Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: The Lines Have Been Drawn

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    And that then, Fred, brings me back to the problem with US American society in and of itself, namely that the idea of competition has been built into the fabric of the American way of life. Capitalism is about competition. The USA ─ like all fascist regimes ─ also puts a lot of emphasis on team sports, and thus on competition. The US military-industrial complex makes its living off of war and is always looking for an enemy ─ which is also a form of competition, i.e. "us versus them".

Any which way you turn it, the concept of competition is a quintessential part of the American DNA. The switch has only two positions ─ either you're one or you're the other. And the switch may get flicked back and forth a couple of times over the years, but it's still a two-way switch, and it'll always remain a two-way switch, because the average US American doesn't know any better ─ they have no choice but to identify with one of the two sides of the same coin, because American Exceptionalism forbids that the USA as a nation would find inspiration from anything outside of the USA. US American culture is an export product, and the USA does not and will not import any cultural or intellectual values from outside of its own borders. Again, American Exceptionalism ─ the ludicrous belief that in spite of all of its internal struggling and all of its social unrest, the USA would still be superior to any other nation or culture in the world.

And that brings me to another quote ─ I'm not sure who said it originally, but I believe this one may also have come from Albert Einstein...

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results."
    Excellent analysis! Competition... like most things that are neither good nor bad, in and of themselves... in the good ole USA... is...

WAAAAAY PAST THE BALANCE POINT!!!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th April 2019), Aragorn (5th April 2019), Dreamtimer (5th April 2019), Elen (5th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (5th April 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    21 years now. Yes, I used to test her patience with the cheering on and p
    raise of Bush and the neocons (sounds like a band!), and crap like the latest blatherings of Rush Limbaugh.
    Such a profound change! Were such to happen to me i might liken it to a personal paradigm shift. I'm takin' liberty to borrow from the recent words of a friend who said to me what i will now say to U...

...It sounds like you have a story to tell,
    or at least some well earned anecdotes to share...

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th April 2019), Aragorn (5th April 2019), Dreamtimer (5th April 2019), Elen (5th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (5th April 2019), Fred Steeves (5th April 2019), Wind (5th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by palooka's revenge View Post
    Such a profound change! Were such to happen to me i might liken it to a personal paradigm shift.
    Yes it was most certainly an earth shattering paradigm shift, with many others to follow since late '08, and they still come along from time to time. Once the mind learns to become open and flexible it tends to like it and stay that way.

One thing I really do want to emphasize however is that just as Joe Rogan most accurately said to Ben Shapiro (in reference to all the hate he gets) when he had him on his podcast recently: "There's nothing wrong with being Conservative".

Or being Liberal for that matter.

IMO they need each other just the same as yin needs yang and vice versa. The trouble comes with say, the neos on the extremes of both sides, the factions dead set on unending war and demonization of the other. In real life there *is* no such thing as "Conservatives are all this whatever awful thing", and "Liberals are all that whatever awful thing".

THAT, is the very root of where the battle lines of never ending spite and divisiveness lay buried deep in our collective psyche. Both of good faith on both sides have things of value to bring to the bargaining table, problem is that table is forbidden at all cost to attend.

How DARE we speak to the enemy! No different than how DARE we speak or bargain with other nations deemed "The Enemy"...
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 5th April 2019 at 15:00.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th April 2019), Aragorn (5th April 2019), Elen (5th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (5th April 2019), palooka's revenge (5th April 2019), Wind (5th April 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Tulsi's a veteran. And she's tough, right? So what's the trouble with doing an interview with Ana?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgWQYrb2Kc0

At 5:28 David shows Ana talking about how this is the "first time that a politician has come into my home and told me I wasn't allowed to do my job".

Hmmm...

Here is the piece about Tulsi that Ana did.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZaTh9mUVo

At 12:30 Ana points to US intervention and the trouble it causes.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th April 2019), Aragorn (6th April 2019), Elen (6th April 2019), Emil El Zapato (5th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Joe Rogan most accurately said to Ben Shapiro...
    They had some other interesting things to talk about too.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th April 2019), Aragorn (6th April 2019), Dreamtimer (8th April 2019), Elen (6th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    At 5:28 David shows Ana talking about how this is the "first time that a politician has come into my home and told me I wasn't allowed to do my job".

lol...when I said she seemed like an inherently decent person...I was lying...I was trying to be agreeable.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th April 2019), Aragorn (6th April 2019), Dreamtimer (8th April 2019), Elen (6th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    They had some other interesting things to talk about too.

That interview is a great example of how Right and Left can sit down and have a productive conversation.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th April 2019), Aragorn (6th April 2019), Elen (6th April 2019), Wind (6th April 2019)