Thread: US Campaign for president nominees 2020... who attracts YOU?

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts

US Campaign for president nominees 2020... who attracts YOU?

Who is of interest to YOU in candidates for US President? I am curious because I am thinking about who I want to support.

I have an interest in supporting principles and people I can respect and PARTICIPATING from a place of positive expectation. YES there are challenges but Consciousness of what is important is percolating. SO, I am paying attention to synchronistic information.

I was reading a short pieceabout federal Marijuana reform and came across the name Cory Booker. Cory Booker is running for president and has pledged not to take corporate PAC contributions. I am curious about him. He is very aware of the negative impact of our squeezing from corporate power.

He looks and sounds vibrant.

I am unrepentant about my views putting me in the left hand side of the "divide" but I don't accept that this is a definition... just a description of POV.
    Here is his stand on issues so far:
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Cory_Booker.htm

Here is a video link where he speaks at 1:07:00

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_B...ntial_campaign

From the above link, this is how his score breaks out.

I really agree with him about the focus of marijuana reform

EXCLUSIVE: CORY BOOKER SAYS WEED LEGALIZATION MUST INCLUDE JUSTICE FOR VICTIMS OF WAR ON DRUGS

and the idea about baby bonds is really interesting

“I’m really concerned about the wealth gap in America,” Mr. Booker said Saturday, as he addressed his proposal to curb growing inequality with “baby bonds,” a government-run savings program for children.
    Last edited by Maggie, 11th April 2019 at 16:59.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2019), Dreamtimer (12th April 2019), Elen (12th April 2019), Fred Steeves (11th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Tulsi Gabbard, I continue to be very impresssd with her, and I don't impress easily. ESPECIALLY when it comes to politicians.

The rest of the democratic field I couldn't care less about, a bunch of self serving demagogues IMO. Except for Bernie.

I find it interesting no challengers to Captain Chaos btw.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2019), Dreamtimer (12th April 2019), Elen (12th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th April 2019), Maggie (11th April 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Tulsi Gabbard, I continue to be very impresssd with her, and I don't impress easily. ESPECIALLY when it comes to politicians.

The rest of the democratic field I couldn't care less about, a bunch of self serving demagogues IMO. Except for Bernie.

I find it interesting no challengers to Captain Chaos btw.
    Hey thanks! I will investigate her more. Any break down you have can be added if you like?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2019), Dreamtimer (12th April 2019), Elen (12th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    I'm not really partial to anyone so I can't offer much...A human being would be good for starters in my very humble estimation.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2019), Dreamtimer (12th April 2019), Elen (12th April 2019), Kitsune (14th April 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Maggie View Post
    Any break down you have can be added if you like?
    Tulsi doesn't quack in shallow platitudes the way most the rest of her fellow dem ducks on the campaign trail do. I've no intention of being an advertisement for her, but the stand out thing I like most about her is her anti war, and anti regime change stance that has the msm sharks circling in for the quick kill shot. She even has the female cojones to demand an end to the CIA arming terrorist networks such as ISIS in Syria.

She's a veteran, has seen the costs of war (on both sides) over in Iraq, and that's her inspiration to speak out against our insatiable appetite for endless war and conflict.

It's interesting that while msm despises her for this sort of renegade opinion, independent media types love the shit out of her for the same thing. I actually think she may me the dark horse in this mad scramble, her message has a chance of catching fire, and I'm looking forward to seeing her on the debate stage.

Addendum:

Just happened to notice this recent Tweet, and it's typical, ballsy Tulsi speaking truth to power. I hope this kind of thing doesn't earn her an unfortunate "accident", or even a straight up old fashioned bullet to the head if she gains enough traction:

The arrest of #JulianAssange is meant to send a message to all Americans and journalists: be quiet, behave, toe the line. Or you will pay the price.
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 11th April 2019 at 21:29.

Socrates

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2019), Dreamtimer (12th April 2019), Elen (12th April 2019)

Thanks
    Fred, I'll bow out of this discussion quickly...but I want to 'get' in front of this one:

We won't know the 'message' until the entire story is heard AND then the message will be whatever the penalty is for whatever he has done or not done. In the United States people don't get life for being assholes...though with Trump that could yet be proven wrong.

I think the 'other' guy is a better measure of what is and what ain't...What's his name...the movie guy...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I know you probably like this but this drops her off my 'human' list

"Differentiating herself from many Sanders supporters, Gabbard in 2016 met with President Donald Trump because of their similar views on immigration and handling of terrorist threats. She later admonished then-Trump aide Steve Bannon for his analysis of her politics."

She's with the wrong party...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't make another mistake Fred...she is a wolf in wolf's clothing, I"m thinking even her parents don't like her:

"Tulsi Gabbard, the first Hindu lawmaker from Hawaii in the US Congress, is considering to run for American presidency in 2020, according to sources close to her.

On Friday, at a Medtronic conference in Los Angeles an eminent Indian-American Dr Sampat Shivangi introduced Gabbard, 37, and said that she could be the next president of the US in 2020. The brief statement was marked by a standing ovation, in the presence of the four-term Congresswoman from the 50th US State. Gabbard, a Democrat, who addressed the gathering, however neither confirmed or denied that she is running for president in 2020.

A decision on this could be taken before Christmas, which might not necessarily result in a formal announcement as that could be delayed till the next year, people familiar with her thinking process told PTI.

However, it is said that she and her team has quietly been reaching out to prospective donors, including a large number of Indian Americans, and volunteers to build an impressive campaign for her 2020 run.

Given that Gabbard is highly popular among Indian-Americans, a constituency she has nurtured from the very beginning of her political carrier, it is but natural that her team has quietly started reaching out to this community, which is considered as the richest ethnic group after the Jewish Americans. And in many critical States, Indian Americans can play an important role in her electoral chances.

Gabbard is not Indian. She was born in American Samoa to a Catholic father (Hawaii State Senator Mike Gabbard) and her mother, Carol Porter Gabbard, is of Caucasian descent who professes Hinduism. Gabbard moved to Hawaii when she was two and embraced Hinduism as a teenager and is well-versed in the scriptures.

If Gabbard declares her presidential bid she would be the first Hindu candidate ever from a major political party to announce to enter the race for White House. And if elected in 2020, she could be the youngest ever and first woman to be elected as the US president.

A Democrat, Gabbard last week was elected for the fourth term for the US House of Representatives.

Notably, Dr Shivangi is a Republican and has been the party’s delegate for the past several presidential conventions. However, he had held fund raisers for Gabbard when she ran for the Congress for the first time in 2012. She was the first US lawmaker to take her oath on Bhagwat Gita.

A former vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee, Gabbard currently serves on powerful House Armed Services Committee and House Foreign Affairs Committee. She is also the Democratic Co-Chair of the Congressional India Caucus.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2019), Dreamtimer (12th April 2019), Elen (12th April 2019), Maggie (15th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanks to Fred, I've started looking at candidates and, of course, my top priority for a candidate is a sense of humanity...any candidate Independent, Repub, or Dem. Naturally, a number of Dems are exhibiting this trait with the exception of Gabbard. A grounded, calm, and likeable candidate that stands out for me right now is Pete Buttigieg...I already have a campaign slogan for him...The Butti...Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!

This is a guy by nature that will treat everyone equally and commensurate with their ethical and behavioral character. Good people will be treated well and bad people will be treated with compassion but will be restricted to limit their social damage.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2019), Dreamtimer (12th April 2019), Elen (13th April 2019), Maggie (15th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Tough Tulsi couldn't even interview with Ana. I don't respect that personally. It reminded me of Nikki Haley running away from reporters. It's weak.

I don't have a favorite or choice yet.

As of mid-February:
    To date, Sens. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.), and Kirstin Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), as well as Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) and former San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, have all vowed not to take corporate PAC dollars for their 2020 campaigns, attempting to portray their independence from corporate influence. “I don’t believe democracy should be for sale to billionaires and giant corporations,” Warren said during a campaign event last month.
    This page has a breakdown of all candidates running, not just Dems. Marian Williamson is on the page.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 12th April 2019 at 12:43.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2019), Elen (13th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (12th April 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Tough Tulsi couldn't even interview with Ana. I don't respect that personally. It reminded me of Nikki Haley running away from reporters. It's weak.
    Meh, figured I'd go ahead and revive this thread on that comment. It reminds me of the following line from "Coward of the County" by Kenny Rogers:

His mama named him Tommy, but folks just called him yellow
    Something always told me, they were reading Tommy wrong
    Remember how that song ends...

I'm telling you straight up DT, you're "reading Tommy wrong" here, and in monumental fashion. I'm not here to argue about it, just to officially have it out there once and for all.

What you consider weak and cowardly because of some weird little tiff with Ana the drama queen (she did after all do that interview with Cenk, with Ana in the same room), that no one even knows the details of, is actually something unprecedented in this country: a modern day warrior princess genuinely seeking peace and prosperity for not only her people, but for all people.

This is something I never in a million years expected to see in American politics, and if I'm somehow wrong about it I'll gladly come back to this thread at the appropriate time and humbly eat my hat. Mark my words though this one is special and is going to catch fire in the market place of ideas.
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 14th April 2019 at 16:18.

Socrates

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th April 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    "reading Tommy wrong"

Mark my words though this one is special and is going to catch fire in the market place of ideas.
    I like Tulsi Gabbard now I am paying attention to her.
    I agree she has great potential.

I am submitting this evidence of how the "opinions that be" is deciminating stupid about her. Joe Rogan is the BEST interviewer of these smug stupids who are passed off as experts.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS-sxJFn6O0

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th April 2019)

Thanks
    Because you brought it back up I just watched that Jimmy Dore clip for the third time now Maggie. A classic, a funny as hell! For a self proclaimed "dumb jaggof comedian" Jimmy's wit and insights cuts straight to the bone, and they all point out so astutely how Joe Rogan literally dismantles this New York Times bimbo by just asking simple questions. Why, who'd have ever thought of doing that LOL!

It's amazing that many comedians these days can school the so called "journalists" on what's really going on right before their eyes, and I think they came up with the perfect new term for these people: "Smugnerant".

The smugnerance is starting to show...
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 14th April 2019 at 17:32.

Socrates

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th April 2019), Elen (15th April 2019), Maggie (15th April 2019)

Thanks
    I got my impression of Gabbard by reading information put out by her supporters... What I always do...

there's not much chance she would get a nomination...Her natural style will alienate everyone not just Trump haters or supporters. that equals 100% of the voting pop.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 14th April 2019 at 17:50.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th April 2019), Elen (15th April 2019)