Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange sounds heard all round the world 11th and 12th March

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Crabs? Seriously? That's hilarious.

Ah, the roar of crab-mating season. Each spring the beach just vibrates with it...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th March 2019), Elen (15th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (15th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Crabs? Seriously? That's hilarious.

Ah, the roar of crab-mating season. Each spring the beach just vibrates with it...
    Well, it was once postulated that UFOs were swamp gas. (J. Allen Hynek did later on in his life make amends for that blunder, and he became a genuine UFO researcher. )
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th March 2019), Elen (15th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (15th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    I'm very glad I found a video which had the sound that you described sarahdita. I find these things fascinating. And many people do have these kinds of experiences. Telling stories is one thing, but recording the sound for others is key.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 16th March 2019 at 09:23.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th March 2019), Elen (16th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (16th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019), sarahdita85 (16th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    This is a stream of posts from my neighborhood chat board:

Anyone else hear that loud boom every few minutes? It’s shaking my house. It’s been going on for several hours.

I haven't heard anything

I don't know what it is but I can feel the vibrations out here in Brook Forest. Low rumbles. Constant.

Are you both on the second floor?

First floor.

Maybe it had to do with the pipeline going in along Space Center. The vibrations went on until maybe 4a.

I could hear a low rumbling noise around 2:00 a.m. that seemed loud like a large truck running, but could tell that it was from a refinery perhaps. We were driving back from La Porte around 1:00 a.m. and they had shut off part of Bay Area for what looked like a delivery of something and the officer that diverted us said that this would take a couple of hours. We were then diverted to Port Rd., 146, and on to Red Bluff where we were again diverted to Kirby from Red Bluff. Basically, there was some activity going on to shut down the roads around Bay Area and Red Bluff intersection. I'm thinking that it might be connected with the rumble noise.

It's possible it's the fracking going on under our homes.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th March 2019), Dreamtimer (17th March 2019), Elen (17th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019)

Retired Member Ireland
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 263 Posts
    I thought that too but as far as I am aware, we have no tracking at all in Northern Ireland. When they suggested it the councillors car got blown sky high. Same reason we dont have toll roads in the North. They would just blow them up too.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahdita85 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Not sure there is a hard connection between the sounds and this report:

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne...1-38a5c9134309

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019)

(account terminated) England
    Thanks
    How about the planet grumbling and rumbling as it has to deal with the increase in solar rays hitting the core ?
    The core eventually has to repel some energy outward despite the planet surface continually expanding due to the same source pressures .

That is the cutting edge explanation but is not accepted by the American Left who think it is WH subsidence .
    In case the Left here think that the real explanation is a conspiracy theory , let me query whether the timing coincides with NAP and Aggies amplified screams as various pennies begin to drop .

Thanks
    ...thanks for the laugh...Did you know that the sea level was rising because of all the rocks falling in it?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    5 sounds science can’t explain

From mysterious skyquakes to enigmatic undersea shrieks, Lauren Fuge finds five sounds that have defied scientific explanation.

A lot of unexplained sounds – some one-offs, some repeating – have been reported around the world.

Some have remained mysteries for years before finally being solved, such as the ‘Bloop’, an extremely powerful, ultra-low-frequency sound so loud that not even a blue whale could belt it out. A frenzy of speculation followed its 1997 discovery by deep sea microphones. Was there some even larger animal lurking in the unexplored deep, bigger than anything we’ve ever known? No, it turns out: 15 years later, scientists declared that the Bloop was caused by an enormous ice shelf cracking apart in the Antarctic.

The Bloop is not the only sound to stir up excitement with thoughts of the unknown; many sounds still have scientists scratching their heads. Let’s take a look at five.

1. The Hum

A constant, low-frequency sound has been plaguing people around the world since at least the 1960s, from Canada to New Mexico, Scotland to New Zealand. Most who hear it say it sounds like a truck engine idling and earplugs don’t help to block it out. Called the Hum, it is so well documented that we even have some stats: it can only be heard by about 2% of the population, it is generally present indoors, it becomes louder at night, it is heard more often in rural and suburban areas, and it tends to be heard by middle-aged people.

Some doubt the Hum is even a physical sound; in a fraction of cases it may be the result of psychology, with people focusing too hard on ambient noise. But for most, the Hum appears to be very real.

Many obvious sources have been ruled out, such as highway noise, industrial equipment, the electricity grid and phone towers. Other theories of varying plausibility have been suggested, such as earth tremors, mating fish, power or gas lines, tunnelling under the Earth, wireless communication devices, and the obligatory aliens.

A study by geoscientist David Deming, of the University of Nebraska, suggests the Hum may actually be a result of Very Low Frequency (VLF) radio transmissions used by military powers. Other research suggests the Hum comes from natural terrestrial or geological phenomena. It is a well-studied fact that animals seem to be able to predict earthquakes, so perhaps some humans have the same mechanism.

2. Skyquakes

Skyquakes are another sound heard around the world. From the River Ganges in India to the Sea of Japan, these mysterious booms sound like cannon fire rumbling down from the sky. They are commonly heard near water, occasionally rattling windows and plates. Some have been explained by military aircraft breaking the sound barrier, but that doesn’t account for reports of skyquakes heard as far back as 1824.

Scientists have come up with a few likely causes. Near coasts, the booms may be caused by enormous waves crashing against the cliffs. Sand dunes are also capable, through unexplained mechanisms, of producing sounds including, on rare occasions, large booms. Other options are meteors generating sonic booms as they speed into the atmosphere; shock waves caused by coronal mass ejections from the Sun smashing into the Earth’s magnetic field; distant volcano eruptions; far-off thunder redirected through the upper atmosphere; deep earthquakes making noise by cracking the crust; and gas belching up from underground vents beneath ocean or lake beds.

As with the Hum, it is likely that a combination of these explanations are the culprits.

3. The 52-Hertz whale

Now for a sound that may break your heart: a distinctive whale call that is different to any other whale we know. The sound has been tracked in the North Pacific by a classified array of navy hydrophones since 1992, but has never been seen oThe Upsweep may be caused by undersea volcanoes.r studied close-up. Intriguingly, its movements appear to be unrelated to those of other whales, though they share certain similarities with blue and fin whales. The short, frequent calls are at an unusual 52 Hz, much higher than other whale species; blue whales usually call between 10–39 Hz and fin whales at 20 Hz.

To explain this strange song, scientists speculate it comes from an animal that may be malformed or a hybrid such as the offspring of a blue whale and a fin whale. Others simply suggest it may sing in a dialect. Though the sound has been dubbed as the call of “the loneliest whale in the world”, whale vocalisation experts are quick to point out it has many of the same features of a typical blue whale song, so other whales can definitely hear it – and possibly even respond to it. This whale is just a bit of an oddball.

4. The Upsweep

The Upsweep is composed of a long train of sounds that sweeps repeatedly upwards like an unearthly howl, from low to high frequency. It was first detected in the Pacific ocean in 1991 by the autonomous hydrophone arrays of the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Interestingly, it changes throughout the year, peaking in spring and autumn, although scientists are unsure whether this is due to changes in the source or changes in the environment the sound travels through.

The Upsweep has a plausible but unconfirmed explanation: undersea volcanoes. It is thought the sound may result from hot lava pouring out into cold seawater. Though it can still be detected, the level of the Upsweep has been slowly declining since its initial discovery.

5. Colossi of Memnon

Many of these sounds have been heard for decades or even centuries, but let’s go back millennia to the strange case of the singing Egyptian monument.

PHYSICS
    West of the River Nile near Luxor, Egypt, two massive twin stone statues stand proudly. Called the Colossi of Memnon, they are a tribute to Pharaoh Amenhotep III. In 27 BC a large earthquake shattered part of one of the colossal statues, cracking the lower section and collapsing the top. Soon people began to notice something strange – the statue started to ‘sing’. The sound usually came at dawn and was primarily reported in February or March, though that probably indicates the tourist season rather than a real trend, as the mysterious sound drew people from all over. To Greek historian and geographer Strabo it sounded like a blow, while Greek traveller and geographer Pausanias compared it to the string of a lyre breaking.

Scientists today speculate the sound was caused by a rise in heat and humidity in the ruins of the stone as the Sun rose. But they can’t check their theory, because although the statues are still around, the sound is not. In about 199 CE, Roman emperor Septimius Severus ordered the repair of the earthquake damage – and the singing disappeared.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 17th March 2019 at 16:55.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th March 2019), Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Christopher View Post
    How about the planet grumbling and rumbling as it has to deal with the increase in solar rays hitting the core ?
    The only problem with that explanation is that the solar rays aren't hitting the core. They don't even come anywhere near the core. The crust blocks them long before they get there.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th March 2019)

Thanks
    I just looked Aragorn, he might have been conflating the more energetic cosmic rays with 'solar' rays. A mistake you wouldn't think a 'smart' person would make...if they were serious...

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    5 sounds science can’t explain

[...]

1. The Hum

A constant, low-frequency sound has been plaguing people around the world since at least the 1960s, from Canada to New Mexico, Scotland to New Zealand. Most who hear it say it sounds like a truck engine idling and earplugs don’t help to block it out. Called the Hum, it is so well documented that we even have some stats: it can only be heard by about 2% of the population, it is generally present indoors, it becomes louder at night, it is heard more often in rural and suburban areas, and it tends to be heard by middle-aged people.

Some doubt the Hum is even a physical sound; in a fraction of cases it may be the result of psychology, with people focusing too hard on ambient noise. But for most, the Hum appears to be very real.

Many obvious sources have been ruled out, such as highway noise, industrial equipment, the electricity grid and phone towers. Other theories of varying plausibility have been suggested, such as earth tremors, mating fish, power or gas lines, tunnelling under the Earth, wireless communication devices, and the obligatory aliens.

A study by geoscientist David Deming, of the University of Nebraska, suggests the Hum may actually be a result of Very Low Frequency (VLF) radio transmissions used by military powers. Other research suggests the Hum comes from natural terrestrial or geological phenomena. It is a well-studied fact that animals seem to be able to predict earthquakes, so perhaps some humans have the same mechanism.

[...]
    I too can hear the Hum, but I haven't always been able to. I suspect it's because as we grow older, our ears grow bigger too, making us more sensitive to very low frequencies. But anyway, for the last two to three years, I've been hearing it too, and I suspect it would be caused by geological activity.

Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    I just looked Aragorn, he might have been conflating the more energetic cosmic rays with 'solar' rays. A mistake you wouldn't think a 'smart' person would make...if they were serious...
    Well, even cosmic rays don't travel that deep. This is why certain physics experiments are conducted underground, so as to shield them from the influences of cosmic radiation.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (17th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    lol...you're right...hmmm!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I bet there are more bloops now. There are more shelf cracks happening.

The sound of ice cracking when standing on a frozen lake is disconcerting.

The sound of 15 black vultures taking off is amazing.

The sweet silence of departure...that sounds good, too.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th March 2019), Elen (18th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (18th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    The sound of thin ice-skating.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th March 2019), Dreamtimer (19th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (18th March 2019), Kathy (19th March 2019)