bet is you are making this statement because what is being said is simply that which you do not wish to hear. And so you do as you commonly do... "name call." This works for and upon the emotionally vulnerable only.

The hope I have for mankind is that the tri-partate remains a minority. If it does not... kiss life as something worthwhile goodbye.

It's just a ride