Thread: The Royal Institution: What Happens When Maths Go Wrong? (Matt Parker)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts

Thumbs Up The Royal Institution: What Happens When Maths Go Wrong? (Matt Parker)

Another lecture I seriously recommend, even if only because of its entertainment value. This guy is really hilarious.

DESCRIPTION

Most of the time, the maths in our everyday lives works quietly behind the scenes, until someone forgets to carry a '1' and a bridge collapses or a plane drops out of the sky.

Matt Parker is a stand-up comedian and mathematician. He appears regularly on TV and online: as well as being a presenter on the Discovery Channel. His YouTube videos have been viewed over 37 million times. Previously a high-school mathematics teacher, Matt visits schools to talk to students about maths as part of Think Maths and he is involved in the Maths Inspiration shows. In his remaining free time, Matt wrote the books Things To Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension and Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors. He is also the Public Engagement in Mathematics Fellow at Queen Mary University of London.

Find where to purchase Matt's new book, Humble Pi:
    wwwh.umble-pi.com

DURATION

1 hour 8 minutes

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th March 2019), Elen (11th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2019), Gio (11th March 2019), Kathy (10th March 2019), tarka the duck (10th March 2019)

(account terminated) England
    Thanks
    A wonderful English tradition with the Christmas lectures for young people being a highlight .

Suggest you also show the Brian Cox lecture on the Quantum Universe for beginners . 'Strangeness' in all of its true glory .

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th March 2019), Kathy (10th March 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Christopher View Post
    A wonderful English tradition with the Christmas lectures for young people being a highlight .

Suggest you also show the Brian Cox lecture on the Quantum Universe for beginners . 'Strangeness' in all of its true glory .
    i hope u, he, or someone does... oh, wait... all i gotta do is search it... duh!!

edit... i see a bunch o em... help!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th March 2019), Dreamtimer (11th March 2019), Elen (11th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2019), Kathy (10th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Christopher View Post

Well, you'll have to be more precise than that, because Brian Cox has a whole bunch of lectures on YouTube that are related to the topic of quantum mechanics. And, you are of course free to post it yourself, if you have the link.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (11th March 2019), Elen (11th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2019), Kathy (10th March 2019)

(account terminated) England
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, you'll have to be more precise than that, because Brian Cox has a whole bunch of lectures on YouTube that are related to the topic of quantum mechanics. And, you are of course free to post it yourself, if you have the link.

I watched one or two when shown on TV and enjoyed them , as reminders of the period when I sailed from Einstein , took to Quantum and then Subquantum Kinetics . Joseph Farrell is very knowledgeable in

these areas . Pity you missed interviewing him as he has that rare ability to translate complex matters into a very easy to understand narrative . I will have a word with him when we next speak .

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christopher For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th March 2019), Dreamtimer (11th March 2019), Elen (11th March 2019), Kathy (10th March 2019)