Thread: The Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2018: Evolutionary Biology & Genetics (Alice Roberts & Aoife McLysaght)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,967 Times in 20,254 Posts

Thumbs Up The Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2018: Evolutionary Biology & Genetics (Alice Roberts & Aoife McLysaght)

I want to give a special shout-out to these three lectures by Alice Roberts and Aoife McLysaght because of the format of their presentations. These very scientific lectures were specifically intended for an audience of children and teenagers, and the way Alice and Aoife present the material ─ with the help of guests, volunteers, games, artists, lots of humor, and meticulous preparation ─ is unlike anything I've ever seen.

Tap into your inner child and explore the wonders of science.

• Alice Roberts is the 2018 Christmas Lecturer, a biological anthropologist, author and broadcaster. She is Professor of Public Engagement in Science at the University of Birmingham.

• Aoife McLysaght is the Genetics Society Guest Lecturer for the 2018 Christmas Lectures and Head of the Genetics Department at Trinity College Dublin, where she has led a research group focusing on Molecular Evolution since 2003.

Where do I come from?

In the first lecture of the 2018 Christmas Lectures Alice Roberts and Aoife McLysaght explore the tree of life and see where humans come from.

(Duration: 1 hour)

What makes me human?

In the second lecture of the 2018 Christmas Lectures Alice Roberts and Aoife McLysaght explore human evolution.

(Duration: 1 hour)

What makes me, me?

What makes humans human? And what makes every person an individual?

(Duration: 57 minutes)
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Cearna (23rd February 2019), Dreamtimer (23rd February 2019), Elen (23rd February 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd February 2019), Kitsune (2nd March 2019), tarka the duck (24th February 2019), The One (24th February 2019), Woody (23rd February 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    These two look like a lot of fun. Had I pursued my science studies and ended up teaching, I would want to be like these two. (At least that's what I think, this is first reaction to seeing the post and their images, I still need to actually view)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd February 2019), Elen (23rd February 2019), tarka the duck (24th February 2019), The One (24th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,967 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    These two look like a lot of fun. Had I pursued my science studies and ended up teaching, I would want to be like these two. (At least that's what I think, this is first reaction to seeing the post and their images, I still need to actually view)
    Oh, I was under the impression that you had actually been a teacher. But yes, these two women cover in one hour (or less) what most teachers struggle to cover in an entire semester, and they're doing it in a very fun way too. They know how to captivate their audience, and they explain things really well.

These three videos are well worth the watch. I was already impressed by their presentation style after watching the first of the three lectures they did, but now that the Royal Institution has uploaded the two other lectures ─ and after watching them ─ I felt that I needed to share them here. (And especially so now that we're being hit with some fanatic pseudoscience again. )
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (24th February 2019), Elen (24th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (23rd February 2019), tarka the duck (24th February 2019), The One (24th February 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I meant teaching science. I never taught science. I was a long-term substitute for beginning French language studies and did fill-in substitute work for varied subjects. I also did some tutoring which touched on various topics but was mostly focused on study skills and time management.

And I worked with three-year-olds who are just precious.

My son has done some outdoor education and has a knack for teaching. I'm not sure if he'll become one. He majored in biology and may continue studying science at the grad level.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th February 2019), Elen (25th February 2019), tarka the duck (24th February 2019), The One (24th February 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    The Royal Institution Christmas lectures were compulsory viewing in our house when I was growing up.
    Wonderful stuff

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tarka the duck For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th February 2019), Dreamtimer (25th February 2019), Elen (25th February 2019)