Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Pres. Trump Proposed Getting Rid of Food Stamps?

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,305 Posts

Has Pres. Trump Proposed Getting Rid of Food Stamps?

Trying to find facts on the internet is a challenge, to say the least.

What is Pres. Trump's position on food stamps?

In my opinion, the mainstream media, for the most part, cannot be trusted to even care about what his true position is.

So, to begin searching for an answer, I googled whitehouse.gov on the question.

Here is an article:

Welfare Work Requirements Will Ease Poverty and Improve Our Labor Force

July 25, 2018

Trump administration policies are responsible for a faster growing, more robust economy, which is incentivizing millions of Americans to get off the sidelines and back into the job market. But to continue to grow our economy, we will need capable workers. One place to find these workers is among low-income Americans who currently receive welfare benefits. While our welfare programs provide important assistance to help families make ends meet, especially in bad economic times, they don’t do enough to encourage work and eventual self-sufficiency in good times.

The Trump administration recognizes this issue, which is why President Donald Trump signed an executive order in April instructing agencies to encourage and require work in welfare programs whenever possible under current law.

A new report from the President’s Council of Economic Advisers shows why these efforts could bring more potential workers into the workforce. During the 1990s, a bipartisan effort transformed our cash welfare system by requiring and rewarding work among recipients. The result was an increase in single mothers’ employment, a lesser reliance on welfare programs and a reduction in poverty. But today, most welfare assistance to low-income families comes via non-cash programs such as health insurance and food stamps that do not require most non-disabled recipients to work or prepare to work in return for these taxpayer-provided benefits.

Work is the best way to escape poverty

As we show in our report, perhaps contrary to conventional wisdom, in a given month, the majority of Medicaid and food stamps adult beneficiaries are of working age and not disabled. Focusing solely on this “expected to work” population, we find that the majority do not work. That’s a problem because work is the single most important way to escape poverty, providing both “dignity,” in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 50 years ago, as well as the promise of more income than is possible while receiving welfare. And, in this hot economy, jobs are available.

Richard V. Burkhauser is a member of the White House Council of Economic Advisers. This op-ed appeared in USA Today on July 25, 2018. Read the full article here.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/...e-labor-force/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th February 2019), Elen (9th February 2019), Kathy (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,152 Times in 7,347 Posts

Thinking

Will share this here ...

Quote Originally posted by giovonni View Post
    If i may ...

Mary - a simple internet search might reveal more on this ...
    But i sense Dreamtimer might be referring to this Trump item ...

Trump administration wants to scrap food stamps and give poor people boxed food instead

Proposal condemned by anti-hunger charities who argue it shares parallels with wartime rations
    and soup lines during Great Depression ... Read more here

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th February 2019), Elen (10th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (9th February 2019), Kathy (10th February 2019), WantDisclosure (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Hi,

you found an extremely bad article. All official statistics compiled by sociologists, psychologists, economists, and Democrats fly in the face of this statement. I'm very serious...Worldwide research indicates that fully 80-87 percent of welfare recipients would prefer to be working 'If They Could'. There are numerous practical logistical factors working against them. For example, explain how a blind, wheelchairbound diabetic dependent on dialysis will be better off without food stamps?

If you can convincingly answer that question with a good example of how, I will hereby on the spot change my worldview without reservation. Get real, person. Our attitudes toward our fellow people shapes our information filter. It seems we need some work, huh?

Further, if you can tell me how a working person that is displaced from their job....layoffs, natural disasters, etc...will benefit by having no social welfare backup. It makes absolutely no sense. Kind of like those that don't like to pay taxes but love perfect highways, parks, and schools. f*ck....

Burkhauser, Philipson, and Hassett are all assh*les out of contact with reality. How do I know that...they were appointed by one Donald J. Trump
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 9th February 2019 at 18:19.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th February 2019), Elen (10th February 2019), Gio (10th February 2019), Kathy (10th February 2019), WantDisclosure (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    I took a look at that article Giovonni...I know nothing about the 'Indpendent' but I find it curious that I'm finding prominent black faces accompanying the article. It would be more appropriate to apply representative faces...

Most SNAP recipients who can work do so. Among SNAP households with at least one working-age, non-disabled adult, more than half work while receiving SNAP — and because many workers turn to SNAP when they are between jobs, more than 80 percent work in the year before or after receiving SNAP.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/policy...e-program-snap

Center on Budget and Policy Prioritiies
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 9th February 2019 at 18:49.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th February 2019), Elen (10th February 2019), Gio (10th February 2019), Kathy (10th February 2019), WantDisclosure (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Will share this here ...
    Giovonni,

Only Dreamtimer can answer the question put to her about her statement about something being evil.

Additionally, there are no simple internet searches. The internet is a jungle.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th February 2019), Elen (10th February 2019), Kathy (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I answered on the other thread.

When we had welfare reform, oh so long ago, people were no longer allowed to be on it perpetually. There were a lot of other changes. And the administration got no credit. People were still running around saying we needed reform after it happened.

And one thing most people didn't seem to know is that most people on welfare were white women. Mothers. White Mothers. Around 70%.

But of course people wanted to talk about black "Cadillac Moms" who are supposedly having more babies for more money. If people think you can buy a Cadillac by having more babies on welfare then they're deluded.

And yet that is what people were glomming onto.

Because it's much easier to sell an idea when you have a image that gets to peoples' emotions.

So the effort will likely involve whatever the modern "Cadillac Mom" will be determined to be. The media will play along, and even more people, as in children, will be hurt.

I beginning to see the depth of what Mark Passio talks about. The callous cruelty is in fact Satanic.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th February 2019), Elen (10th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2019), Gio (11th February 2019), Kathy (10th February 2019), WantDisclosure (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    The results from a Startpage search brought up articles from Fox, Alabama news, Reuters, Cleveland5, and more.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th February 2019), Elen (10th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2019), Kathy (10th February 2019), WantDisclosure (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Hi DT,

For Whatever Its Worth:

Bill Clinton in his post presidential book cited what he felt was his two biggest mistakes as President... Not acting appropriately to the Rwandan genocide and his willingness to enact counterproductive welfare reform.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th February 2019), Dreamtimer (10th February 2019), Elen (10th February 2019), Kathy (10th February 2019), WantDisclosure (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanks, NAP. I knew there were problems. That's the problem with selling out. If you're gonna try to effect change, don't do it in a stupid, short-sided way.

It is possible to work with other teams to make something bigger and better than each is on its own. But we have to put aside our egos to do it. Not so easy.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th February 2019), Elen (10th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (10th February 2019), Gio (11th February 2019), WantDisclosure (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Will share this here ...
    Okay I see the source is a UK newspaper Independent.

I'm curious, giovonni, since you replied to my question to Dreamtimer, where the word "evil" was used in a post about Trump and food stamps, do you consider the Independent to be a reliable source?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th February 2019), Dreamtimer (10th February 2019), Elen (11th February 2019), Gio (11th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by WantDisclosure View Post
    Okay I see the source is a UK newspaper Independent.

I'm curious, giovonni, since you replied to my question to Dreamtimer, where the word "evil" was used in a post about Trump and food stamps, do you consider the Independent to be a reliable source?
    I can't speak for my brother Gio, but within the limited scope of mainstream media that I occasionally look at, I for one consider The Independent fairly reliable.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (11th February 2019), Elen (11th February 2019), Gio (11th February 2019), WantDisclosure (11th February 2019)

Thanks

Question

A look back from August 2016 ...

A titled thread that i started on Bill Ryan's forum on the future possibilities on electing Donald Trump ...

In regards to and his association with befriending evil ...
    Noting his physical labor has never had anything to do with it ...

wink/wink

The Devil and Donald Trump

Alone in his bedroom on a dark and stormy night, Donald Trump was inventing some tax returns, when the devil appeared before him.

“Fear not,” the devil said. “You need not file tax returns. Ever. Also, I will make sure you are elected president this year and again in 2020.

“But in return, you must sell me your soul. You must betray all decent principles. You must pander, trivialize and deceive. You must gain victory by exploiting bigotry, fear, envy and greed. And you must conduct a campaign based on lies, sham, hype and distortion.”

“So?” Trump said. “What’s the catch?”

It could have been worse. The devil could have asked Trump to prove he really had “bone spurs” that kept him out of the Vietnam draft. Or prove he knew that Crimea was part of Russia. Or prove that he knew anything about the U.S. Constitution.

The Constitution! Jeez, Louise! Nobody told Trump that was going to be on the final.

And now everybody on his staff was running around screaming and shouting as if presidents had to know stuff. At the very beginning of his campaign, Trump had put together what he called his “Brain Gang” made up of political experts (whom none of the other campaigns would hire).

A few months later, the leader of the Brain Gang would be ... what’s-his-name. The guy who looked like he combed his hair with teeth whitener. Pence. That was it. Mike Pence. Mr. Personality.

But who had vetted Pence? And speaking of vetting, they couldn’t have found a veteran to put on the ticket?

Trump went over to the World Wide Interweb machine that his kids had bought him so they wouldn’t have to answer his questions. Trump typed in: “How many veterans are there in the United States.”

The machine answered instantly: “There are 21.8 million veterans of the U.S. armed forces as of 2014, according the Census Bureau ... ”

In 2012, neither party had a veteran on the ticket, which was the first time since 1932. Both Pence and Democratic vice presidential nominee, Tim Kaine, have sons in the Marines. The last veteran to be on a major party ticket was John McCain in 2008. McCain, a retired Navy captain, was ridiculed by Trump for being captured by the North Vietnamese.

But here it was, 2016, and some bald guy with a round head, Khizr Khan, takes a copy of the Constitution from his suit jacket pocket and says Trump didn’t know what was in the document and how Trump had “sacrificed nothing” for his country.

Trump knew a trap when he saw one. He went over to his Interweb machine and found out the Constitution could not possibly be kept in a jacket pocket. In fact, the Constitution is on display in a row of large glass cases in the Rotunda of the National Archives Museum. You would need a crane to lift it.

So Khizr Khan lies, and this was one of the rare times that Trump had proof.

“Mr. Khan, who does not know me, viciously attacked me from the stage of the DNC and is now all over T.V. doing the same — Nice!” Trump tweeted Monday.

“This story is not about Mr. Khan, who is all over the place doing interviews,” Trump also tweeted, “but rather RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM and the U.S. Get smart!”

ABC’s George Stephanopoulos had gotten all snippy about the whole thing on Sunday, asking Trump why Khan had accused Trump of sacrificing nothing for his country.

And, when you think about it, Trump had not only sacrificed nothing personally to fight RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM, but in his almost 71 years on this planet, it appears Trump had never done much, if any, public service whatsoever.

This might not be so striking, except that prior public service used to be considered a prerequisite for election to the presidency.

So Stephanopoulos ran the TV clip of Khan denouncing Trump. And this is what followed:

Stephanopoulos: “He said you have sacrificed nothing and no one.”

Trump: “Well, that sounds — who wrote that? Did Hillary scriptwriters write it?”

Stephanopoulos: “How would you answer that father? What sacrifice have you made for your country?”

Trump: “I think I’ve made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I’ve created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures.”

Stephanopoulos: “Those are sacrifices?”

Trump: “Oh, sure. I think they’re sacrifices.”

And, in a way, Trump may be correct. As to the “great structures” he has built, Trump has sacrificed almost all sense of taste, artfulness, style and creativity.

So maybe he did that deal with the devil after all.

By Rodger Simon
    Source: politico.com

PS ~ My thread was not well received then, but seeing how things turned out politically
    for Donald Trump, I'd say i was vindicated for my curiosity then and critical views now.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th February 2019), Elen (11th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th February 2019)

Thanks
    A look back from August 2016 ...

Source: politico.com

PS ~ My thread was not well received then, but seeing how things turned out politically
    for Donald Trump, I'd say i was vindicated for my curiosity then and critical views now.
    Are you avoiding my question, or does Aragorn speak for you, and I should know that?
    Last edited by WantDisclosure, 11th February 2019 at 08:52. Reason: Remove tags

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th February 2019), Elen (11th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th February 2019), Gio (11th February 2019)

Thanks

Thinking

Quote Originally posted by WantDisclosure View Post
    Are you avoiding my question, or does Aragorn speak for you, and I should know that?

Noting you have participated on these forums for many years ...

My above thanks to Aragorn for his post speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Gio, 11th February 2019 at 09:18.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th February 2019), Elen (11th February 2019), Emil El Zapato (11th February 2019)

Thanks
    Noting you have participated on these forums for many years ...

My above thanks to Aragorn for his post speaks for itself.
    Huh?

Cannot compute.

What do you, giovonni, say to my question, "Do you consider the Independent to be a reliable source?"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th February 2019)