Thread: Google employees consider the word “family” to be hate speech

Retired Member Ireland
    Thanks

Google employees consider the word “family” to be hate speech

ok, is it just me, or is this reality just getting more unbelievably crazy by the day ?

https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-01-...te-speech.html

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thetimeisright For This Useful Post:

Chris (19th January 2019), Dreamtimer (20th January 2019), Elen (20th January 2019), Fred Steeves (19th January 2019), JRS (20th January 2019), Kathy (20th January 2019), modwiz (19th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,099 Times in 20,304 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by thetimeisright View Post
    ok, is it just me, or is this reality just getting more unbelievably crazy by the day ?

https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-01-...te-speech.html
    No, it's not just you. The world is becoming crazier by the day, and the technology sector happens to be one of the driving forces behind that epidemic of insanity. But that said, the fact that the author felt the (undoubtedly uncontrollable) need or urge to insert the far-right meme "snowflake" into that article discredits them as neutral observers.

P.S.: Please do not just post naked links without at least a couple of paragraphs from the article you're referencing. Not everyone here has the time -- or, for reasons of computer security, the inclination -- to blindly click on some link.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (19th January 2019), Dreamtimer (20th January 2019), Elen (20th January 2019), Emil El Zapato (19th January 2019), Kathy (20th January 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    I'm sort of a centrist on most issues, but I scratch my head at the craziness of the far-left in the Anglosphere. This is the sort of thing we used to have under communism, but it's actually far worse now. I would even agree with James Howard Kunstler, that at least in campuses and other liberal strongholds, it has descended into a twilight version of Maoism.

I'm constantly amazed how different Hungarian (and Polish) society is to this craziness. Not always in a good way, but I think I prefer the relative freedom of speech in terms of not having to be politically correct and watch every word you say. I honestly don't think I would last long in a liberal stronghold in the US, I'd probably be arrested within 30 seconds of opening my mouth. I also don't apologise without good reason. Fake apologies are for the weak-minded. If I offend someone, even inadvertently, well, then they are offended. Good for them. I bet it makes them feel all good and righteous inside. Glad I could help. Now eff off.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th January 2019), Dreamtimer (20th January 2019), Elen (20th January 2019), Kathy (20th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,167 Times in 11,949 Posts
    It's a bad starting point if you judge anything from a verifiable crazy right wing b*llsh*t story. It just can't be done...

That's like me saying: Conservatives hate Christians. Most central american immigrants are hard core believers in Jesus Christ and look at how Fundamentalists are out to get them. Holy Sheeitt, the world is getting crazier every day.

Actually, it took a few minutes for it to sink in. The story is obvious nonsense but given a spirited effort to twist reality beyond all recognition there could be a point behind it. One has to recall that Google employees (if we're talking about information workers) are not fools and any hint even a highly peripheral one regarding the right wing 'family' meme it could make sense that they view it as hate speech. It is hate speech in the hands of the average brainless conservative speaker.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 19th January 2019 at 21:24.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th January 2019), Chris (20th January 2019), Dreamtimer (20th January 2019), Elen (20th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,089 Times in 2,652 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    the fact that the author felt the (undoubtedly uncontrollable) need or urge to insert the far-right meme "snowflake" into that article discredits them as neutral observers.
    Yeah, you got that right. Soon as I saw it was "Natural News", I knew I needed to look a bit deeper beyond their well known hard right bias and go to the article's source, which was "The Daily Caller". While it looks like "The Daily Caller" is also a hard right wing organization, they claim to have actually obtained internal Google documents proving the story true.

So hey no matter which team makes the wild claim, if they can offer some hard core evidence then it just doesn't matter as Bill Murray would say. Unlike how Mueller jumped in quickly to buzz kill yesterday's "Buzzfeed" hopium concerning Captain Chaos and Michael Cohen, I haven't seen any Google executives denying this latest bizarro world shit.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th January 2019), Chris (20th January 2019), Dreamtimer (20th January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    You won’t get arrested for speech, Chris. That’s not happening.

I still speak as I always have and when people try to give me grief I push back. I tell them when they’re unreasonable and I explain things.

Sometimes prople are just looking for an excuse to judge others. That’s something people have been doing forever. PC is just a recent tool. Before that it was decency or some other measure. I’ve even seen people use patriotism to try to shut other people up.

The word ‘family’ has been politicized in this country. The right has put on the mantle of family values, as if it would be some kind of partisan trait. They’ve campaigned on it and maligned the left for lacking it.

It’s bullshit and now people are pushing back. That’s how it happens.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th January 2019), Chris (20th January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019), Emil El Zapato (20th January 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    You won’t get arrested for speech, Chris. That’s not happening.
    Maybe not in the USA, but here in Europe, yes, you could very much get arrested for saying something that has been labeled "hate speech" by the mainstream political parties. For instance, I myself am not a Holocaust denier -- far from it -- but Holocaust denial is officially a criminal offense here in Belgium, as well as in Germany and several other European countries.

Likewise, even an innocent joke about homosexuals could get you arrested for hate speech these days. Here in Belgium, the Brussels district even has an actual LGBT police squad, whose exclusive job it is to report on what is officially called "gay-bashing". And that does include innocent jokes, depending on how sadistic, power-hungry or psychologically unstable the reporting officer and the prosecutor are.

Sometimes prople are just looking for an excuse to judge others.
    Yes, my parents were always looking for an excuse to judge me. <sour grin>

The word ‘family’ has been politicized in this country. The right has put on the mantle of family values, as if it would be some kind of partisan trait.
    This is once again not an exclusively US American tendency. The far-right is a reactionary populist movement. It will always appeal unto values and misunderstandings that the lesser-educated members of society cling onto, because they know that this is what wins them voters.

Over here, they'll even throw Catholicism in the mix when it comes to their anti-immigrant stance. They claim that Europe is traditionally Catholic and must not succumb to Islam. Now, personally I'm not a fan of Islam and I would certainly (and absolutely) hate to see this country become an official Muslim state, and to have Sharia recognized as the official law around here. Fortunately, our politicians are still sane enough to reject Sharia, so that's not going to happen.

And yes, most of Europe has traditionally been Christian -- not necessarily Catholic, because the Netherlands and Germany have always been predominantly Protestant -- but all organized religions are merely power structures and tools for psychological and social manipulation. So to grasp onto an alleged "home base religion" as an argument against immigration is lame.

But that's how the common man thinks -- Joe Sixpack, who has never had a proper education. The Joe Sixpack I'm talking of concretely here -- as I see them in the streets of Belgium -- are people with very strong knee-jerk reactions. And populists know that, which is why they're throwing those cards on the table. Hell, many of those populists have been Joe Sixpacks themselves.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (20th January 2019), Dreamtimer (21st January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019), Emil El Zapato (20th January 2019)

Thanks
    Hi Aragorn,

Isn't also true that one can be prosecuted for calling someone a 'Nazi'? Is so, there is the balance...it is true natural law/social justice. That is the measure of human decency...what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. We aren't animals and animal behavior shouldn't be tolerated despite all the 'herd' speech in favor of it.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th January 2019), Chris (20th January 2019), Dreamtimer (21st January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Hi Aragorn,

Isn't also true that one can be prosecuted for calling someone a 'Nazi'?
    I can't say for certain, but if so, then this would have been a very recent addition to the list of things one can no longer legally say, and possibly in response to complaints from far-right pressure groups.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (20th January 2019), Dreamtimer (21st January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019), Emil El Zapato (20th January 2019)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Maybe not in the USA, but here in Europe, yes, you could very much get arrested for saying something that has been labeled "hate speech" by the mainstream political parties. For instance, I myself am not a Holocaust denier -- far from it -- but Holocaust denial is officially a criminal offense here in Belgium, as well as in Germany and several other European countries.

Likewise, even an innocent joke about homosexuals could get you arrested for hate speech these days. Here in Belgium, the Brussels district even has an actual LGBT police squad, whose exclusive job it is to report on what is officially called "gay-bashing". And that does include innocent jokes, depending on how sadistic, power-hungry or psychologically unstable the reporting officer and the prosecutor are.
    Yes, you're right, I've actually made that very same point on another thread.

And in Hungary, there is a big exception to generally accepted free speech. Anti-semitic hate speech is actually taken seriously and people have been arrested for it. However, given the country's history with the Holocaust and very recent Neo-Nazism, I think that is a necessary evil. It ain't pretty, but sometimes you have to restrict people's freedom for their own good, if society at large benefits from it. I do not believe in absolute freedom to do whatever you want, there should be some rules and restrictions.

It is a fine balance and I know plenty of people here who would get themselves into serious trouble if they lived in the UK or Western Europe. The very idea that homosexuality or mass / Islamic immigration would be remotely acceptable and healthy is treated as ludicrous by society at large. That is something the EU completely fails to understand. You would have to literally slaughter half of the population, before such alien ideas would ever have a chance of taking root here. Most people I know would be willing to take up arms and use violence before they accepted some of these policies that the EU takes as normal.

I am actually mostly with the EU on this one and I appreciate their moderating influence in tackling Islamophobia, Homophobia and Racism, but there are certain nations (Russia and Poland would be other examples) that are very unlikely to become bastions of liberalism. It simply doesn't suit the people's general temperament.
    Last edited by Chris, 20th January 2019 at 15:03.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th January 2019), Dreamtimer (21st January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019), Emil El Zapato (20th January 2019)

Thanks
    I spoke with a missionary sometime back that made an excellent point (you run into the weirdest people at car shops...Russian emigres, Palestinians, missionaries...etc)

Russians for example are very comfortable with authoritarianism...it is what they know and it is what makes them 'sane'.

The Russian emigres had been in the U.S. for over 20 years and when i introduced myself it was because they were speaking Russian and it made me curious. I had worked with the engineer husband...same environment...NASA.

They were in love with Putin because he was a solid religionist and it was fantasy to believe he was ever hostile to America.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 20th January 2019 at 15:14.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th January 2019), Chris (20th January 2019), Dreamtimer (21st January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019)

Retired Member Ireland
    Thanks
    i would not post a link unless i had checked it out first

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetimeisright For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (21st January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by thetimeisright View Post
    i would not post a link unless i had checked it out first
    That is not the point, thetimeisright. A naked link tells us nothing and forces us to navigate to an external website. Your personal opinion of that external website may not correspond to other people's opinions of it.

Is it really that hard to copy and paste a few paragraphs from the original article and let people decide for themselves whether they want to read the rest?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (21st January 2019), Elen (21st January 2019), Emil El Zapato (20th January 2019)