Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021

Thread: All Down The Line

Thanks
    Thanked 27,530 Times in 5,224 Posts

Returning Topic

The latest ...

FAMOUS GRAVE TOUR - San Diego #1 (Patti Page, Karen Black, etc.)

Welcome to Hollywood Graveyard, where we set out to remember and celebrate the lives of those who lived to entertain us, by visiting their final resting places. Today we're heading south to San Diego, where we'll find such stars as Patti Page, Karen Black, Bobby Driscoll, and many more.

Full list of stars visited today:
    Paul Tanner, Junior Seau, Susan Morrow, John & Pearl Early, Dick Simmons, Merritt Bohn, Bobby Driscoll, Karen Black, Lloyd Haynes, Jonas Salk, Dorothy Kelly, Milburn Stone, Billy Daniels, Violet La Plante, Patti Page, Ray Kroc, Sheila Darcy, Preston Foster.

Jun 5, 2020

19:38 minutes

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to giovonni For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th June 2020), Dreamtimer (6th June 2020), Elen (6th June 2020), NotAPretender (6th June 2020), Octopus Garden (12th June 2020)

Thanks

Question

With an early arrival of the hurricane/tropical storm season here in the States - We should all stay alert to the current trending global tidal incursions along the coastal areas ...

Rising threat from the seas | DW Documentary

How high will the oceans rise due to climate change? The projections are the subject of dispute, with scientists continually correcting their estimates upward. Is this just panic-mongering or are these scenarios within the realm of possibility?

Can we make any reliable predictions about the world’s oceans? If all the ice in Antarctica and Greenland were to melt, sea levels would rise by more than 66 meters. The consequences for coastal populations are gradually becoming clear. By 2100, coastlines around the world could change radically. The research being conducted by marine scientists will decide how affected regions can prepare for the disaster on the horizon. At what point will governments have to consider evacuating areas on the basis of cost-damage analyses? It is a process that has already begun in places like the United Kingdom.

Jun 6, 2020

42:25 minutes

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to giovonni For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th June 2020), Dreamtimer (10th June 2020), Elen (9th June 2020), NotAPretender (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (12th June 2020), Wind (10th June 2020)

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,399 Times in 10,363 Posts
    Too bad we trashed so many of our wetlands. They are the sponge, the absorber of force, the filter. They would help vastly to mitigate damage. But alas, we saw no value in them. Animals? Plants? Pah! Let's make money!!!

Now, let's lose a bunch of money too from the damage wrought.

Full circle, you know.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2020), Elen (11th June 2020), giovonni (10th June 2020), NotAPretender (10th June 2020), Octopus Garden (12th June 2020)

Thanks

Question

Will share this here

Dave Chappelle sounds off on
    George Floyd, blasts Candace
    Owens in surprise special

By Audrey Cleo Yap, Variety

June 12, 2020

"Dave Chappelle does not hold back in a new Netflix special titled “8:46,” which the streaming platform surprise debuted for free on its YouTube comedy channel late Thursday.

In a set rife with his signature searing social commentary (warning: the language is raw), the comedian touches on everything from George Floyd’s death to being unable to accept a Grammy Award on the day Kobe Bryant died, to the hypocrisy of conservative TV host Laura Ingraham — and even throws in a signature bit about Ja Rule for levity.

“It’s hard to figure out what to say about George Floyd, so I’m not going to say it yet,” Chappelle opens, flipping through a black notebook, later adding, “I got to tell you, this is like the first concert in North American since all this s–t happened, so like it or not, it’s history. It’s going to be in the books.”

The special was filmed on June 6 in Yellow Springs, Ohio, with coronavirus-era social distancing guidelines in place for attendees, including face masks and temperature checks. The comedy legend had not performed on stage in 87 days until the special, though he has since performed similarly intimate gigs around the Dayton area.

In contrast to his opening remarks, Chappelle dives deep into topics of police brutality and Floyd’s death in the set. The Emmy winner also criticizes political commentator Candace Owens, saying, “I seen Candace Owens try to convince white America, ‘Don’t worry about it. He’s a criminal anyway.’ I don’t give a f–k what this n—– did. I don’t care what this n—– did. I don’t care if he personally kicked Candace Owens in her stanky p—-. I don’t know if it stanks, but I imagine it does. If I ever find out, I’ll let you know for sure. I’ll tell like Azealia Banks. I’ll tell.”

Dave Chappelle (far right) has plenty to say about George Floyd and Candace Owens in “8:46.”

“8:46” references the nearly nine minutes that Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin held his knee against Floyd’s neck, ultimately leading to his death. It is also, as Chappelle reveals, the time of day he was born, according to his birth certificate.

The 27-minute video came with the disclaimer “From Dave: Normally I wouldn’t show you something so unrefined, I hope you understand,” with a link to the Equal Justice Initiative, a nonprofit organization aimed at ending mass incarceration and racial inequality. Its founder, Bryan Stevenson, was the central character in the 2019 film “Just Mercy,” starring Michael B. Jordan and Brie Larson."

8:46 - Dave Chappelle

From Dave: Normally I wouldn't show you something so unrefined, I hope you understand

To find out more about how you can support the Equal Justice Initiative go here: support.eji.org/chappelle

Jun 11, 2020

27:20 minutes

Last edited by giovonni, 12th June 2020 at 20:27.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to giovonni For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th June 2020), Dreamtimer (13th June 2020), Elen (13th June 2020), modwiz (13th June 2020), NotAPretender (12th June 2020), Octopus Garden (12th June 2020), Wind (13th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 22,825 Times in 5,401 Posts
    that's something...
    "A large infusion of cash will cure most forms of fanatacism" - Thumbnail Biographies

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NotAPretender For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th June 2020), Dreamtimer (13th June 2020), Elen (13th June 2020), giovonni (13th June 2020), Octopus Garden (12th June 2020), Wind (13th June 2020)

Thanks

Thumbs Down

Poison Incorporated ...

Bayer and the bees | DW Documentary

"Insecticides are sometimes necessary in farming. But some substances, like neonicotinoids, kill not only pests but bees as well. Now the Bayer Group, one of the main manufacturers of these pesticides, is coming under pressure.

Scientists around the world have found that neonicotinoids are the main cause of mass bee deaths. Research has shown that a number of insecticides should have been banned long ago. For years, the Bayer Group has sought to silence the critics and pressure scientists into not publishing their findings.

For more than two decades, experts have been warning of the negative effects of neonicotinoids, with a whole range of studies published on the subject. It would appear that the industry, aided by the authorities, managed to successfully delay any ban on these substances for years. Studies show that neonicotinoids not only kill pests, but also bees and other beneficial insects. Dutch toxicologist Henk Tennekes was among the first to recognize the problem. He believes neonicotinoids are the most toxic insecticides ever produced. He discovered a study carried out by Bayer itself, back in 1991, which found that a particular neonicotinoid had a negative effect on the nervous system of a fly species. These effects were said to be "irreversible”. Tennekes then confronted the company with his findings. He was taken aback by the response: "Bayer now claims” he says, "that the binding of critical receptors in the nervous system by neonicotinoids is reversible. So they’re contradicting the results of their own study. ... If they had considered what impact this substance has, they would have had to take it off the market."

Scientists in France also analyzed mass bee deaths and likewise identified an insecticide made by Bayer as the culprit. Toxicologist Jean-Marc Bonmatin reveals how the company then sought to prevent the results from being published. Meanwhile, toxicologists in Japan discovered that neonicotinoids also harm other creatures, such as fish and river crabs. There too, Bayer sought to suppress publication."

Jun 16, 2020

28:25 minutes

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to giovonni For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th June 2020), Dreamtimer (17th June 2020), Elen (17th June 2020), modwiz (16th June 2020), NotAPretender (16th June 2020), Octopus Garden (16th June 2020)

Super Moderator United States Dreamtimer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,399 Times in 10,363 Posts
    Scientists around the world have found that neonicotinoids are the main cause of mass bee deaths. Research has shown that a number of insecticides should have been banned long ago. For years, the Bayer Group has sought to silence the critics and pressure scientists into not publishing their findings.
    This is something scientists have long endured. And before this it was outright being put to death for their 'heresy'.

Being anti-science in this day and age boggles the mind. At least it boggles mine.

Money before people.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th June 2020), Elen (18th June 2020), NotAPretender (17th June 2020)