Thread: TED: How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime | Nadine Burke Harris

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts

TED: How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime | Nadine Burke Harris

DESCRIPTION

Childhood trauma isn’t something you just get over as you grow up. Pediatrician Nadine Burke Harris explains that the repeated stress of abuse, neglect and parents struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues has real, tangible effects on the development of the brain. This unfolds across a lifetime, to the point where those who’ve experienced high levels of trauma are at triple the risk for heart disease and lung cancer. An impassioned plea for pediatric medicine to confront the prevention and treatment of trauma, head-on.

DURATION

17 minutes

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th January 2019), Chris (14th January 2019), Dreamtimer (14th January 2019), Elen (14th January 2019), Emil El Zapato (15th January 2019), Kitsune (26th January 2019), palooka's revenge (19th January 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    What an articulate woman - very easy to listen to. The subject of which she speaks is becoming evident - more and more people are realising that childhood abuse is long lasting. In recent weeks several people have opened up conversations with me about the lifetime impact of childhood abuse. Always sad to see the professionals catching up to what some of us already know - without the statistics and research.

Much Peace - As we try to make this planet a safer place for all Children - Amanda

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th January 2019), Cearna (19th January 2019), Dreamtimer (19th January 2019), Elen (17th January 2019), palooka's revenge (19th January 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Thx Aragorn and Amanda. I put this up on my FB wall....

Lyle Lovette said...

They all sat around in a circle
    Laughin' and all tellin' lies
    Then the tall one, he bumped it a dollar
    He said, boys, I got nothin' to hide

If the King and the Queen stood together
    Then the Ace, he would not be to blame
    And if the cards were all laid on the table
    Then love could be more than a game

So, who's the ACE?

palooka sez.... THIS....

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th January 2019), Cearna (19th January 2019), Elen (19th January 2019)